Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A little disappointed

A little disappointed

Old May 1st 2002, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice
Default A little disappointed

Hey All-

I was at my interview this morning at 10:10 in Boston. The experience was relatively painless, BUT I did NOT get a stamp. She asked all the normal questions, "Are you living together", "Where did you meet" and was very friendly. It turns out that they are not immedietely approving people with quick interviews from period of filing AOS due to new INS laws. The I-81(I think) which is the approval from CIA was not there yet. They need that clearance to stamp the passport. The FBI already OKed the case, but not the CIA...yet...! So, that is why I could not get the stamp today. The officer was nice enough to say that they are penned to get a response out by May 7th, so I should hear from them via mail shortly thereafter.

She assured me that it would be OK and our lawyer who was with us said that this has been happening to almost everyone in the last month since the CIA clearance requirements have changed. So, we are back to waiting for another week or two anxiously watching the mail... I am sooooo bummed...

-- Gaude
Old May 1st 2002, 5:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little disappointed

Don't be. The interview is over. Everything went well. So you have to make another trip to Boston proper for the I-551 stamp. But that can be made into a fun trip. Take the wife with you, visit a nice restaurant for lunch either in Little Italy, Chinatown or F_____ Hall (can't remember the spelling). Walk through the Rose Kennedy Rose Garden, or eat at the Oyster House and sit in the booth that JFK use to like to sit in when he went to Harvard.

You are just feeling let down from the nervous high you were on.

Rita
Old May 1st 2002, 10:40 pm
Des

Gaude,

sorry to hear that you did not get a stamp - BUT: you are approved!!! Congratulations
anyway!!! And if they have given you an internal date of May 7, at least you have
some idea that it should only be about a week away that you are getting the CIA
approval and then the stamp. Just look at the glass as being half full... even if it
means that you have to come back to get the stamp. But I think they can issue it asap
in Room E-170 anyway, with no waiting time...

Congratulations again!
- Des (another Boston-approved spouse

Old May 2nd 2002, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice

Thanks guys-

That makes me feel better. I have been a bitter hubby today...
My wife is a sweetheart to put up with me. She, as always, was unfazed and has moved on to planning our trip to Greece starting June 11...

I am hoping to have a stamp by then, but even if not, I could travel on the A.P. I presume. I am still a little down, but am sure I will bounce back soon. I will keep you guys posted as I get more news in the mail. Well, my lawyer sent me an invoice for his payment (he said that is how confident he was that I would get it.. not sure if that is good or bad...

Hope you are all having a great day...

-- Gaude
Old May 2nd 2002, 6:40 am
Shelley

Is it ever a good day when a lawyer sends you an invoice for payment?? Congrats on
your interview. Take Care. Shelley

"gaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks guys-
    >
    > That makes me feel better. I have been a bitter hubby today... My wife is a
    > sweetheart to put up with me. She, as always, was unfazed and has moved on to
    > planning our trip to Greece starting June 11...
    >
    > I am hoping to have a stamp by then, but even if not, I could travel on the A.P. I
    > presume. I am still a little down, but am sure I will bounce back soon. I will keep
    > you guys posted as I get more news in the mail. Well, my lawyer sent me an invoice
    > for his payment (he said that is how confident he was that I would get it.. not
    > sure if that is good or bad...
    >
    > Hope you are all having a great day...
    >
    > -- Gaude
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 7th 2002, 11:40 am
Andy Platt

"gaude" <[email protected]> wrote:

> She assured me that it would be OK and our lawyer who was with us said that this
    > has been happening to almost everyone in the last month since the CIA clearance
    > requirements have changed. So, we are back to waiting for another week or two
    > anxiously watching the mail... I am sooooo bummed...

I figured they would do this. A few years ago the CIA backlogs were so extreme, INS
enacted a policy of allowing adjustment of status without the CIA check having been
done. They would then get the CIA results later and, if there was a problem,
retroactively deny the AOS. After 9/11 I was waiting for those rules to change!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.