British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Little advice please... wk 3 in NC ...Driving Licence problem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/little-advice-please-wk-3-nc-driving-licence-problem-504448/)

gryff31 Jan 8th 2008 2:15 am

Little advice please... wk 3 in NC ...Driving Licence problem

Hello

Its our 3rd week here in North Carolina, all is going well apart from people cannot understand a word I say and look at me like I have 3 heads.

However if someone could help with following..

We have finally received our SSN's and need to get a NC driving licence, do we have to do both the theory and practical test or is it just the theory test?? We keep getting told different things by the Driving agency.

Any suggestions on places to buy a used car?? we curently living nr Pineville Charlotte.

Also

Any Ideas on Grocery stores that sell english food, Harris Teeter seems to do some of the basics, anywhere else??? as I'm really struggling with US foods its just so sweet!!! and I'm 8months pregnant and could die for a decent meal!!!

Thanks

Emma :thumbsup:

lisag8070 Jan 8th 2008 2:43 am

Re: Little advice please... wk 3 in NC ...Driving Licence problem

Hello and welcome to BE

first question, do you have an US Driving licence or only a UK one?

if you already have a US one, then you'll only do the written test. (if nothing has changed in the past 2yrs that is)..

but if its the UK, you may have to do both (it depends on how the DMV lady is feeling)

as for food...IMHO I find fresh market to be a really good option, you can find many UK foods there and the stuff they sell (bakery and Deli) are seriously good..

World market is also good for "snacky stuff" ie, chocolates and sweets...but you should also find different kinds of sauces (salad cream, HP) as well..

Sue Jan 8th 2008 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by gryff31 (Post 5755444)
Hello

Its our 3rd week here in North Carolina, all is going well apart from people cannot understand a word I say and look at me like I have 3 heads.

We have finally received our SSN's and need to get a NC driving licence, do we have to do both the theory and practical test or is it just the theory test?? We keep getting told different things by the Driving agency.

Any suggestions on places to buy a used car?? we curently living nr Pineville Charlotte.

Also

Any Ideas on Grocery stores that sell english food, Harris Teeter seems to do some of the basics, anywhere else??? as I'm really struggling with US foods its just so sweet!!! and I'm 8months pregnant and could die for a decent meal!!!

Thanks

Hi Emma,

Welcome to the site.

In my opinion the best place to buy a used car in Charlotte is Car Max. You don't have to haggle over the price and all the cars have been fully checked over before they sell them. We've bought 3 over the years from them and can highly recommend them. There is one right by you on South Boulevard.

British Goodies? It depends what you are after. You can get Tetley British Blend teabags and Heinz baked beans and some other small items from Harris Teeter. If you are looking for things for your sweet tooth check out World Market, also on South Blvd, just up the road from the Car Max. Fresh Market on Pineville-Matthews road also has the odd British item.

Welcome to Charlotte. Give me a shout if you need any more pointers. I'm just up the road from you.

Sue

Bob Jan 8th 2008 4:38 pm

Welcome to BE :)

No idea on the driving stakes in NC, but check the states DMV website for requirements...as for Brit goods, plenty of shops sell them if you keep an eye out, stop n shop, wholefoods etc..and online :)

NC Penguin Jan 8th 2008 5:15 pm

Hello

Also

Thanks

Welcome to BE and greetings from another British expat living in NC (Durham, in the Triangle).

I had to do all three parts of the NC driving test to get a license (I had only a provisional British license when I arrived). The three parts (signs, multiple choice and practical) are very straightforward. I would suggest doing all three for a laugh. You can search on this forum to read my account of my NC driving test.

Of the local grocery stores, Harris Teeter is the most high quality followed by Kroger then Food Lion. All sell some British foods, at least in my area. There's no Lowes near me so I can't comment about that chain.

For an alternate source of British foods, are there any Indian grocery stores near you? If so, check them out. Indian grocery stores (as well as restaurants) are plentiful in Durham and the stores sell a surprising selection of British goods. e.g. teabags, Horlicks, chocolates and sweets, baked beans, cream crackers, barley water, etc.

If you're craving British chocolate, head to a World Market. This chain sells non-perishable foods and as the name suggests, sells imported stuff. However, check the country of manufacture for Cadburys and other British brands. World Market does sell non-British made Cadburys and other well known British brands.

fern Jan 8th 2008 5:25 pm

Hello

Thanks

Hi and welcome:) when me and my family arrived here in Dallas, Texas we had to do both as we only had the UK license. Both tests were pretty simple so dont panic....:eek:
Also, english food l found Target, Kroger and Albertsons are good for a few hoome comforts...also, try online there are some good sites out there. Good luck :thumbup:

mayhemuk Jan 8th 2008 5:31 pm

Find your State DMV site and look for the Drivers Handbook on said site.
That should tell you all you need to know.
It's also worth a read since there are certain things that are different from State to State aswell as from the UK.
Eg. Here it is a illegal to drive without your headlights on if you are having to use your wipers. Don't know if this holds for the whole country.

Good luck!

Bluegrass Lass Jan 8th 2008 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 5759028)
Eg. Here it is a illegal to drive without your headlights on if you are having to use your wipers. Don't know if this holds for the whole country.

Nope, we don't have that law.

My OH also had to take the written and road test to get his license in Kentucky. Between the written and the road test, he held a Learner's Permit for about 5 weeks (the min. was 30 days).

Bob Jan 8th 2008 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 5759362)

My OH also had to take the written and road test to get his license in Kentucky. Between the written and the road test, he held a Learner's Permit for about 5 weeks (the min. was 30 days).

They have that law up in Maine too, but it's never upheld.

NC Penguin Jan 8th 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 5759028)
Find your State DMV site and look for the Drivers Handbook on said site.
That should tell you all you need to know.
It's also worth a read since there are certain things that are different from State to State aswell as from the UK.

Good luck!

This is also true of NC but I've seen so many drivers who don't obey that law when they have their wipers on!

Jerseygirl Jan 8th 2008 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 5759362)

We have that law in NJ.

stllurnin48 Jan 8th 2008 8:39 pm

Hello

Also

Thanks

I moved over to Florence South Carolina in September 2005 and got a job with the In laws. I had to take my driving test again, and had to do the whole thing, which involves theory and practical in S.C. It was fairly easy though so I wouldn't worry too much.

I sympathise with you and the accent problem. I have the same problem and I have a southern accent.I find talking really slow helps, and as time passes you will get to know a little of what they are saying.After all, they do speak a form of English, (I think!!)

Anyway if I can help at all let me know. I am about 30 miles from Pineville, if that!

gryff31 Jan 9th 2008 12:59 am

Thank you everyone for your kind advice, I definately be checking out Carmax and try and pick up a car soon so I can get the driving test out of the way. :thumbup:

Its nice to get some advice from others, It can definately be a little confusing moving to a new country! But no regrets so far.

Cheers

Emma