Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'List of what to do and when'

'List of what to do and when'

Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice
Default 'List of what to do and when'

Hey all,

I've just read the thread and corresponding wiki for 'What to do and when' as my H1B is getting underway and I want to be prepared and ahead of the game.

I would like a little clarification on the annual physical, dental & eye recommendation. Is this something I should do as soon as I get to the US or is this something I should do now and ask for copies of the results to take with me? Do I ask my GP to do anything in particular or ask for a 'general all-over checkup'?

I'm going to call my GP's practice today and request copies of my medical records and vaccination history. Hopefully this wont be too expensive

Thanks all!
Leo
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'List of what to do and when'

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
I would like a little clarification on the annual physical, dental & eye recommendation. Is this something I should do as soon as I get to the US or is this something I should do now and ask for copies of the results to take with me?
Can you please post the link where you read this? AFAIK, there's no requirement for an annual physical, dental or eye exam.

Ian
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think its from the wiki suggested things to do--not a required thing. Getting a physical and check up in the UK (where it is free) might not be a bad idea before you head over and deal with all the hassles of a new insurance company, new doctors, etc. If you are currently under treatment for something you can get a supply of medicine to tide you over until you get settled in the US with a new doctor and health insurance.

But it's not a requirement--just getting one last visit in with the NHS while it's still free.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

Ah, I see! I wasn't sure if it was something that would be a good idea to do in order to then present the results to the medical insurers out there or to my new doctor/dentist/optician etc

Thanks for clearing that up

And yes, I was referring to that wiki article of advisory things to do before/during/after moving (as opposed to requirements for the Visa).

Thanks!
Leo
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We got a print out of our vaccinations and any major medical results from the doctors and provided it to the insurance and to our new doctors. This was free. Particularly handy if you have kids so that they can get the form signed for school. We also got a quick summary of our dental records for the insurance folk. This was also free.
If you are on any long term medication and have a good relationship with your gp it is worth asking for a larger supply to bring over so that you have a bit of time to organize doctors and get your head round everything. Mine gave me a 6 month supply.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Booked in with the doctor next Friday, the receptionist says I should ask him for copies of my records & immunisations.

Booked in with the dentist next Saturday, the receptionist says that unlike doctors, dentists don't give out records.

Emailed optician (had my last eye exam in February and don't need another until a year from now). The optician has said that all the medical insurers and my new optician will need are the details of my current glasses and contacts. I've asked them for the details of my glasses as the details of my contacts are on the box ;0

I also phoned up SLC today to get login info so that I can check the balance of and pay my student loan online - although I'll probably set up a direct debit. I might also ask if they'll defer for a year just for the heck of it.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The list of vaccinations might be useful, but I doubt they'll be interested in or trust your UK medical or dental records.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

oh... ok!

thanks Sally, or is that Holly
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
oh... ok!

thanks Sally, or is that Holly
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get a US doctor, they'll probably order a physical and a review of you on their own. It's not that they don't trust the doctors in the UK, it's that they're on the hook legally (liability) for what they treat and proscribe to you. Saying "but this doctor in the UK said this was that or that was ok" isn't going to get them off the hook in a lawsuit, so they prefer to be sure on their own.

Personally having your own medical records and a most recent physical is never really a bad thing, especially if it is free. 20-30 years from now the 'baseline' measurements of your health at this point in your life might be helpful to new measurements they do. If there are blood tests later in life that indicate you have a higher level of such and such, it's interesting and helpful to point out 'yes, but in my blood test over the last 20 years I've always had a higher level of this' so you won't necessarily need to be treated for something that is within your own norm. Getting one last UK physical is just another collection of data points, and free ones at that.