British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   List of things to do before moving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/list-things-do-before-moving-728778/)

laety Aug 16th 2011 7:53 am

List of things to do before moving

Hi everyone! So thats it, we had the interview done and visa approved yesterday !!!:thumbup:
Could anyone of you point me to the thread with the very complete list of things to do before we leave? I did a search but cant find it anymore.. thank you :)

laety Aug 16th 2011 8:04 am

Re: List of things to do before moving

Sorry, another question...could someone point me out to a thread that give us a hyperlink to list what we can claim back on our tax return for relocation? (so what is included and what isnt)? thank you..
I couldnt see passed the interview date but now im stressing out as its only a month and a half before we go...:(

penguinsix Aug 16th 2011 8:30 am

We have a wiki on things to do for a move:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving

laety Aug 16th 2011 9:11 am

thats the one!!! thank you :)

Wibblypig Aug 16th 2011 10:20 am

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9562307)
Sorry, another question...could someone point me out to a thread that give us a hyperlink to list what we can claim back on our tax return for relocation? (so what is included and what isnt)? thank you..
I couldnt see passed the interview date but now im stressing out as its only a month and a half before we go...:(

Congrats :) Me too! It has been panic stations since Friday!!! Although I have decided to just look at it as a project... I am a project manager LOL :eek:

When do you fly? and where?

My hubby was meant to be going over by himself and myself and the kids following at Christmas but since the interview we just decided to all go!!! 5 weeks to go and counting! :eek::blink:

RayM Aug 16th 2011 10:50 am

Congrats,me too! Booked to go on Sept 23rd. I was going to raise a similar question so I'm glad you got in first. I'll have a read of the wiki.

laety Aug 16th 2011 10:59 am

congratulations to you both! We are going to california, Newport Beach. At the moment we are planning to go towards the end of September but it will depends when the tenants can move in (if we find some anyway!)
Hubby might go a few week before for few days to find a place to live, but we havent sorted things out yet..
The agency is coming on Saturday to take pictures and it will be live this week end. How exciting!!

hope you will all have an exciting/trouble free move :)

Wibblypig Aug 16th 2011 10:59 am

Originally Posted by RayM (Post 9562539)
Congrats,me too! Booked to go on Sept 23rd. I was going to raise a similar question so I'm glad you got in first. I'll have a read of the wiki.

We should have a H1B post for all those moving over there in the next month or so ;)

Where are you going to Ray?

Wibblypig Aug 16th 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by laety (Post 9562553)
congratulations to you both! We are going to california, Newport Beach. At the moment we are planning to go towards the end of September but it will depends when the tenants can move in (if we find some anyway!)
Hubby might go a few week before for few days to find a place to live, but we havent sorted things out yet..
The agency is coming on Saturday to take pictures and it will be live this week end. How exciting!!

hope you will all have an exciting/trouble free move :)

Mine goes 'live' today! eek! Thankfully my in-laws live over there, so we are going to stay with them at first although they live in Florida and hubby's job starts off in NYC :blink: But he will be covering the South-East eventually so it's not too bad. He is going to get a flat-share in NY (hopefully!).

We got slightly carried away on Sunday and booked the flights :eek: we fly over on the 22nd Sept, managed to get a really good price on them too :)

RayM Aug 16th 2011 11:22 am

I'm heading for Missouri, not a common destination, but I have a very close friend there. On an H1b and flying out on Sept 23rd through Dallas Fort Worth.
For lots of personal reasons I've already bought a house.
Removal people arrive on Wednesday!

nun Aug 16th 2011 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by RayM (Post 9562591)
I'm heading for Missouri, not a common destination, but I have a very close friend there. On an H1b and flying out on Sept 23rd through Dallas Fort Worth.
For lots of personal reasons I've already bought a house.
Removal people arrive on Wednesday!

Where in Missouri? I admire you going to the "real America". The "Coasts" are USA lite and until you've been to the center you haven't really seen America. be prepared for some major culture shock, I'm still recovering from Toledo, OH.

RayM Aug 16th 2011 12:12 pm

nun
- Oak Grove, about 25 miles east of Kansas City. Yep, it is very different from the UK and from Philly and NY but I like it. I've spent quite a lot of time there and can even accept the extremes of the weather. I've even thought about buying a Pick up truck!

Jerseygirl Aug 16th 2011 1:05 pm

When looking for info about moving or about life in the US...your first post of call should be the BE Wiki. Next...use the BE search engine to find old threads...there have been dozens and dozens of helpful threads about moving to the US.

Good luck all. :)

Jerseygirl Aug 16th 2011 1:20 pm

When looking for info about moving or about life in the US...your first post of call should be the BE Wiki. Next...use the BE search engine to find old threads...there have been dozens and dozens of helpful threads about moving to the US.

Good luck all. :)