British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   List of items to take to the AOS interview in Newark (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/list-items-take-aos-interview-newark-105917/)

icantthink Dec 8th 2001 3:51 pm

Ok, after reading various websites on this issue, I came up with a list of items that I'm going to take to our AOS interview in Newark in a couple of weeks. Except the kitchen sink, I think I have plenty.

Additions will be appreciated. If something is obviously missing, please let me know as well. I realize this may be a bit of overkill, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

I will have copies, and I will also 2-hole punch them for the ACCO binder. Punches are done on the top of the page, correct?

Thanks and please wish us luck!!!

1. Various forms of Identification for both of us: driver's licenses (both New Jersey), passports, SS cards
2. My medical exam form
3. My EAD card
4. Wife's certificate of naturalization
5. My birth certificate
6. Marriage certificate
7. My tax returns for the last 4 years. Wife and I filed jointly in 2000.
8. Copies of Wife's tax returns for the last 3 years. Unfortunately original W2s are not available...
9. Copies of joint sponsor's tax returns for the last 3 years. Also copy of his passport and driver's license. Again, not originals
10. Letters from our jobs listing our salaries. Mine also lists wife as the beneficiary for life insurance, health insurance as an emergency contact. Her's only lists her salary and that she is employed there.
11. Paychecks for the past few pay periods for both. Both are direct deposited into our joint account. Account number listed on the paychecks.
12. Wife's benefit enrollment for her company listing me as the beneficiary for life insurance
13. Copies of my enrollment forms (2001 and 2002) listing wife as a dependent.
14. Statements from the insurance companies listing Wife's doctor and dentist visits. They list me as the primary insurance holder.
15. Letter from the bank listing us as joint account holders. Also has the average account balance (but not sure what that will prove).
16. Copy of the signature card from the bank showing when the account was made joint
17. Bank statements for the last 6 months
18. Copies of credit cards with both of us listed. Copies of the cards itself, with the same account number and different names
19. Copy of our safe deposit box contract with both our names on it
20. Copy of our renter's insurance. This is through Wife's company and the money comes out of her paycheck.
21. Various utility bills. Most of them are in my name, one is in Wife's name.
22. Copy of our Price Club card with the same account number, wife listed as household member.
23. Brokerage statements with wife and me as joint account holders
24. A copy of a power of attorney giving me access to Wife's old IRA account
25. New IRA account statements listing each other as beneficiaries
26. Pictures from the courthouse wedding.
27. Pictures from various trips we took
28. A few letters addressed to us individually, but from the same source (credit card offers etc.)
29. Affidavits from two friends (one is a neighbour as well) attesting that we live together and they have been in social situations with us.

And of course, the interview letter and receipt from the fingerprinting appointment.

Jonathan_atc Dec 9th 2001 4:37 pm

Punches are indeed, two-hole punched at the top, for "two-hole prong = fasteners".
ACCO binder clips are something different.=20 See:
http://alixtcat.50megs.com/forms/acco.htm

Other than that, your list is impeccable! May I use it in my site?

I believe you can get old W-2's from IRS. Try calling them at = 1-800-829-1040 and
asking. (You have to have W-2's for any tax year = where you filed Jointly, to show
separate incomes. No way around it)

As long as you get those W-2's, you should be fine with what you list. = While it is
good to two-hole punch them, have the documents "loose" in a = binder so that you may
pull out what you need quickly. They wanted what = they wanted from us,
BING-BANG-Boom! We used the clear page protectors = that you can slip documents down
into and then assemble in a three ring = binder. This worked quite well. If you have
them all bound at the top = when you go in, you will be shuffling the papers around
and mixing them = all up as they ask for each item. Better to have them "loose" in a
= three ring binder, organized with tabs listing each section.

See this page for more details: http://alixtcat.50megs.com/forms/step5.htm

Have a look around the site, it may just help you.

>
http://clik.to/getk1 Doc Steen's Visa Pages
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Newsgroup FAQ
http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov
{I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For reliable legal advice, please
consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
list
    >
    >
    >
    >
please
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
as
    >
emergency
    >
there.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
source
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
fingerprinting
    >
    >
    >

>

Rete Dec 10th 2001 2:18 am

Forget ordering W-2's from the IRS. Order via the phone system the tax transcripts for those years. That is sufficient proof for the INS.

And ACCO binder holders are the same as the two prong holders (use the holder and throw out the binder). You sound like you have everything in correct order with the exceptions of the W-2's and the original passport of the co-sponsor. YOu might want to have the copy notarized with the legend that the copy is an exact replica of the original which the notary has seen.

And also forget about Jonathan's = signs throughout his postings. Not sure of that the purpose is. Perhaps since he doesn't like .... he favors = instead.

Rita ;-)

icantthink Dec 10th 2001 1:03 pm

Please use the list where you see fit!

Also, it would be impossible to get the sponsor's passport - he is out of the country right now dur to a death in the family.

I was thinking of filling out another affidavit of support - we have been livign together for the past 2 years, and together our incomes meet the minimum standards. We will fill out the 864 and 864A.

thanks for the feedback on the two-hole punch!

jeffreyhy Dec 10th 2001 1:32 pm

i,

You have more than enough 'stuff'. I don't think they'll want to see half of it, based on my recent experience at Cherry Hill, a sub-office of Newark. But, it's really up to the individual interviewer, I think, so take it all with you anyway now that you've got it together.

I recommend that you also take along original copies of things you've submitted previously that may not be on your list, just in case. I was surprised at my wife's interview when the interviewer asked for a couple of things that had not been identified on the checklist on the interview notice. Things that had been sent in previously, but that were missing from the file as the interviewer reviewed it. She was able to make copies for the file from the original that I had with me. I'm sure it saved us from having to mail in a copy after the interview and a follow-up trip to the office to get the I-551 stamp put in the passport.

I think a new Afficavit of Support would be a good idea, and your present co-sponsor should certainly appreciate you taking him 'off the hook'. I'm surprised that you weren't asked to bring an Affidavit of Support in the list on the appointment notice. My wife was, and my Affidavit of Support was only 8 months old at the time the interview notice was sent out, 10 months old when the interview actually took place.

Good luck.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by icantthink
Please use the list where you see fit!

Also, it would be impossible to get the sponsor's passport - he is out of the country right now dur to a death in the family.

I was thinking of filling out another affidavit of support - we have been livign together for the past 2 years, and together our incomes meet the minimum standards. We will fill out the 864 and 864A.

thanks for the feedback on the two-hole punch!

Shelley Dec 10th 2001 7:47 pm

If you have been married more than 6 months, you can use both a husband and wife's
incomes and you need only complete the I-864. The I-864a is for other household
members - parents, sibling, friends, whose income is being used to sponsor an
immigrant. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >