British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   List of happiest States (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/list-happiest-states-645259/)

zargof Dec 17th 2009 11:47 pm

Re: List of happiest States

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8181703)
You should be over in gazz's thread. Looks like he's beginning to discover misanthropy.

It's the way to go, that way no-one takes it personally when you hate them.

Jerseygirl Dec 17th 2009 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8181700)
Yeah that's my Mum's theory, "Clever people are never happy". She used to add, "Look at John Lennon", that was before he died though.

In the very early 70's mum asked if Elton John did anything else apart from sing...I said yes thinking to myself he writes songs. She said 'It's a good job because he'll never make a living out of singing'. :lol:

chartreuse Dec 17th 2009 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 8181720)
It's the way to go, that way no-one takes it personally when you hate them.

Yeah, my only problem with it is that I haven't met everybody, yet...

Sally Redux Dec 17th 2009 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8181725)
In the very early 70's mum asked if Elton John did anything else apart from sing...I said yes thinking to myself he writes songs. She said 'It's a good job because he'll never make a living out of singing'. :lol:

He sure played a mean pinball :lol:

kimilseung Dec 17th 2009 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8181700)
Yeah that's my Mum's theory, "Clever people are never happy". .

my dad had the same theory, as a kid he would use the story of two people each of whom lived at the top of a volcano, as an example. One knew it was a volcano the other did not.

tonrob Dec 17th 2009 11:57 pm

Pissed.
Sloshed.
Hammered.
Completely munted.

zargof Dec 17th 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8181744)
Pissed.
Sloshed.
Hammered.
Completely munted.

You forgot full of sprouts.

Sally Redux Dec 18th 2009 12:00 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8181742)
my dad had the same theory, as a kid he would use the story of two people each of whom lived at the top of a volcano, as an example. One knew it was a volcano the other did not.

Yes that's interesting.

slapphead_otool Dec 18th 2009 12:05 am

I concur with Ton Rob.

There is only one state worth living in.

Intoxicated. :)

nettlebed Dec 18th 2009 2:23 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8181683)
Don't forget, there was a well respected study, some years ago, that showed that people who are as thick as pigshit sail blissfully through life, convinced that they're the best person ever at their job, while folks who are capable of critical thinking worry about things that are not as perfect as they could be and get miserable.

I think this is what you are referring to: “Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One’s Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments.”

Makes a fun read if you have a few minutes spare...

kimilseung Dec 18th 2009 2:36 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8181912)
I think this is what you are referring to: “Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One’s Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments.”

Makes a fun read if you have a few minutes spare...

file that you link to has been stolen
google quick view seems to work
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://d...CdTxc49P3AK6hw

MrEmjoy Dec 18th 2009 11:44 am

No comment :huh:

Chugabug Dec 18th 2009 12:49 pm

They say not getting enough sunshine makes you unhappy. Does that mean that anywhere in the USA is happier than Britain?

helwardman Dec 18th 2009 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 8181676)
Good schools and low crime, doesn't sound like Louisiana to me...

And how much time have you actually spent in Louisiana?

I've lived in Louisiana for 2 years. I only know one area so I can't speak for the whole state. Where I live there are some extremely good schools and also a couple of not so good ones - just like lots of other states. The overall crime level in the area where I live is very low, and the incidence of serious crime is extremely low.

MrEmjoy Dec 18th 2009 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Chugabug (Post 8182943)
They say not getting enough sunshine makes you unhappy. Does that mean that anywhere in the USA is happier than Britain?

'they' say allot, 'they' often go back and forth on what's right and what's wrong, what's good and whats bad, 'they' can **** off.

But I agree Seasonal Affective Disorder is common, I think it's more of an issue in modern times because people travel around the world, feel great on holiday, and then bummed when they get home.