Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Liquids and toiletries in sea or air shipment

Liquids and toiletries in sea or air shipment

Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice
Default Liquids and toiletries in sea or air shipment

Our shippers told us to try and avoid, but in reality what do people do with new soaps, deodorants etc? I assume the largest issue is spillage rather than security?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:05 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Liquids and toiletries in sea or air shipment

Our removal company did most of the packing for us, apart from about half a dozen boxes which we did pack ourselves. I packed a few items from the bathroom - toiletries, make up etc. I also gave some away to friends and family - those kind of things aren't really that expensive to replace. On the boxes that we packed, the removal guys marked "SELF-PACK" (or words to that effect) on them and also clearly stated this on the inventory. Obviously, then they would not be liable for any spillages, spoilage of other (expensive) items and have to pay out on a hefty insurance claim! Also, any flammable liquids are a big no no. Good luck!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
Our shippers told us to try and avoid, but in reality what do people do with new soaps, deodorants etc? I assume the largest issue is spillage rather than security?
Personally I wouldn't risk customs wanting to open my container just for a few bottles of hair shampoo etc. That could cause long delays. Best to not bring any liquids and have fun shopping for new stuff when you get over
My relatives always try to cram big bottles of shampoo and body wash into their cases to take back to the uk because it's cheaper over here.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:36 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

pickfords packed toiletries for us no problem. opened and unopened. The only exception was flammable stuff which they left out. (like nail polish remover or cleaning products).

they are more worried about what you carry on an airplane as you can blow it up - much less so about what comes over in a container. The bigger issue for the container is customs - so food and drink is a no-no but shampoo and the like isnt prohibited so not an issue.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

MsElui - would that be ALL food and drinks to be traated as a no-no? I'm thinking of cans, or unopened oil / vinegar bottles... did you not take any foodstuffs at all?
We're trying to use up all our storecupboard items before we go, but I'm sure we'll have stuff that doesn't get used.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:02 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

we were told absolutely no food stuffs.............allthough im pretty sure the guy said you could fill out another customs form in advance if you were going to take food but it was a hassle - we might be getting another shipment of stuff from the UK if we decide to stay put so im gonna look into this and stock up on orange squash and marmite
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:05 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

pickfords refused to pack a single food or drink item for us. No tins or bottle or packets etc. I took things like cheese and teabags and marmite in my personal suitcase as we are allowed by customs according to their site but nothing like that went in my container (air or sea).

(i have heard other packing teams with pickfords are more lenient saying if they are packed and found by customs then you personally take the hit - but ours were by the book). They showed us copies of the (relatively) new regulations from customs stating it wasnt allowed.

if you want more customs info on what you can take in your suitcase i stuck the customs link in the wiki.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

The only "british" foods I haven't been able to find here that I really miss are bacon and sausages, which you can't bring through customs anyway. Everything else I can get, it may be more expensive, so we have it for a "treat" ie. cho. hob nobs, but you can still find most things if you're willing to search and/or buy on line.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:53 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
The only "british" foods I haven't been able to find here that I really miss are bacon and sausages, which you can't bring through customs anyway. Everything else I can get, it may be more expensive, so we have it for a "treat" ie. cho. hob nobs, but you can still find most things if you're willing to search and/or buy on line.
we get get both at our british food shop - but they dont come cheap!!

and why is marmite so damn expensive!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Thanks for the replies. So, we'll do

- no food or drink apart from in suitcases
- toiletries in shipment are fine, but avoid unopened bottles and try to only take things that are expensive or really needed!