Lingo.com

Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:04 am
Perfumdiva1

Talking Lingo.com

For all us Brits that call the Uk 10 times a day (to our Mums), this is certainly worth while

My friend has this system, and the quality is excellent, and one can call 911 unlike Broadvoice

It also works with home security systems,

Unlimited calls to the UK and Europe (cant remember which part) is fab, my bill is usually $200 a month, so tomorrow I shall be subscribing

$20 a month, a talk-aholics dream LOL

www.lingo.com

Happy chatting

PD

Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:09 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lingo.com

Hey, I'm planning on switching to Lingo sometime this month. Just make sure you have some type of ethernet port available in your computer. There's also a referral program. If someone refers you to Lingo (you have to provide that person with your name and email address), both of you will get $25 credited to your accounts after you've been with the service for 3 months.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a decent thread I think about big blue?? anyway, going bust, and other voip services...people have put referals up there I think, if you want to check it out...
Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

nope, it's big zoo...opps...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&page=1&pp=15

if there weren't referals in that, it's somewhere else
Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:37 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Hebapotamus42
Hey, I'm planning on switching to Lingo sometime this month. Just make sure you have some type of ethernet port available in your computer. There's also a referral program. If someone refers you to Lingo (you have to provide that person with your name and email address), both of you will get $25 credited to your accounts after you've been with the service for 3 months.

Yes, my friend told me about that $25 thing

The quality is really good

With Broadvoice, if the weather is bad, you loose the connection to Ireland/Scotland LOL

My main concern was 911 and we have to have a service that works with our alarm company

So far so good

Fingers crossed, going to subscribed tomorrow

PD

Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:39 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I get bellsouth unlimited calls to uk for $40... saves messing around with voip

i could probably save a few bucks...
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that's pissed me off with Lingo so far is the porting over of our old number -- after 20 business days no action. Rest of the service is fine, no problems whatsoever.

If anybody wants action from Lingo's polite but totally ineffectual customer service, PM me for contact info. I couldn't be bothered waiting so I decided to prod the bigwigs and -- surprise, surprise -- the port is happening next week!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently sugscribed to Lingo, I've just had an email from them telling me they cant transfer my telephone number. So I am going to keep SBC which I only pay $13 for a basic line, so that people can call me from England and keep Lingo to make all of my outgoing calls on. The added advantage is I can give my Lingo number to work contacts and that way if my Lingo phone rings I will know if its friend or foe.

Call quality. Making US calls is great however I have made a couple of UK calls that sounded great to me but they could hardly hear me. So I'm keeping an open mind. I was spending $20 a month on phone cards anyway and the call quality could be bad too so I'm in the same position with Lingo.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:20 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

For those of you who have already signed up with Lingo, do any of you have Windows XP profesional and has it interefered with the service at all? And when does your billing cycle start - the day you sign up or the day you actually connect?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who have already signed up with Lingo, do any of you have Windows XP profesional and has it interefered with the service at all?
Nope -- but it depends on your set up. To start, put Lingo's ATA straight after the modem and before your router/gateway and let it handle QOS. Anything else, and you'll be experimenting hard to get a good setup -- the most important factor will be your router/gateway's support for QOS.

And when does your billing cycle start - the day you sign up or the day you actually connect?
I understand your confusion as I read on other VoIP forums it was from date of sign up. However, they actually billed me from the date of first activation for the second charge (the first charge was on the date of order for activation, etc).
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:40 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I use AT&T for Long Distance. $24 a month gets me unlimited calling to England.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 4:04 am
Just Joined

NikkiD is an unknown quantity at this point

Be extremely careful of Lingo!

For some inexplicable reason their rate to mobile phones in the UK is more than 50% more expensive than all other VOIP providers. This seems quite strange as their rates to all other countries are very competitive with all other providers... all except this one particular case... calls to mobiles in the UK! For example, calls to mobiles in the UK cost twice as much as calls to mobiles in France. Notwithstanding, the quality and reliability of their service is very good.

I have written them attempting to ascertain the reason for the apparent anomaly with the price of calls to mobiles in the UK but never received any response. Very strange!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's the mobile operators inthe UK that hike the price up...why not just ring mates on a landline anyway?
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:49 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
It's the mobile operators inthe UK that hike the price up...why not just ring mates on a landline anyway?

They do, but NikkiD certainly has a point -- I'd never noticed before as I rarely ring cell phones in any European country.

If you compare rates to UK cell phones in c/min:
Lingo = 42
Vonage = 28
Packet8 = 28
AT&T = 27

Another EU contry I call regularly (unfortunately too far east for the free rate), rates for cell phone in c/min :
Lingo = 26
Vonage = 26
Packet 8 = 30
AT&T = 22

Seems Lingo is around 50% overpriced to UK cell phones.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:38 pm
delphiman

We signed up last month and have had great service. Infact so much so we got rid of BellSouth last week - Now that was a pleasant and very satisfying phone call

Our monthly phone bill has gone from $120 pm (average) to $30pm (average). My father lives in Spain and has a radio phone which apparently is classed as a mobile since it uses a mobile prefix hence the extra $10 or so pm, but still 75% saving so im happy. And ANY reason not to give Bellsouth money is good in my book. And since I already pay for the 3MB internet why not use some of it?

Bye Bye traditional, overpriced and annoying Telco's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.