Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The likelihood of actually being granted a Visa

Wikiposts

The likelihood of actually being granted a Visa

Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The likelihood of actually being granted a Visa

Originally Posted by Jayme
Nah, I'm totally open to it. I just find it odd that anyone in Texas would consider internet dating someone in the UK. You'd only be able to see each other once every few months or so until you're married and the visa was sorted. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. :P
Go take a look in the Marriage and fiancee visa sub forum here on BE, and you will find dozens of examples of couples who met on line who are currently going through the visa process.

A number of the most active members of the US forum met their spouses on line, and subsequently got a visa to live in the US. In absolute numbers there certainly aren't huge numbers of people who meet on line and then emigrate, but given the small sample of people who show up on BE asking questions and looking for advice, I would guess that there might be in the range 2,000-5,000 new Anglo-American relationships started on-line each year. It is really not uncommon despite being unexpected by most people. Sign up to one of the on-line dating sites with an open mind and honest intentions and you never know what might happen.

And American women are crazy about a British accent, even if it is a regional accent and not considered attractive in the UK. I have retained my slightly flattened Sheffied vowels despite leaving there as a child, but still get American women telling me they "luuuurve my accent", often accompanied by gooey eyes and a giggle at least once every couple of weeks, and sometimes several times a day despite having lived in the US for more than 12 years. I still find it slightly bizarre that I get such comments and reactions from waitresses in restaurants when I am sitting there with my wife and daughter!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 19th 2014 at 2:59 am.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:01 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Nothing like a nice bit of generalisation...
It's true though. I'm coming at it from a mainly political standpoint of course. Has Texas expanded Medicare? Do they take care of their sick or disabled as well as we do in MA for example? Not a chance. It's a deeply Republican, all for your own state. If that is your cup of tea - go for it. Myself, personally, I couldn't think of anything worse.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
.... Why Texas?? It's one of the most backward places in the entire United States. Plus, they all love GW Bush. Eurgh.
So it only took you a year to tap into that New England uppity-snootiness, I see!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:08 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So it only took you a year to tap into that New England uppity-snootiness, I see!
To be fair, I had that long before I moved here...
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:13 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's true though. I'm coming at it from a mainly political standpoint of course. Has Texas expanded Medicare? Do they take care of their sick or disabled as well as we do in MA for example? Not a chance. It's a deeply Republican, all for your own state. If that is your cup of tea - go for it. Myself, personally, I couldn't think of anything worse.
Ok, politically I can see your point, yes it's a Republican state. But I don't agree with your original assertion that it's backwards and everyone loves Bush! The Texans I've met (and no, obviously I haven't met all of them...) have been some of the most friendly, helpful, charitable people I've ever met. You can't paint everyone in the second largest state with the same brush!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:15 am
Banned

Ok, politically I can see your point, yes it's a Republican state. But I don't agree with your original assertion that it's backwards and everyone loves Bush! The Texans I've met (and no, obviously I haven't met all of them...) have been some of the most friendly, helpful, charitable people I've ever met. You can't paint everyone in the second largest state with the same brush!
Completely agree re Texans being friendly and helpful, that was my experience also. They did all love Bush though!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:23 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

They did all love Bush though!
Lol, well if you will go round talking to the wrong sort of Texans...
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:16 am

Lol, well if you will go round talking to the wrong sort of Texans. ....
Ones born and (university) educated in Connecticut?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:22 am
Banned

Ones born and (university) educated in Connecticut?
I hear they grow up to be war mongers....
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:26 am

I hear they grow up to be war mongers....
I am now thinking that an urge to attack Iraq is now a curse that affects all US presidents. The three most recent presidents all ordered attacks on Iraq, and the current president appears poised to do so.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:43 am
Banned

I am now thinking that an urge to attack Iraq is now a curse that affects all US presidents. The three most recent presidents all ordered attacks on Iraq, and the current president appears poised to do so.
To be fair G HW Bush did the right thing by invading Iraq as it was the correct response. Bush Snr was also smart enough to know not to continue to Baghdad as he knew what would happen if they deposed him.

That's the difference: Bush Snr was smart and earnt his way in life, GW Bush was a dipshit idiot who should never have gotten near the Presidency.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:51 am

.... should never have gotten .....
I detect an early sign of the onset of Americanization!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I tried messaging a few girls (4) from where I'm going to be moving to on pof.com, none of them replied...
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
I tried messaging a few girls (4) from where I'm going to be moving to on pof.com, none of them replied...
It might take more than that. I don't recall exactly now, but I probably sent a couple of dozen messages over a couple of months, and got four responses, one of which petered out quickly, another two slowly, ..... and one that never did peter out.

BTW I don't know pof.com - is it a "serious" site, or more for hook-ups? The "big three" sites at the moment appear to be chemistry.com, match.com, and harmony.com, though I must stress my knowledge is entirely confined to an awareness of their TV ads.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 19th 2014 at 6:14 am.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

It might take more than that. I don't recall exactly now, but I probably sent a couple of dozen messages and got four responses, one of which petered out quickly, another two slowly, ..... and one that never did peter out.
aww bless I will end up messaging a few more, I've even said I'm just trying to make some friends before I actually move, but people my age (including me in a way) probably think it's a bit weird some stranger from England is messaging them to be friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.