Life in US

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Guitarman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in US

Hi All

Just joined this website. Sounded interesting.

I am currently in UK -working full time, but am thinking of changing the water.

The question I had for long time about US was,

IS IT REALLY THAT BETTER LIVING IN US??

If so, in what respect. This is also question of my wife. We have been to US for 2 wks holidays many times in the past, and loved it, but my wife thinks that it might be different when you are working there. How am I gonna know if I have never stayed there more than 2 wks for going to shops and restaurants and spending money??

If you have lived in UK before, and now living in US, could you please list good points and bad points about life and working in US? As many as possible?

Thank you.
Gman
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 3:49 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in US

Originally posted by Guitarman
Hi All

If so, in what respect. This is also question of my wife. We have been to US for 2 wks holidays
<snip>
Yay ! One of your favourites Manc !
Go for it !
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 3:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you start when replying to this one.

I think Gman does happen to understand the concept of being on holiday and looking at stuff through rose tinted glasses though. That is my major bug bear with these types of posts.
With Gman mentioning that he has no concept of living here without having the wedge of cash needed for a 2 week spending spree, so I'll not be judgemental here.

Although my answer would be for Gman to look through the other forums, especially Moving back to UK and the australia /NZ forums.
There are a lot of threads dedicated to moving back to UK, and you hardly ever have that discussion on this USA forum so, I say that most of us here in the USA are pretty content with our lot.

It is a great place, however I really wouldn't like to be in financial trouble here, it sucks nuts the welfare system/health system. But also that forces one to go out and make something of ones life. Which is no bad thing in itself.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 4:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

If so, in what respect. This is also question of my wife. We have been to US for 2 wks holidays many times in the past, and loved it, but my wife thinks that it might be different when you are working there. How am I gonna know if I have never stayed there more than 2 wks for going to shops and restaurants and spending money??

If you have lived in UK before, and now living in US, could you please list good points and bad points about life and working in US? As many as possible?

Thank you.
Gman
My questions to Gman-

The US is so big that it's impossible and foolhardy to give a comprehensive list of its good and bad points.

So, I want to know, during your holidays in the US, have you visited both coasts and cities/locations between the coasts?

If not, you cannot start to comprehend the variety of the country such as the geography, temperatures, multiculturalism (or lack of it in certain parts of the US), cost of living, cost of anything actually.

I live in the US now (nearly two years) and as soon as I got here, I realized that broad generalizations about the US are pointless. It's no wonder that each state has its own laws.

The US is more than a North-South divide like in England.

Even if you know what kind of things you're after in the US, can you afford it (please do research on banking in the US, auto insurance for newbies to the US, education for kids if you have them)?

How long is a piece of string?...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
My questions to Gman-

The US is so big that it's impossible and foolhardy to give a comprehensive list of its good and bad points.

So, I want to know, during your holidays in the US, have you visited both coasts and cities/locations between the coasts?

If not, you cannot start to comprehend the variety of the country such as the geography, temperatures, multiculturalism (or lack of it in certain parts of the US), cost of living, cost of anything actually.

I live in the US now (nearly two years) and as soon as I got here, I realized that broad generalizations about the US are pointless. It's no wonder that each state has its own laws.

Even if you know what kind of things you're after in the US, can you afford it (please do research on banking in the US, auto insurance for newbies to the US, education for kids if you have them)?

NC Penguin
Very valid point.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by NC Penguin
My questions to Gman-

NC Penguin
Agreed! Sorry for having been so vague.

What we are after in the new place are better weather (we are a bit depressed with long, dark, wet and windy winter here), and relaxed working condition and relaxed life style. The area we are interested in is Florida, as we have been holidaying here for many times, and we all absolutely love it.

Of course one will need good housing in good neighbourhood to enjoy high quality life, good education system for kids, good healthcare system..etc, but you need these factors wherever you are in the world.

A lot of my relatives have immigrated to US in the late 70s early 80s, and they are well settled there. But whenever we go there, and see them, they all seem to be utterly busy working.

cheers
G
Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:26 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed! Sorry for having been so vague.

What we are after in the new place are better weather (we are a bit depressed with long, dark, wet and windy winter here), and relaxed working condition and relaxed life style.
Sorry, but if you want relaxed working conditions, don't come over here, stay in britain. If you work over here they will have high expectations of you, and will want you to work longer harder hours with less holidays. 10 days holiday a year is the norm. They work hard and play hard, but there's actually not much time left over to play with.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Sorry, but if you want relaxed working conditions, don't come over here, stay in britain. If you work over here they will have high expectations of you, and will want you to work longer harder hours with less holidays. 10 days holiday a year is the norm. They work hard and play hard, but there's actually not much time left over to play with.
No - it's ok. These are what we wanted to know. Thanks.
One of my relatives run a garage in Florida, and it is open 24 hour a day, and he works 12 hours a day. I thought it was just him. But it is usual for people to work a lot harder & longer there then?

Well - harder & longer working will give them more money, so it is not for nothing.

So, are you happy with the life style and working condition there yourself?

Last edited by Guitarman; Jan 24th 2004 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 3:14 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm happy enough, but then I don't work. Not allowed to in fact, my husband has the work visa, I just have a non working visa in order to be with him. He normally works 12 hours or so a day too, but luckily he enjoys his work. He is one of those people who's too busy to think about taking time off until the end of the year, when they are told to either use the time off or lose it. If you're like that, then maybe you won't notice the lack of time off.
Also, working long hours doesn't always equate to better pay. Otherwise everyone here would be well off, but that's not the case. Many people hold down 2 jobs and still struggle with the cost of living.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 3:35 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I think I worked harder physically in England, but over here they expect more of you and if you slip up you could lose your job in an instant, whereas in England people would turn a blind eye to things. That makes it very stressful mentally. Last week I worked an 84 hour week but that was out of choice. I earn a lot of money but with that comes a lifestyle that has to be maintained, and so you learn to be very, very careful not to slip up and destroy everything you've worked for. America is drowning in red tape, and just to do anything requires a million and one forms, which is incredibly tedious. You can't breathe here without the obligatory SSN, bank account and driving licence. Until then you are essentially a non-person. In England you can get by and choose how to do things, but here it's all very rigid.

On the up side, everything is easier here in terms of lifestyle. Money can be got if one so desires, and you can make or break deals to move onwards and upwards, whereas in England I felt my career pretty much set in stone. Over here I'm a marketable commodity which can be used to whatever degree you wish. There are certain things that makes life enjoyable, like a pool, a gym and a movie theatre in my apartment complex, amazing weather, and I am still shocked at how easy it was to buy a brand new car. All of these things in England are much harder to obtain, either because of inconvenience or money or both. Nothing can be better or worse infinitely...it's always going to be six of one and half a dozen of the other. You just have to learn to live with the differences.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:00 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Why do so many Brits flock to Florida? I couldn't imagine putting up with FL year round. I think it's got one of the worst climates in the US.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Why do so many Brits flock to Florida? I couldn't imagine putting up with FL year round. I think it's got one of the worst climates in the US.
Oh! you are so right Sibsie... its terrible here... its 12.15 and only 62F .... and not joking.. I am freezing...and gas is rocketing is nearly a pound a gallon now...
People ..stay away
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:31 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Oh! you are so right Sibsie... its terrible here... its 12.15 and only 62F .... and not joking.. I am freezing...and gas is rocketing is nearly a pound a gallon now...
People ..stay away
It's the summers I hate down there. My best mate lives in Pompano, or Lauderdale by the Sea as it's now known and I find the humidty a killer. Not to mention what it does to my hair!

I don't know how I'm going to cope in MA. It's spring here and in the mid to high 70's. I'll perish for sure.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I was just shovelling snow off my roof.
yes Florida sucks.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
I was just shovelling snow off my roof.
yes Florida sucks.
lol lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.