Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

life in the US of A

Wikiposts

life in the US of A

Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 30
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

postie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: life in the US of A

Originally posted by datcha
Its as good as I thought it would be! Apart from just starting to look for work, everything has been smooth and every day is different.

People in the UK thought we were mad to just sell everything, leave work and move to the US with no house, no jobs and no cars lined up when we got there but we're here and we're doing it!
Glad everythings going well. So, how did you do it? Did you go over on a visitors visa and hope for the best or some other way. I'd really like to know as my family want to get out there to be with her American family
Thanks. Postie
Old Nov 1st 2003, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dylan&helen
wow thanks for all the replies everyone.

makes me feel good.

I am sick of fish and chips by the way... cant wait for the change.

I sense a lot of mixed emotions about living in the US... one thing i don't know about is your ages, i am sure things will be different at different stages of your life.

I am 30, my wife is 24 and my son is 3
A lady never tells. Suffice it to say I am a grandmother.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:34 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 36, and having fought my way up in my career and becoming a homeowner in London, starting again is pretty daunting let me tell you. I think the older you are the better you are equipped to emigrate both experience-wise and financially, but emotionally I think it's harder. I've spent so long in London that living somewhere else is just unthinkable. I hate looking at a map of Phoenix and not being able to make head not tail of it, but I can find my way round London with my eyes shut.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I'm 36, and having fought my way up in my career and becoming a homeowner in London, starting again is pretty daunting let me tell you. I think the older you are the better you are equipped to emigrate both experience-wise and financially, but emotionally I think it's harder. I've spent so long in London that living somewhere else is just unthinkable. I hate looking at a map of Phoenix and not being able to make head not tail of it, but I can find my way round London with my eyes shut.

Hey you are just the right age to get 30 years service in to keep your health coverage when you retire- since you probably won't be able to retire till you're 68. There we are thought you'd appreciate that bit of trivia

I came over here when I was 36- you're old enough that you won't lose your accent or your 'British" identity and young enough to adapt well-you can enjoy the best of what's out here

Some things are better here, some things better in UK.
I'm absolutely delighted that we now have front loading washing machines here yey! Very expensive of course but they're here...AT LAST!!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl

Sounds to me like you should stay on that side of the pond. What led to the decision to move stateside?
Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by datcha

People in the UK thought we were mad to just sell everything, leave work and move to the US with no house, no jobs and no cars lined up when we got there but we're here and we're doing it!

Yeah we're going through the same thing. A bit scary I suppose, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm originally from California, but we're not going back there, unless we find jobs there. We're starting out in Oregon and then seeing where we go from there. Best of luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:27 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
Sounds to me like you should stay on that side of the pond. What led to the decision to move stateside?
No, believe me, I actually do want to go! LOL. I'm going because that's where my partner is and we've been waiting for 3 years to be able to be together. The thing that is getting to me at the moment is that even though I've managed to get a green card, my job is on the other side of the country to my girlfriend, which kind of turns what should have been a fun and exciting time in my life, to a scary and difficult one. I wanted to move in with her and have her there to help me through the transition but my company have been lying to me throughout the process, telling me they would be able to get me a job in CT. I waited 5 months for them to place me and nothing happened so I took the job in AZ just to get the green card. I'm not looking forward to moving to Arizona on my own. I've never been there before and all of a sudden I'm expected to turn up, move in and start work. I'm just a little bit bitter at my company who promised so much and delivered so little, but I'll get over it. I love America and I am happy I'm going to live there. I know it will work out in the end, but by the time I can live with my girlfriend we will have been together for 5 years! If we could have got married like everyone else I could have already been over there 2 years ago. It's not very fair.

I also disliked the visa process. I've been waiting all this time without knowing quite when I was leaving. My bloody company made me think I might even be leaving a year ago, and trying to live out of boxes is a pain. They make you go through all of that and you don't know until the last minute that you even are allowed a visa. You can't let yourself believe it will happen until you get that visa in your hand, and then all of a sudden everything goes mental. Why can't the approval be just that...an approval? It's doesn't mean much if you still have to go through an interview. I think the interview should happen earlier in the process so you can make definite plans. For me it's a bittersweet victory.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:36 am
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by Taffyles
Hey you are just the right age to get 30 years service in to keep your health coverage when you retire- since you probably won't be able to retire till you're 68. There we are thought you'd appreciate that bit of trivia

I came over here when I was 36- you're old enough that you won't lose your accent or your 'British" identity and young enough to adapt well-you can enjoy the best of what's out here

Some things are better here, some things better in UK.
I'm absolutely delighted that we now have front loading washing machines here yey! Very expensive of course but they're here...AT LAST!!
Yeah, what's up with those ancient toploaders, eh? LOL. Give me a groovy Zanussi anyday! I will so lose my accent, I know it. Even if I'm there for 2 weeks I feel it starting to waiver LOL. Don't worry, my girlfriend says if I start to speak American she's sending me home on the next plane to top up on my English accent.

Hmmm...working till I'm 68? I can't even bear to think about it! Maybe I'll win the lotto by then.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by postie
Glad everythings going well. So, how did you do it? Did you go over on a visitors visa and hope for the best or some other way. I'd really like to know as my family want to get out there to be with her American family
Thanks. Postie
Hi Postie,

My wife is from the USA and we married and lived in the UK for the last few years. As we were married for more than 3 years and as we lived in London, I was able to file and be approved directly through the US consulate in London (so no long waiting periods using a US-based Immigration Service Center) and I was issued a full (ie. non-conditional) residency visa.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AmerLisa
Yeah we're going through the same thing. A bit scary I suppose, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm originally from California, but we're not going back there, unless we find jobs there. We're starting out in Oregon and then seeing where we go from there. Best of luck!
Good luck to you too!

We have initially gone for Southern California as all her friends and family are there but we're not against the idea of other parts of the country if need be. Actually got an idea to try and live on the East Coast for a while at some point in the future.

The main struggle was getting here so everything else we do from now on isn't probably gonna be as heavy as that was!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:56 am
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

my wife and I are in the same boat as you, we have been married for almost 5 years and she has live here in the Uk for all that time, I agree is does save a lot of hassle with US immigration and we are thankfull for that as some members seem to be living a nightmare. Incidently her US accent is waining a little and I keep correcting her Derbyshire slang which sounds well trippy coming from an American.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:22 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my family and friends. I'm still in the visa-hell process, so I'm not really 'living' here yet, despite the fact that I've spent the majority of this year here.

I'm dying for a decent king-prawn vindaloo! My husband keeps me stocked up with Ribena! We have a Brit shop in town but I can't bear to go there. It's like a corner shop with hugely inflated prices. Would love a Sainsbury's though!

My local supermarket has just started stocking the Pataks curry sauce mixes. But I do miss Colmans shepherd pie mix.

I don't miss the 'politics of envy attitude', the weather, the misery and general unhappiness of the UK. I love that people here are so happy and friendly. I love the area I live in, it's suburban but the beach is less than a mile away. And drive thru! My son's school has a drive thru pick-up and drop-off. Sure beats having to get there 20mins early so you can find a parking space!

And the sales! I love the sales.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:23 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and ordering pizza delivery online and barbecuing nearly every night.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:30 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

The honeymoon is over for me, I am not unhappy but I am not as arse wipingly happy as most brits seem to be on this board - then again I am a realist and don't think just because gas is cheap and I can buy an acre I am going to be happy.

Patrick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.