Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

life in the US of A

Wikiposts

life in the US of A

Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I meant to add this pic
Attached Thumbnails life in the US of A-nie-ad-140x100px.gif  
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life in the US of A

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Where's that Brit store then? It would be great to be able to pop out in Arizona and buy myself a pack of PG Tips! I already noted down the address of that curry house! I am currently compiling a list of important places in AZ so when I get there I don't feel completely lost.
Here you go.
British Gourmet

They sell PG tips at AJ's grocery store also.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough

I've been here for 6 months now (plus I was here for 6 months last year)

I went through a stage of being very homesick a few weeks ago - the thought of having to spend the rest of my life here is pretty scary.

I moved here rather than my husband to the UK mainly for financial reasons.

I'm feeling less homesick now but maybe that's because I'm going home for a week on Tuesday!

All in all, I haven't really found living here anything special, I'd rather be back home. I'm here to be with my husband, though, which is the most important thing.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:59 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Here you go.
British Gourmet
You rock!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to move state side when my husband I got engaged. We had several 'debates' on which country we would live in... I wanted to stay in the UK but it just made more sense for me to move here, hubby has a good job here, I was a student in the UK, he owned his own house/car... i owned neither so feeling very apprehensive I moved here and I gotta say it was the best thing I ever did... If I had to do the whole thing over I would not change a thing. Sure I miss the UK/family/friends sometimes but thats what short trips home are for.

Now if only I could find somewhere that makes a decent Chicken Korma...

Ash
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Where's that Brit store then? It would be great to be able to pop out in Arizona and buy myself a pack of PG Tips! I already noted down the address of that curry house! I am currently compiling a list of important places in AZ so when I get there I don't feel completely lost.

Thanks for your input guys...you're making this soon-to-be immigrant feel a lot more positive! I've sorted out an apartment and a car so it's all systems go. I'm looking forward to it but a bit scared too, so positive stories are nice to read.
The Brit store is on Thomas Road. It can be a bit hard to find it is tucked into a corner of a mini mall. It is expensive but they have nearly everything you would need. There is also a British pub at the other end of Thomas, but it is not so good. The original pub burned down a couple of years ago and they rebuilt it further up Thomas, but the food is not as good as it used to be.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I meant to add this pic
Yeah, and it is crap!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
It's ****in' great!!!!!

I think you'd be happy living anywhere, as long as there were plenty of strip joints for you to frequent.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by effi
Yeah, and it is crap!

Why doesnt that surprise me. I saw someone at the fair last weekend with one of their T-shirts on, complete with Union Jack. But isnt it always the case, that places that market their product as genuine Fish n Chips, are the least like what you get at a chippy at home. Thats why I recommended the restuarants on pier 39(but not the crappy little one. called "ye old fish n chips"), because they do not market their Fish n Chips as "British", but they make a mean plate of fish!.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by effi
There is also a British pub at the other end of Thomas, but it is not so good. The original pub burned down a couple of years ago and they rebuilt it further up Thomas, but the food is not as good as it used to be.
I'm Just off Thomas, but have never seen that pub? It must be on Thomas towards Phoenix past 44th street, as I dont go that way often, most of my travels take me down Thomas to the 101 loop. Could it be the sister pub of the George and Dragon which is in Tempe? I know I read somewhere that the owner of the G&D in Tempe owns another one close by also. I know he is making a killing there with all the workers near by who get their lunch at his pub, due to it being just outside the city limits, therefore it gets out of the smoking ban that Tempe inforced.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:00 am
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah where the British food store in AZ judt fo future reference?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:02 am
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a British pub in Sierra Vista AZ but I was the only Brit ever to set foot in the place and the only British thing in there was a poster for Boddingtons, to say the least I was dissapointed
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dudleydowg
Yeah where the British food store in AZ judt fo future reference?
It would be a 2 hour drive for you if you plan to settle in Tuscon. Its in Scottsdale on Thomas road at the cross section of Hayden road in a little shopping area called "Indian Plaza". Click the link from one of my earlier posts to see what they have.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:27 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Nearest thing I have to a UK pub is an "Irish pub", but it's a bit of a dive and looks more like a redneck sports bar...so eh no I don't really have one. There's a chippie called the rose and thistle in town that I havent tried yet, never really had the urge for some reason, prefer taco bell
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point

wow thanks for all the replies everyone.

makes me feel good.

I am sick of fish and chips by the way... cant wait for the change.

I sense a lot of mixed emotions about living in the US... one thing i don't know about is your ages, i am sure things will be different at different stages of your life.

I am 30, my wife is 24 and my son is 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.