Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

life in the US of A

life in the US of A

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
The honeymoon is over for me, I am not unhappy but I am not as arse wipingly happy as most brits seem to be on this board - then again I am a realist and don't think just because gas is cheap and I can buy an acre I am going to be happy.

Patrick
Ahhh, thats the lovable Patrick we get all the threads started about
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I am a realist and don't think just because gas is cheap and I can buy an acre I am going to be happy. ....
The trouble is I can't imagine under what circumstances you would ever admit to being happy. We are only on this planet once so I see no point is being miserable about life!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:25 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

then again I am a realist and don't think just because gas is cheap and I can buy an acre I am going to be happy.

Patrick
Just out of interest, what would make you happy?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Just out of interest, what would make you happy?

Did you miss the bit where he said "I am not unhappy" ? I read what he said to mean that his happiness doesn't depend on material things.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:33 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Did you miss the bit where he said "I am not unhappy" ? I read what he said to mean that his happiness doesn't depend on material things.
Exactly, I have a nice house but at the end of the day it is just a house. I drive a car which gets me from a to b, and the gas allows me to do that.

In the 18 months I have been on this board a recurring post has been placed by many people who have gone on vacation to the US and want to live there because the clothes and gas are cheap and they can get a bigger house for their money. Well if these things are important to you then I wish you all the luck in the world but I as long as my wife is healthy and happy and I am healthy and happy and we are not too hungery or uncormfortable everything else is garnish.

I feel very fortunate to have what I have I have. Reading some peoples posts it seems that all they are interested in is having a bigger house or a better car or gloating about what they have over what they had instead of realizing how lucky they are. I try and give back as much as possible because I beleive I have been blessed and thats what makes me happy, giving back.

Patrick

Oh I also enjoy taking the piss out of dickheads on this ng who are too big for their britches
Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I also enjoy taking the piss out of dickheads on this ng who are too big for their britches
I drive a 93 Ford Tempo.......
live in squalor.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

koenig is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in Miami for three years and am seriously homesick for England. This is compounded by the fact that I cannot leave the US until I get my Advance Parole (a travel document, not a get out of jail early document! Honest)

I am fairly adaptable, but it is the little differences between the two places that are getting me down.

The food on the whole is very different. You get more quantity here, but the quality is a lot worse. I continually ask why the bacon here is nuked to within an inch of it's life, yet steaks are eaten blood rare. Baked beans contain life threatening amounts of sugar and/or molasses. The sausages are mainly just pork burgers in a cylindrical form, but I have found bratwurst are not too bad. I know I can get all these things at a British store, but they just make me pine for the meat aisles at Tesco's.

I have brilliant neighbours, but on the whole, the average joe in Miami is very thick, and has no sense of humour. I am British Asian and was asked if everyone in Britain looked like me! She was not joking.

I also miss my six weeks holiday, WH Smiths, all the proper sports and working life in Britain. I spent a lot of time over the years in India, and the culture shock is greater here than it ever was there.

On the plus side I like the US for it's opportunities, lifestyle and wages. Ideally I will be able to start a business which allows me to spend some portion of the year in the UK as well.

Well, got that off my chest. Found this board recently, and it appears there are a lot of nice, normal people inhabiting it.

Koenig
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I feel very fortunate to have what I have I have. Reading some peoples posts it seems that all they are interested in is having a bigger house or a better car or gloating about what they have over what they had instead of realizing how lucky they are. I try and give back as much as possible because I beleive I have been blessed and thats what makes me happy, giving back.
I believe its what most Americans call, living "The American Dream" Thats the difference between living here and living in Britain. Here people work and strive for the bigger house or the bigger car, back home, the guy who gets the bigger house or bigger car gets nothing but jelousy and spite. I hope you continue to be just happy and hope the odd bit of garnish crops up to make it that bit more special. Myself, I plan on taking up the many opportunities that this country has to offer, so that one day I can hopefully say that I'm living the American dream also.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:43 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

This was my first thought when I realised I was going to raise a child in the US... Thank god she wont have to play netball first thing in the schoolday!

Favourite thing of mine is letting the kids run free in Vermont and not cooking unless someone asks for a hotdog. Letting them stay in their bathing suits from Friday till Sunday!

Tha's living!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:08 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I believe its what most Americans call, living "The American Dream" Thats the difference between living here and living in Britain. Here people work and strive for the bigger house or the bigger car, back home, the guy who gets the bigger house or bigger car gets nothing but jelousy and spite. I hope you continue to be just happy and hope the odd bit of garnish crops up to make it that bit more special. Myself, I plan on taking up the many opportunities that this country has to offer, so that one day I can hopefully say that I'm living the American dream also.
I have to agree with you. I did mention not missing 'politics of envy attitude' in my original post on this topic.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:12 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally posted by Taffyles
No I didn't miss that bit. I just saw the bit where he said

but I am not as arse wipingly happy as most brits seem to be on this board - ........(I) don't think just because gas is cheap and I can buy an acre I am going to be happy.
Now you can see how that may have been interpreted.

CB
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with your comments. I have been over here 9 years. When I left the UK all I had to show for 16 years of hard work was a mid tier job in a international bank, a large mortgage and a serious amount of other debt. I lived from pay day to pay day. I come from a poor inner London Family and always felt that in the world of Banking my iffy Cockney accent held me back.

Since comming here I have managed to work my way up the corporate ladder to become a senior exec. Purchased two homes outright, own 3 cars outright and currently putting my kids through private school. No one puts me in a box based upon my accent, in fact I have found it to be an asset.

I like to think that I am living the American dream, and long may it last.

Originally posted by Pimpbot