British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   life on the road (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/life-road-645547/)

liclgl Dec 20th 2009 6:16 pm

life on the road

Recently, the thought crept into me, to give up the rented apartment and buy a house trailer instead. Not just for a trip, but in general, as a place of residence...Do you think that's possible, In the US, to live, work, have a relationships, when the house is on wheels?

Mummy in the foothills Dec 20th 2009 6:25 pm

Re: life on the road

Originally Posted by liclgl (Post 8187486)
Recently, the thought crept into me, to give up the rented apartment and buy a house trailer instead. Not just for a trip, but in general, as a place of residence...Do you think that's possible, In the US, to live, work, have a relationships, when the house is on wheels?

Trailer parks are everywhere lots of people live in them full time. Depends what you want.

liclgl Dec 20th 2009 6:48 pm

:thumbsup:These are more cheaper temporary substitute.
I mean more as a slow movement, a few months here, a few months there, Drifting Away. The question is more about things like mail, an address for a bank account, DL and such...Is it possible to live outside the box and still make a living lawful and with dignity?

livinginreality Dec 20th 2009 7:01 pm

I spent nearly two years living in a caravan (in Oz many moons ago).We had a newborn baby when we first moved into the van.I guess it was a fairly good experience,but got pretty tiring towards the end.Our van was quite spacious and we also had a full length annexe joined onto the side.We ended up moving out into a house when our daughter turned 2 because we did'nt have our own private space outside.Its not a lifestyle I would choose again,but I'm glad I had the experience.

liclgl Dec 20th 2009 7:14 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

ian-mstm Dec 20th 2009 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by liclgl (Post 8187538)
Is it possible to live outside the box and still make a living lawful and with dignity?

It's fairly easy to live outside the box as long as you have limited possessions. For things like a trailer... you're still going to need some sort of permanent address for mail to get to (although a P.O. box would suffice). Insurance on the trailer might get tricky if it's not permanently moored somewhere... still, it's doable.

Just so you know, there is a rather derogatory phrase used by many of my Southern neighbors to describe those such as you intend... "trailer trash". Generally meant to denote those too poor to live in something better, as long as you can live with the moniker you'll probably be fine.

Ian

Ray Dec 20th 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by liclgl (Post 8187486)

You need an RV

Thisa is a nice one ... http://www.newellcoach.com/inventory...php?coach=1285

anotherlimey Dec 20th 2009 9:04 pm

I mean more as a slow movement, a few months here, a few months there, Drifting Away. The question is more about things like mail, an address for a bank account, DL and such...Is it possible to live outside the box and still make a living lawful and with dignity?

There are companies that will receive and scan your mail into electronic form. Just Google it.

Phone - get a VoIP solution so it's usable anywhere you can get an internet connection. Or just get a cellphone.

Internet - via the cell network if the trailer parks don't provide it.

Get electronic statements for bank accounts etc.

AdobePinon Dec 21st 2009 5:13 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8187727)
For things like a trailer... you're still going to need some sort of permanent address for mail to get to (although a P.O. box would suffice).

For the OP's benefit: You usually need a permanent address to get a PO Box, so you should get that before you hit the road.

another bloody yank Dec 21st 2009 12:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Google "full time RV".

http://fulltimerver.com/

And it's really not what I would refer to as "trailer trash". That's a whole 'nother deal, and surprisingly, doesn't even require the person so described to live in a trailer.

Rete Dec 21st 2009 12:22 pm

That's super easy to rectify. There is a business in the midwest that is setup just for that purpose. It provides the permanent address for your mail delivery, etc. and you tell them where your next stop will be and they then forward everything to you.

Of course you can live outside of the box and live and work lawfully.

Englishtart Dec 21st 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8189113)
That's super easy to rectify. There is a business in the midwest that is setup just for that purpose. It provides the permanent address for your mail delivery, etc. and you tell them where your next stop will be and they then forward everything to you.

Of course you can live outside of the box and live and work lawfully.

:thumbsup: Sounds like a great life to me, we aspire to live 'mobile' once hubby retires (again) I would probably want something as a base, just a little place somewhere, but for the major part, we want to be 'on the road'

Well, we can dream...;)

liclgl Dec 21st 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8187766)
You need an RV
Thisa is a nice one ... http://www.newellcoach.com/inventory...php?coach=1285

Yes It Is....:eek:

Thanks to all who respond, I certainly will check in depth the links and info.

Ray Dec 21st 2009 8:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)
No pikeys though

Englishtart Dec 21st 2009 8:21 pm

:rofl:you make such a jolly looking Santa Ray ;)

not! :eek: