Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is Life insurance payout to LPR taxed

Is Life insurance payout to LPR taxed

Old Feb 27th 2016, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Life insurance payout to LPR taxed

Can anyone advise please? I know that Life insurance death benefit if left to LPR spouse as a named beneficiary with the deceased being the owner of the policy is classed as part of deceased spouses estate. do LPRs have the same tax exemption on estates as citizens? i.e under 5 million would be tax free. I've been searching the net and have found conflicting information.

My husband (an LPR also) died last month and I'm expecting a payout from his life insurance which I want to avoid being taxed by Uncle Sam obviously. If it will be .. I have time (before filing taxes next year) to apply for citizenship, but I dont want to do that unless I really have to.

Last edited by Taffyles; Feb 27th 2016 at 5:58 am.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Life insurance payout to LPR taxed

Sorry for the loss of your husband

I am curious to know too as I was not able to find a clear cut answer either.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding was that the difference between US citizens and other US persons (as per the tax rules) is that US citizens can leave an unlimited amount to their spouse, whereas the unlimited exemption does not apply for non-citizen spouses, so only estates under $5.45 million would be tax-free.
Estate Planning When You’re Married to a Noncitizen | Nolo.com
Old Feb 27th 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both. Owen that's what I'm hoping is the correct information, nolo and another tax lawyer site says this, but on two other legal sites it says that permanent residents have the same exemption as non resident aliens of only $60,000. Every tax person I've phoned to ask a question come back with the same stock answer "Life insurance is never taxed for spouses".. when I ask about permanent resident status I have to make an appointment ...and pay, of course. I did find out that the IRS gives you a 6 month extension on estate taxes if you have to apply for citizenship.

I just wondered if anyone on the forum had any experience of this. Or any tax lawyers about who know something about immigration?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Thanks both. Owen that's what I'm hoping is the correct information, nolo and another tax lawyer site says this, but on two other legal sites it says that permanent residents have the same exemption as non resident aliens of only $60,000. Every tax person I've phoned to ask a question come back with the same stock answer "Life insurance is never taxed for spouses".. when I ask about permanent resident status I have to make an appointment ...and pay, of course. I did find out that the IRS gives you a 6 month extension on estate taxes if you have to apply for citizenship.

I just wondered if anyone on the forum had any experience of this. Or any tax lawyers about who know something about immigration?
These are the instructions for estate tax filing for US citizens and residents. Page 2 says that you don't have to file unless your estate is above the $5.? million limit. The form and rules for non-resident aliens who have to file for estate taxes are different (form 706-A not 706).
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i706.pdf
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There are estate taxes and inheritance taxes involved. Also there may be some State taxes that you have to pay. I always though LPR limit was $100k , but that was just hear say.

This site looks interesting

Estate Planning for Non US Citizens - Greencard Holder - Florida Lawyer & Attorney
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Can anyone advise please? I know that Life insurance death benefit if left to LPR spouse as a named beneficiary with the deceased being the owner of the policy is classed as part of deceased spouses estate. do LPRs have the same tax exemption on estates as citizens? i.e under 5 million would be tax free. I've been searching the net and have found conflicting information.

My husband (an LPR also) died last month and I'm expecting a payout from his life insurance which I want to avoid being taxed by Uncle Sam obviously. If it will be .. I have time (before filing taxes next year) to apply for citizenship, but I dont want to do that unless I really have to.

Sorry for your loss.

Life insurance is not taxable. It is not part of the estate.

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources...rance-Proceeds
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Sorry for your loss.

Life insurance is not taxable. It is not part of the estate.

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources...rance-Proceeds
That link just states that it does not count as income. Does it count towards the total estate value?
Generally, if you receive the proceeds under a life insurance contract as a beneficiary due to the death of the insured person, the benefits are not includable in gross income and do not have to be reported.

This link says to include it for Oregon taxes
Include all property in your determination, including life insurance. (Note: A commonly held belief is that life insurance is "not taxed." This is only true in that it is not taxed as income to the beneficiary. It is included as an estate asset and taxed as part of your estate.)

LAW CHANGE ALERT: Oregon Inheritance Tax (Oregon Estate Planning Blog)

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 3rd 2016 at 6:32 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Found another article you may want to read

http://www.jacksonmontoyalawfirm.com...S-Citizens.pdf

The marital deduction. All property left to a surviving spouse passes free of estate tax. (I.R.C. § 2056(a).) The marital deduction is not allowed for property left to noncitizen spouses, but the personal estate tax exemption can be used for property left to noncitizen spouses.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ave-29802.html

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 9th 2016 at 4:38 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all for your help.. and mrken30 for the lawyers link.. I have just submitted a request to them for a free consultation. I will post their answer when I get one.

Looking at their website I think I will be okay and wont have to apply for citizenship.. just yet anyway

Florida has its benefits.. no State income tax, estate tax, or inheritance tax.. so wont have to worry about that anyway. Wow some States dont half clobber you.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bewildering.. Life insurance proceeds left to a named beneficiary is classed as part of the deceased's estate. To avoid this..own the policy for your spouse.. then as owner the proceeds come to you and will not be part of the spouse's estate. We should have done this, but I've learned.. I've cancelled my life insurance policy and my children are taking one out on me, as owners they will avoid being taxed on it.