Reload this Page >

Life Insurance for H1-B

Wikiposts

Life Insurance for H1-B

Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Anonymous One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life Insurance for H1-B

I wonder if someone could point me in the direction of a company that will offer Life Insurance to someone on an H1-B. I have been turned down by a couple of companies already and am getting a bit fed up. In both cases, I have told the agent up front the situation, and they seem fine with it. I have had two medicals, and have been turned down by the underwriters on both occasions because of my status.

I know this topic has come up before and a previous thread mentioned Zurich. Is this them: http://www.zurichkemper.com/? Are there any others that people are using?

My wife is on an H4. Is there a company that will insure her?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:39 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

go to www.zanderins.com

get some quotes and give them a call.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice. I have tried these quote services before and they usually (in my experience anyway) won't touch someone who doesn't have a GC at least.

Do you have any reason to believe that Zanderins is any different?

Originally posted by manc1976
go to www.zanderins.com

get some quotes and give them a call.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 5:43 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Anonymous One
Thanks for your advice. I have tried these quote services before and they usually (in my experience anyway) won't touch someone who doesn't have a GC at least.

Do you have any reason to believe that Zanderins is any different?
Just a radio recoomendation from the Dave Ramsey Show (financial & investing show)
I work for State Farm, but I can only insure people in Michigan. There however a Canadian/USA citizen check box on the application of our policies so I don't know where you would stand with regards us.
But as I said I can only do State Farm, Zander are an independent agency and can write policies from a lot of different companies that have different underwriting rules. I am sure they may be able to help you.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:19 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: Life Insurance for H1-B

I wonder if someone could point me in the direction of a company that will offer Life Insurance to someone on an H1-B. I have been turned down by a couple of companies already and am getting a bit fed up. In both cases, I have told the agent up front the situation, and they seem fine with it. I have had two medicals, and have been turned down by the underwriters on both occasions because of my status.

I know this topic has come up before and a previous thread mentioned Zurich. Is this them: http://www.zurichkemper.com/? Are there any others that people are using?

My wife is on an H4. Is there a company that will insure her?

Thanks for your help!
Surely your company has medical and life insurance plans open to you and your dependants? Mine has excellent, well-discounted plans, open to all employees, whatever status.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:22 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by JulianB
Surely your company has medical and life insurance plans open to you and your dependants? Mine has excellent, well-discounted plans, open to all employees, whatever status.

go through your employer. might not be what you want but it might be the only option
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:53 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Both my husband and I have life assurance and we are on L1 and L2 visas. We went through Liberty Mutual. We do own a home, though, so I don't know if that made a difference.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Gross50
go through your employer. might not be what you want but it might be the only option
Yes, I have 2x salary at work currently, but we have just bought a house and have a second baby due in a few weeks. 2x isn't enough to cover the mortgage, let alone support my wife and kids if anything happened to me.

I figure I need at least 6 times salary.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Ben
Both my husband and I have life assurance and we are on L1 and L2 visas. We went through Liberty Mutual. We do own a home, though, so I don't know if that made a difference.
Excellent, I will give Liberty a call. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Just a radio recoomendation from the Dave Ramsey Show (financial & investing show)
I work for State Farm, but I can only insure people in Michigan. There however a Canadian/USA citizen check box on the application of our policies so I don't know where you would stand with regards us.
But as I said I can only do State Farm, Zander are an independent agency and can write policies from a lot of different companies that have different underwriting rules. I am sure they may be able to help you.
I am really not looking forward to "cold calling" insurance companies from a list of quotes. It is difficult/impossible to get to speak to someone who knows what a H1 is, let alone whether they will offer coverage. Still, I guess it might be by best/only option.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:17 am
@matthewb76

I am really not looking forward to "cold calling" insurance companies
You call Zander Ins. not the insurance company direct.
although I do understand your trepidation.

I also fully understand about them not having a clue about a H-1b visa either, however from what I know of insurance companies is that they have no problem taking your money off you, so I wouldn't think it's too much of a hurdle.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:50 am
Just Joined

You call Zander Ins. not the insurance company direct.
although I do understand your trepidation.

I also fully understand about them not having a clue about a H-1b visa either, however from what I know of insurance companies is that they have no problem taking your money off you, so I wouldn't think it's too much of a hurdle.
Just heard back from Zander, they won't do anything without a greencard at least :-(
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:51 am
@matthewb76

Just heard back from Zander, they won't do anything without a greencard at least :-(
I'm sorry dude.
I tried.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 5:03 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried going to the company that you insure your car with? That is all we did. We were recommended Liberty Mutual for car and home insurance so we went to them when we needed life insurance.

The other thought is to go international. Use companies like Prudential or Liberty Mutual that have offices in other countries.

Or what about through your bank.

I don't understand why insurance companies aren't touching you because once you have had a medical and are cleared to be insured, it all comes down to you paying the premiums. If you don't pay you are not covered. Unless you are asking for something else? Now that we have been insured with LM for a while we can change our life insurance and we won't need medicals dong again or other checking. Maybe you are asking for the wrong thing? Just a thought.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 5:07 am
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Ben

I don't understand why insurance companies aren't touching you because once you have had a medical and are cleared to be insured, it all comes down to you paying the premiums.
Those are my thoughts as well Ben.
I mean if push came to shove and Anonymous had to go back to the UK, then the policy will just cancel..........
It's not like the INS company lost anything is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.