Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance for Expats

Life Insurance for Expats

Old Nov 8th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

le10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nice
Default Life Insurance for Expats

Hi,

Just looking at life insurance here in the US.

In general terms; do you have to be considered a permanent legal resident to get life insurance ?

Also, anyone have experience as to whether my UK life insurance, that I'm still paying, would be valid whilst I'm in the US ?

I will follow up with my insurance company but just wondered if you guys had dealt with this already ?

Many thanks,

Paul
Old Nov 8th 2011, 3:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life Insurance for Expats

Originally Posted by le10
Hi,

In general terms; do you have to be considered a permanent legal resident to get life insurance ?

Also, anyone have experience as to whether my UK life insurance, that I'm still paying, would be valid whilst I'm in the US ?

I will follow up with my insurance company but just wondered if you guys had dealt with this already ?

Many thanks,

Paul
We still have our life insurance in the UK. I called and asked if it was still valid before we left the country and they said as long as it was paid from a UK bank account it was valid.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by le10
Hi,

Many thanks,

Paul
Just a FYI - not sure if anyone else has found this, but I have been looking into getting life insurance quotes from US companies here (I have it through work but wanted to see if I could get it cheaper) and its been a real pain. It's been 7 weeks since I started the process and they just keep coming back and asking for more info - "why aren't you going to stay in the US", "can we have your visa number again" (been asked that 3 times now) etc

Pretty sure you can just set up life insurance online in the UK and they cover you on a preliminary basis until they have reviewed your medical file or you have had a medical check up...just seems too personalized here (I know it has to be but I'm only 39 and never been sick, no history of illness in family etc..................) Surely the US could have a similar system.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

le10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nicele10 is just really nice

Thanks guys...

Just checked with my insurer (Aviva) and they also said that so long as its paid for via a UK bank account, it's fine.

Seems simpler than going through the convoluted process here.

Paul.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've found US term life insurance to be significantly cheaper than from the major UK companies. I've also never had a hassle getting insurance here, although I probably had a green Card before I applied iirc.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

After 9 weeks of going back and forth with Select Quote and ING Life Insurance they came back saying we can't have life insurance through them as we are foreign nationals without green cards.................

I have life insurance through work. However, we are expecting and wanted to get my wife covered (she was covered when we were in the UK through her work but she chose not to work over here). The house in the UK is under her name and the mortgage gets paid off if she dies through a policy linked to the mortgage.

They will only let me insure my wife through my work scheme for $100k which is way too low.

Has anyone managed to get insurance in the USA or via the UK for that matter (whilst living in the USA) that isnt through a work policy? We are looking for about $600k'ish

I have wasted 9 weeks with these idiots and just want to get it sorted now - any ideas/help would be appreciated
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Who do you have your car/house insurance with? We are with State Farm and they also offer life insurance. I couldn't tell you if you have to have a Green card as we have various other life insurances also, but maybe your general insurer could help.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

In general terms; do you have to be considered a permanent legal resident to get
life insurance ?
depends on the state. but generally you need to be a resident in the USA or on something more tangible than just a visa waiver........

Also, anyone have experience as to whether my UK life insurance, that I'm
still paying, would be valid whilst I'm in the US ?
you keep paying it, it's still valid, unless expressly stipulated in the policy. Which I doubt.

General events in life are exclusions, (such as war, etc....) not locations.