Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance dilemmas

Life Insurance dilemmas

Old May 30th 2012, 7:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life Insurance dilemmas

Most people post about having health insurance troubles. Ours is life insurance. Sadegh is covered by my employers health insurance, so no issues there.

But it's been tough to get life insurance for him. In order to be covered by my employer, I would have to raise the amount of life insurance I carry through my employer (currently I carry the minimum, without paying a premium), and it becomes really expensive.

When Sadegh first arrived in the USA, no one would cover him because he wasn't a USC, and he was traveling back to Iran (they consider that a war zone, ugh).

Now he's been a USC for 2 years, and isn't traveling back to Iran as much (although he still will in the future...all his family is there). Recently I spoke to a couple of agents who said that as long as Sadegh has no imminent plans for traveling to Iran, they could cover him. Great news, right?

So I chose one of the agents, and we get to the point of them wanting to send over an original application for Sadegh to fill out, and then have a phone interview. I probably made a mistake, but I happened to mention that I'll be helping Sadegh fill in the application, because he doesn't know all this insurance / health / legal terminology. The agent's answer was "Oh, if his English isn't good enough to understand all that, we can't cover him"! UGHHH. Sadegh's English is good enough for daily conversation, but nowhere near good enough to read and answer an extensive questionnaire about his health. He just doesn't understand that vocabulary. I tried to reassure the agent that I speak Farsi and English fluently and would translate accurately, but they wouldn't do it. I said they could at least do the phone interview and see how it goes, he probably would do better with speaking than reading/writing....and then decide...he said no. I was sooo frustrated!

I mean really? There must be tons of people in the USA who don't even speak any English, who have managed to get life insurance, isn't there? I suppose I understand the agent's point of view...Sadegh would be signing a legal document and should understand it all....but isn't that what a translator is for??

I just thought that was a little harsh. I've found an agent in Los Angeles who seems to be OK with it, I guess they cover a lot of foreigners there, but I haven't had time to pursue it much. I don't even know the name of the insurance company, just the agent...I found her on the internet.

I know most on here already speak English, but has anyone else had this problem? Or know of anyone who has?

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 8:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life Insurance dilemmas

Ignoring your English language issue, have you looked at the premiums that your company's insurer will offer for the increase in your insurance and hubby's? I can't believe it is all that great an increase, plus new premium, when you compare private life insurance costs. This is where both hubby and I have our primary life insurance in addition to the private one I carry on my life. The increase for my premium at the office in addition to Jim's coverage comes to under $15 a month.

Check with your auto insurers or home owner's insurer. Forget about mentioning the English issue. It is not important in insuring a life. The medical, if one is required, is important.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Ignoring your English language issue, have you looked at the premiums that your company's insurer will offer for the increase in your insurance and hubby's? I can't believe it is all that great an increase, plus new premium, when you compare private life insurance costs. This is where both hubby and I have our primary life insurance in addition to the private one I carry on my life. The increase for my premium at the office in addition to Jim's coverage comes to under $15 a month.
I'll double check, but I think the reason I didn't choose my employer's life insurance was because of the cost of the premium (I had to like triple my amount, at a cost, and then add Sadegh's, at a cost). The private insurer I spoke to quoted $17/month for Sadegh, and mine is free through my employer.

Check with your auto insurers or home owner's insurer.
Yep, that is the one who said "no".

Forget about mentioning the English issue. It is not important in insuring a life. The medical, if one is required, is important.
Lesson learned...next time when I call around, I won't even mention English! They'll figure it out for themselves if they do a phone interview.

Thanks Rete.

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ask AAA? They usually have good rates, even if often offered via a local credit union type place.

Definitely get a group policy discount via house/renters and car insurance, so well worth looking into.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Definitely get a group policy discount via house/renters and car insurance, so well worth looking into.
Maybe I'll have to call my home/car insurance company back and just talk to a different agent, and this time leave the English language problem out of the whole conversation.

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 10:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ask AAA? They usually have good rates, even if often offered via a local credit union type place.

Thats who we went with, they came to the house and did all the paperwork and took BP's etc, made it all very easy.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats who we went with, they came to the house and did all the paperwork and took BP's etc, made it all very easy.
I don't belong to AAA, do you have to be a member?

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
I don't know, but when we joined it was $28 introductory membership which was worth it for the car finance deal we got at the time and then the coupons at the outlet mall.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/aaa.com Seems to have a discount code for Arizona, but I've seen better in the past, so might be worth googling other discount code sites
Old May 30th 2012, 11:50 pm

Thanks, Bob.

Rene
Old May 31st 2012, 12:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take this the wrong way, but..... If you have the larger income, maybe the minimum insurance isn't enough for you anyway.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Have you approached agents in LA? I have Iranian friends who deal with the 'life' stuff with diaspora agents in LA.

Just like my Armenian friends (even here in Houston) deal with diaspora agents in Glendale, CA.

There are often diaspora papers with adverts to get you started...and a fellow Farsi speaker may know the ins and outs of how to get your husband covered.

I just don't think your agent that has your other insurance is...well..batting for the bleachers. (Meaning, he/she isn't trying hard enough or care to.)

Good luck!
Old May 31st 2012, 1:31 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am hearing that your frustration is the "English speaking" issue,not the insurance issue. You could add him to your employer scheme no questions asked right? You currently have the minimum/free coverage, as I do which suggests you do not have huge needs in the event of a death. Just add him and pay the difference, or forget about it and live life, as in my opinion it's a scam anyway.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Don't take this the wrong way, but..... If you have the larger income, maybe the minimum insurance isn't enough for you anyway.
Originally Posted by RICH
I am hearing that your frustration is the "English speaking" issue,not the insurance issue. You could add him to your employer scheme no questions asked right? You currently have the minimum/free coverage, as I do which suggests you do not have huge needs in the event of a death. Just add him and pay the difference, or forget about it and live life, as in my opinion it's a scam anyway.
You both have good points. Our incomes are about equal, actually, but he's self employed so has to get his own life insurance. I never increased mine because my minimum is enough to pay off my debt and cover burial arrangements.

I know we've done without Sadegh having life insurance for 8 years now, and he's got minimal debt that I'd be responsible for, so could probably cope.

My biggest concern for the past couple of years has been Sadegh's younger brother, who is in the USA with an asylum case pending. If anything happens to Sadegh, his brother would be really struggling for income (they work together right now, but it would be too much for his brother all alone). He has (and probably will continue to have) lawyer expenses for his asylum case, etc....I just have been feeling like he would need a largish-sum to keep afloat until he can find his own way...he leans a lot on Sadegh right now. Anyway, TMI maybe, but that's why I've been looking into it again.

I called our benefits department today and left a message to get another quote on how much it would be to add Sadegh to my plan at work. It's a weird setup, hard to explain here, but basically he can only get a policy for 1/2 the value of mine, so in order to get him up to a good level, it would mean me also paying extra for 1x or 2x my own salary (right now I get my base yearly salary payout). I don't know if they'd need a medical exam from him or not, I'll ask when I hear back from them. Even if they do, it should be OK, he's healthy. Ugh. I hate insurance!

I'll see Sadegh in a couple of weeks and will let him know about that contact I found in LA. I'm sure if he asks around enough over there, he could find someone, too. Yes, it was the "English speaking" issue that frustrated me, it just seemed so unfair.

Thanks for everyone's input
Old May 31st 2012, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
If he is over 50, join AARP and look into one of the life insurance offers they have for seniors.

Your company's plan is the same as mine.

Last edited by Rete; May 31st 2012 at 12:20 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
If he is over 50, join AARP and look into one of the life insurance offers they have for seniors.

Your company's plan is the same as mine.
I'm over 50, but Sadegh is not. I used to belong to AARP and asked them about it already, about 2 years ago. Sadegh didn't qualify through AARP because he's too young.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.