Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life insurance

Life insurance

Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life insurance

I am trying to get life insurance. After 2 months of faffing around, the first attempt via Progressive failed because i am on an L-1B visa. So i started the process again via Geico, after they assured me that the visa would not be a problem. Again, more blood tests etc, results come back all ok, and now 2 months later i am told they cannot give me any life insurance as it is more than a couple of years since i went to a doctor. I am <50, so go along to a doctor when i am ill. Touch wood, i have been healthy, so no need to see a doctor. I cannot believe it is this difficult, i am after cover for $500K and with wife and 3 kids, need something pretty urgently. Anyone got any recommendations?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life insurance

Go along to your doctor and have an annual check up. It is quite common to do that here and your medical insurance will cover it, accept for the co-pays etc.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is more difficult for people who are not U.S. citizens or green card holders to get life insurance in the United States.

Did you have life insurance in your former country, and keep the policy active?

Is your employer providing you with life insurance, and if not, why not?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies

lansbury - broker had just called back. If i go along to a doctor, then they will be able to start the policy. I can't think the doctor is going to do anything that was not covered by all the blood/urine etc tests that were done on behalf of the life insurance company already

JAJ - i had a company policy in the UK, but was told specifically that it would not cover me in the USA. Company are happy to pay the premiums, but i need to set it up myself over here.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
lansbury - broker had just called back. If i go along to a doctor, then they will be able to start the policy. I can't think the doctor is going to do anything that was not covered by all the blood/urine etc tests that were done on behalf of the life insurance company already
I'm sure it will be the same test etc, but sometimes it is just necessary to oil the wheel to get things done.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, guess you are right. One thing like this would be ok, it is the gradual accumulation of inflexibilities that get to you. It's a case of gritting teeth, looking out the window at the bright blue sky, and doing a quick check on temp difference between here and the UK
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ - i had a company policy in the UK, but was told specifically that it would not cover me in the USA. Company are happy to pay the premiums, but i need to set it up myself over here.
But you've found out that getting life insurance in another country (as a temporary resident) is not always easy.

The company should have arranged for your U.K. company life insurance to continue coverage. This is quite normal for expatriate postings.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a 403b, 401k or similar retirement plan with your employer? If so, do they (the insurance or investment company that administers the retirement plan) provide life insurance? I no longer have life insurance because I don't need it, but when I had a policy it was in tandem with my employer provided 403b plan, and as such, no medical etc required.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you looking for term? If so for how long?

Just wondering why it is now so urgent, unless you had triplets.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My alien husband has been in the USA for 9 years, and was pretty impossible for him to get life insurance until he was a USC...insurance companies wouldn't even try. He could get it through my employer, but it was way too expensive. Finally, now that he's a USC, one company agreed, but when it came down to the final wire, my husband's lack of English skills made them say no, because they were afaid he wouldn't understand what he was signing, even though we could get someone (me or someone else) to help him translate and understand. They still said no.

Part of his problem is that he travels back to Iran once a year to see his family back home....the insurance companies don't like that.

Rene
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to guess it is the travel issue, a PR should have no problem due to being a PR.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

We are permanent residents and had no trouble getting term life insurance (whole life policies are a waste of time)

We went with the same broker who got our car insurance, Mutual of Omaha insures one of us and I forget the other one.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:24 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We are permanent residents and had no trouble getting term life insurance
Except that the original poster is NOT a permanent resident, hence has had problems.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

JAJ, you are right. We are a bit of a special case in that it is a small company (<20 employees between UK and USA) and i am the guinea pig for anyone moving between the two branches. We have had to do all of the visa/moving etc work ourselves anyway (although the company has paid the bills). I just didn't realise it would be as tricky as it is to set up.

Boiler - going for term insurance. No triplets, the process has taken 6 months so far, and whilst i am covered while the application goes through, as soon as they say no, the cover stops.

Latest is that i need to see a physician's assistant at the local practice so show i am registered and that should sufficient. We shall see....
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:33 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

JAJ, you are right. We are a bit of a special case in that it is a small company (<20 employees between UK and USA) and i am the guinea pig for anyone moving between the two branches. We have had to do all of the visa/moving etc work ourselves anyway (although the company has paid the bills). I just didn't realise it would be as tricky as it is to set up.

Boiler - going for term insurance. No triplets, the process has taken 6 months so far, and whilst i am covered while the application goes through, as soon as they say no, the cover stops.

Latest is that i need to see a physician's assistant at the local practice so show i am registered and that should sufficient. We shall see....
Do you use a payroll company here in the States (by this I mean an outsourced company to handle your payroll)? They are often able to help with getting coverage for small companies (although obviously they do take a fee). Otherwise getting medical coverage/life insurance/401(k)s etc setup can be quite difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.