Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance

Life Insurance

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life Insurance

Originally Posted by Sarah
A grand!! That puts the kibosh on that then...
if you have bugger all to put into trust, why would you make one out?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry you fainted...better get that checked out eh? yeah we just upped our insurance and dracula came by a couple of mths ago and collected some blood and a wee sample.....
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sorry you fainted...better get that checked out eh? yeah we just upped our insurance and dracula came by a couple of mths ago and collected some blood and a wee sample.....
Instead of having to go through that, you can get an endorsement called GIO (guaranteed insurability option) that will allow you to up your life coverage by a set amount every 4 years without having to proove you're still healthy.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:37 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Partystar
This is through USAA.

Ours is for $250,000 - just enough to pay for the house should something happen.

Hi, Partystar, we have the same insurance company and both hubby and I had urine and blood tests too. Hubby's insurance came out higher because of his cholesterol level.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It was slightly different from the other times when I've fainted, I mean, I knew I was going & I know to tell someone, which I did. After it happened, at first I thought I had stopped it & said I was quite good at.
I saw this on "House" I think she wrinkled up, her boobs sagged
to her waist...and her leg fell off three weeks later ...
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
cool, you'll get to pay the house off, neat!
you're gonna put the kids through college on you're own then should the worst happen and hubby not come home tonight?

regards.
Life Insurance Salesman.
I know everyone is different, but what would you say is a reasonable amount of coverage Manc? Currently, I have enough to pay off the house, and provide to put little'un through college. Its a 30 year level term plan.

What I sometimes wonder about, though, is inflation - while the mortgage amount won't go up, college fees will.

Wife has very good earning capacity too, and we live well below our means, i.e we could manage on one salary, so if something should happen to one of us financially wise we wouldn't lose our shirt. One and only debt is the mortgage, 50% of which is paid for.

Is there any sort of "rule of thumb" amount for this kind of situation?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:16 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Dan725
I know everyone is different, but what would you say is a reasonable amount of coverage Manc? Currently, I have enough to pay off the house, and provide to put little'un through college. Its a 30 year level term plan.

What I sometimes wonder about, though, is inflation - while the mortgage amount won't go up, college fees will.

Wife has very good earning capacity too, and we live well below our means, i.e we could manage on one salary, so if something should happen to one of us financially wise we wouldn't lose our shirt. One and only debt is the mortgage, 50% of which is paid for.

Is there any sort of "rule of thumb" amount for this kind of situation?
The thing is, I was being a smartarse, You don't have to get the death benefit in a lump sum. You can annuatize it and spread it out.

or sell the house and get a smaller one, bank the remaining monies.

I was just in salesman mode.

You should in theory have 3 times your income at least.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:29 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

The Lord will provide.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:45 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
The Lord will provide.
But, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:25 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
Hi, Partystar, we have the same insurance company and both hubby and I had urine and blood tests too. Hubby's insurance came out higher because of his cholesterol level.
Oh they do cholesterol checks? Hmmm, I guess that's why she asked us what we last ate. I think my little fainting episode was not helped by the fact that all I had eaten in the last 24 hours, was a cookie & a muffin, I'm very bad at eating, I forget all the time, although you wouldn't think it to look at me!

PS - I love USAA!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh they do cholesterol checks? Hmmm, I guess that's why she asked us what we last ate. I think my little fainting episode was not helped by the fact that all I had eaten in the last 24 hours, was a cookie & a muffin, I'm very bad at eating, I forget all the time, although you wouldn't think it to look at me!

PS - I love USAA!
I enjoy a bit of Muff in .....
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:50 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I enjoy a bit of Muff in .....
I bet you do!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
The Lord will provide.
... and Jesus saves?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Celsius
... and Jesus saves?
...10% of his income if he listens to financial advisors!