Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life insurance

Life insurance

Old May 2nd 2003, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life insurance

Anyone out there shed the light of experience on this?...
My family has been in the US now for over 2 years. I'm here on an H1B, my wife and childred are here on H4 derivatives.
In Texas, where we live, (probably the same in all states) SS numbers are not available for H4 holders, drivers licenses are available with a letter from the SS office and so SS numbers are not 'generally' necessary (although it's a pain to explain to everyone why you don't have one!).
But..
Since we intend to stay here, I have a good job and the GC application is on it's way, we bought a house here last year. Of course the question of life insurance has come up. My wife and I applied for insurance through Zurich (the company - not Switzerland!), had the medicals, all data collected etc.... and then got turned down flat because my wife didn't have a SS number (they accepted me but I have some life assurance through my job, so my wife was the real important one). I've since made enquiries and it appears that this is a major sticking point with other companies as well.

Any experience out there?
Old May 2nd 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

In our experience whilst waiting for Labour certification and then GC- we did not qualify for Life insurance here in FL- every company we tried had a bottom line "have to be US citizen or permanent resident"....we got a few quotes from UK, although most were reluctant to insure us as we were out of the country (no man's land syndrome), the ones who were agreeable quoted sky high premiums. My husband had a little life insurance with the company- not enough to cover the mortgage though in the event of death. I wasn't insured at all. The only thing we did, apart from pray nothing happened, was take out accident coverage with one firm- so at least accidental death was covered. Just adds to the general stress of Green card waiting. Our safety net was we had kept our house in UK.
But chin up..look at all the money you save on premiums
Old May 2nd 2003, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply....
Hmm... the frustrating thing was that this company was quite happy to insure us based on our non PR status.
The sticking point was that they 'could not verify identity in the event of a claim' without a SSN.

Oh well, looks like it's yet another thing that we need to keep our fingers crossed over!

Andy.
Old May 2nd 2003, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

jennycoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried the Universal Life with joint account?
Old May 9th 2003, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you get sick of all the stupid rules! I'm here on an L2 visa with my husband, and though I now have a SSN I didn't when we first got life insurance. They took my passport number instead. I don't see why a SSN would be a better form of identity than that!
Oh well, we're in Massachusetts, maybe they're more accustomed to foreigners up here. Or actually, since we're insured through my husband's company, that's probably why they were more lenient.
Old May 9th 2003, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I do get sick of the rules like you.
But, I guess we ARE still the foreigners here and we chose to come here - no-one forced us...
It seems that having a SSN in this country is almost seen as the item that raises you from sewer rat status to Homo Sapiens. People look at my wife and children blankly when they say they haven't got one and are not entitled to one. It's almost like you can see them pulling away in case they catch something!

My daughter is doing drivers ed. at the moment and, going through THAT paperwork withou a SSN is fun, I can tell you!

Oh well, my lawyers filed for my NIW this week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Andy.
Old May 10th 2003, 2:39 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

l have been arguing with our insurance company for almost a month now over life insurance!!!!!!!

We wanted to be covered for the amount we owe on the mortgage (plus a little bit more for comfort). They will cover Ellen for $250,000 because she is employed but will only cover me for $100,000 because I am unemployed. I asked them what would happen if the roles where reversed and Ellen was at home with the kids and I was the bread winner and they said that we would both be covered for $250,000. These insurance guys really are a bunch of wankers and I really don't want to talk about them

You trying getting a mortgage in the UK without taking out life insurance, you'll have a tough job!
Old May 11th 2003, 1:17 am
Just Joined

That's strange. Which insurance company are you using? What I was told is totally different. The insurance company I am dealing with calculate the amount what my family will need to keep the same starndard of life if I passed away. In this case, It's more reseasonable.

For example:

Mortgage: $200k
my annual salary: $60k
My kids education fund: $80k
Debt(such as student load, credit card debt): $50k

So the total amount I need to insure is 200k+80k+50k+600k=$930k

PS: 600k is assuming my spouse will have this amount to invest and receive a 10% return every year which will be equal to my annual salary.

I can't believe people insure for $50k, $100k...
Is this amount good enough to take care of the family if something happend?

Most of the insurance agent just try to make a sale. They don't care how much you really need.
Old May 11th 2003, 2:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jennycoke
That's strange. Which insurance company are you using? What I was told is totally different. The insurance company I am dealing with calculate the amount what my family will need to keep the same starndard of life if I passed away. In this case, It's more reseasonable.

For example:

Mortgage: $200k
my annual salary: $60k
My kids education fund: $80k
Debt(such as student load, credit card debt): $50k

So the total amount I need to insure is 200k+80k+50k+600k=$930k

PS: 600k is assuming my spouse will have this amount to invest and receive a 10% return every year which will be equal to my annual salary.

I can't believe people insure for $50k, $100k...
Is this amount good enough to take care of the family if something happend?

Most of the insurance agent just try to make a sale. They don't care how much you really need.
It isn't enough to cover my family if I die, thats why I am fighting them. I want to be insured for $250,000 but they won't do it until I get a job. I am insured with NC Farm Bureau. There argument is that if I am not working I will not be able to make the payment?

Patrick
Old May 12th 2003, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

I and my husband are both insured, two policy in one application. But I am paying it. Maybe in this case, you will be accepted the amount you desire.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

shaunmcmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life insurance

We are a UK based IFA with many clients in the USA. They all have had the same problem as you. We have found that many companies inside the USA do not cover non GC. We can if you wish quote and supply companies who will cover you in the USA. We travel to the USA every quarter for 2-4 weeks at a time. Most proposals can be completed on line without the need for interviews.

Originally posted by AndySmithers [/i]
Anyone out there shed the light of experience on this?...
My family has been in the US now for over 2 years. I'm here on an H1B, my wife and childred are here on H4 derivatives.
In Texas, where we live, (probably the same in all states) SS numbers are not available for H4 holders, drivers licenses are available with a letter from the SS office and so SS numbers are not 'generally' necessary (although it's a pain to explain to everyone why you don't have one!).
But..
Since we intend to stay here, I have a good job and the GC application is on it's way, we bought a house here last year. Of course the question of life insurance has come up. My wife and I applied for insurance through Zurich (the company - not Switzerland!), had the medicals, all data collected etc.... and then got turned down flat because my wife didn't have a SS number (they accepted me but I have some life assurance through my job, so my wife was the real important one). I've since made enquiries and it appears that this is a major sticking point with other companies as well.

Any experience out there? [/QUOTE]