British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   License plates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/license-plates-751432/)

markwm Mar 13th 2012 12:28 am

License plates

If you have a new car (with the stickers in the window) can you take a California driving test? The DMV says you need both plates but they can take 40 days or more to arrive and the car is legal to use.

There is nothing about new cars in the DMV website (in respect of taking a driving test) that I can find.

Anyone have an insight into this? Thanks

Michael Mar 13th 2012 12:50 am

Re: License plates

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 9949631)
If you have a new car (with the stickers in the window) can you take a California driving test? The DMV says you need both plates but they can take 40 days or more to arrive and the car is legal to use.

There is nothing about new cars in the DMV website (in respect of taking a driving test) that I can find.

Anyone have an insight into this? Thanks

I have never taken the test with the temporary stickers but I can't imagine that you can't take the test. The car is registered and those stickers indicate that it is registered and legal and you are just waiting for the license plates to arrive.

Bob Mar 13th 2012 1:00 am

50 states, 50 different rules.

But if your state requires valid, legal plates, then that's what you'll need or you'll fail the test before you get in the car.

All depends on how your state handles temporary plates.

Down my way, they have no relation to what plates you might get from the DMV when you register the car and so down in my state, you can't do a test on temp plates, because you also don't get a registration document until you get the plates, because you get that along with the sticker after you get your plates.

markwm Mar 14th 2012 2:36 am

Okay, wife finally got through to the DMV and you can't take the driving test in California without both plates on the car.

md95065 Mar 14th 2012 2:45 am

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 9951837)
Okay, wife finally got through to the DMV and you can't take the driving test in California without both plates on the car.

Hmm - that does sound strange although, of course there is absolutely no reason to expect that the DMV regulations would be logical or that the DMV employees would know what they are ... :sneaky:

You would certainly need to have both plates on the vehicle if it actually had plates, but if you don't have plates because it is a new vehicle and the reason why you don't have plates is because the DMV themselves just haven't gotten around to sending them to you it would seem that you should be able to take the test in it ...

Michael Mar 14th 2012 2:50 am

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 9951837)

Rent a car for the day from Enterprise and they will give you a letter authorizing you to use the car for the road test.

markwm Mar 14th 2012 2:51 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9951847)
Hmm - that does sound strange although, of course there is absolutely no reason to expect that the DMV regulations would be logical or that the DMV employees would know what they are ... :sneaky:

You would certainly need to have both plates on the vehicle if it actually had plates, but if you don't have plates because it is a new vehicle and the reason why you don't have plates is because the DMV themselves just haven't gotten around to sending them to you it would seem that you should be able to take the test in it ...

I agree with you: seems nonsensical but the wife won't have it. It's her test so she's happy to wait for the plates to turn up and rebook the test.

markwm Mar 14th 2012 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9951851)
Rent a car for the day from Enterprise and they will give you a letter authorizing you to use the car for the road test.

That's also a good idea but the wife wants to take the test in our car cos she'll be used to it. Fair enough - it's her test. Thanks anyway: useful info for others, perhaps.

md95065 Mar 14th 2012 3:03 am

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 9951855)
That's also a good idea but the wife wants to take the test in our car cos she'll be used to it. Fair enough - it's her test. Thanks anyway: useful info for others, perhaps.

Well if SWMBO has made up her mind on the subject I guess that she will, indeed, just have to wait ... :)

markwm Mar 14th 2012 3:05 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9951867)
Well if SWMBO has made up her mind on the subject I guess that she will, indeed, just have to wait ... :)

I know my place! :)