Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Letters To Representatives Or Senators Do Not Yield Results

Letters To Representatives Or Senators Do Not Yield Results

Old Sep 12th 2002, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

waiting4T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Letters To Representatives Or Senators Do Not Yield Results

In their frustration, many applicants and their families seek assistance from their Congressional Representatives and Senators. However, assistance from congressional persons rarely produce any results. In fact, those who seek assistance from Washington soon discover that their effort to expedite their case has caused even longer delays.

Those who seek assistance from their Congressperson or Senator mistakenly believe that the Congressperson or Senator personally contacts the INS. If the Congressperson or Senator actually picked up the phone and called Doris Meissner, the Commissioner for INS, then and only then could you expect results to occur. However, the reality of how an elected official handles a request for intervention with INS does not result in a personal phone call to the INS Commissioner or anyone else.

When a request for intervention is received by the Congressperson’s office, it is actually a low level assistant who reads the letter. The request letter never reaches the desk of the Congressperson. The assistant prepares a memorandum that is attached to the request letter. The assistant then forwards a memorandum to the INS. INS routes it to the Congressional Liaison Unit. This unit then sends for the file. This usually takes a few months for INS to find the file. Then the file sits in the Congressional Liaison Unit for a few more months awaiting a clerk to review and respond. In the meantime, the original unit such as the Examination Section can no longer act on the file simply because it is at the Liaison Unit.

When the file is finally returned to the responsible unit for adjudication, it is now placed at the bottom of the pile. I suspect that is the punishment for having the nerve to complain in the first place. The Congressional INS Unit responds with the usual excuses by stating that they are understaffed and overworked but they are taking the matter very seriously, and if they can be of any further assistance, please write them again about "this matter of mutual concern." This useless response letter is then forwarded to the applicant with a cover letter from the Congressperson’s office stating that they hope the letter is of some assistance to them. And, if they need any more assistance, just let them know.
Old Sep 12th 2002, 10:37 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Letters To Representatives Or Senators Do Not Yield Results

Well I am pushin 115 days or I might be over, still no approval from Nebraska. Shoot it has been so many days I have a time keeping track now. heh Anyway I had thought about contacting a congressman but after reading some posts on here, I have deicded to not even bother. From what I have observed, I think its a waste of time cause people just get the run around most of the time & still have to wait. So I have waited this long I guess I can wait a bit more. I just hope it isnt too much longer.
Old Sep 12th 2002, 11:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PEACHSTER:
Well I am pushin 115 days or I might be over, still no approval from Nebraska. Shoot it has been so many days I have a time keeping track now. heh Anyway I had thought about contacting a congressman but after reading some posts on here, I have deicded to not even bother. From what I have observed, I think its a waste of time cause people just get the run around most of the time & still have to wait. So I have waited this long I guess I can wait a bit more. I just hope it isnt too much longer.
Congressional representatives can assist (or rather than INS Liasion's can) if there is truly a problem. If it is just a matter of waiting and you are within a proposed timeframe, then there is nothing that they can do.

BTW the poster is either a burnt user or a troll. Doris hasn't been head of the INS for a while now.

Rete
Old Sep 12th 2002, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete:

Congressional representatives can assist (or rather than INS Liasion's can) if there is truly a problem. If it is just a matter of waiting and you are within a proposed timeframe, then there is nothing that they can do.

BTW the poster is either a burnt user or a troll. Doris hasn't been head of the INS for a while now.

Rete
(Rete)
What are u talking about burnt user or troll. You say this because i posted and old article that i just read last night? I know she is not head of INS, i read this last night at this website http://www.rreeves.com/pub_082.htm and i was wondering if it was true about the file sitting in the office for months after the Rep. calls about it and then getting returned to the bottom of the pile.
Old Sep 13th 2002, 2:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by waiting4T:

(Rete)
What are u talking about burnt user or troll. You say this because i posted and old article that i just read last night? I know she is not head of INS, i read this last night at this website http://www.rreeves.com/pub_082.htm and i was wondering if it was true about the file sitting in the office for months after the Rep. calls about it and then getting returned to the bottom of the pile.
It was said because no where in your original post do you state that the post was written by someone other than yourself nor did you ask if there was any truth to the original poster's post.

If you are going to cut and paste words by someone else, you must state this outright. And if you have a question, ask it. To do neither, leads on to view you as the original poster and as the information as to the Director of INS is outdated, it makes you appear to be behind the times.

Rete
Old Sep 13th 2002, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete:

It was said because no where in your original post do you state that the post was written by someone other than yourself nor did you ask if there was any truth to the original poster's post.

If you are going to cut and paste words by someone else, you must state this outright. And if you have a question, ask it. To do neither, leads on to view you as the original poster and as the information as to the Director of INS is outdated, it makes you appear to be behind the times.

Rete
Sorry i was up late and i read it and posted it. i wasn't paying attention. I posted it to see if some of it was true the part about it staying in the office for months and then getting retured to the bottom of the pile. Was tired sorry!!!!!