British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Letterman? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/letterman-220381/)

Duncs Mar 27th 2004 4:23 pm

Letterman?

I dont watch Letterman as i prefer Jay Leno but i did watch one the other day whilst waiting for Frasier as it had been delayed but some irrelevant tedious college basketball game or another. I noticed something odd. He is just not funny. Not at all funny his jokes were really pathetic. Does anyone watch this shite and is it just me or is he the talentless buck tooth arse he seemed to be?

just bored and this has to be a new one eh Patrick?

Patrick Mar 28th 2004 2:46 am

Re: Letterman?

I too prefer Leno, but have on occasions found myself watching Letterm and I really don't see why people think he is funny. Normally I only watch the monologue of Leno and the headlines because he sometimes pushes his pro-bush message a bit too far.

Without a shadow of a doubt the best talk show on tv is the late show with John Stewart, funny, funny, funny

Originally posted by Duncs
I dont watch Letterman as i prefer Jay Leno but i did watch one the other day whilst waiting for Frasier as it had been delayed but some irrelevant tedious college basketball game or another. I noticed something odd. He is just not funny. Not at all funny his jokes were really pathetic. Does anyone watch this shite and is it just me or is he the talentless buck tooth arse he seemed to be?

just bored and this has to be a new one eh Patrick?

Pimpbot Mar 28th 2004 3:41 am

Originally posted by Patrick
I too prefer Leno, but have on occasions found myself watching Letterm and I really don't see why people think he is funny. Normally I only watch the monologue of Leno and the headlines because he sometimes pushes his pro-bush message a bit too far.

Without a shadow of a doubt the best talk show on tv is the late show with John Stewart, funny, funny, funny
Couldnt agree more. Conan O'Brian is kind of funny. He is on after Leno. He was involved in the early Simpsons episodes as a producer I believe.

nathan barley Mar 28th 2004 3:43 am

Myself and the wife got to sit in on a taping of the Letterman show.
Kate Winslet was on promoting the Life of David Gale. She's hot. And short.

They also force you to clap and whoop at every prompted opportunity, thought I very much doubt Leno is any different.

Letterman also keeps the studio colder than a meatlocker.

Duncs Mar 28th 2004 5:05 am

Originally posted by Patrick

I would love to have cable just to watch John Stewart used to watch his stuff streamed when i had broadband, hilarious.

sibsie Mar 28th 2004 5:45 am

What channel is Stewart on? I'm hating American TV. :(

Gross50 Mar 28th 2004 6:22 am

Originally posted by sibsie

Being neither british nor american, i can say that british programming has a long way to go before it can be accepted round the world. as much as i'm not a fan of american shows, they have influenced most of the world than any other country. US programs are more widely accepted than UK, except for the premier league.

If you are going to talk about british television, stick to football (forget soccer) and BBC News.

Pimpbot Mar 28th 2004 6:33 am

Originally posted by sibsie
Comedy central. I believe its 11pm most regions, although its 12pm here in the mountain time zone. Cannot wait to get back on pacific time next weekend.

weiser Mar 28th 2004 9:37 am

I had to comment on this thread & agree with everyone, I've only managed to watch afew of letterman shows & the guy makes me cringe as not one of his jokes is ever funny. I don't why he hasn't been kicked off, why do they bother to pay someone like him millions when he isn't even a good interviewer & clearly has no idea about who he's interviewing besides what has been written on his cards!!!!

Pimpbot Mar 28th 2004 10:00 am

Letterman and late shows/tonight shows are an American institution. Kinda like Saturday Night Live, which is well past its sell by date, but will probably go on forever on NBC.

If anybody is interested, you should look up the Leno/Letterman fued that started after Leno was offered the tonight show gig ahead of Letterman. Dave was pretty much a shoe in for that job when Johnny Carson retired, having stood in for him on numerous occasions and also due to the fact that Letterman had a very succesfull show that followed the tonight show on NBC. It was a bit of a shock though when Leno, who had often appeared on the tonight show, got the gig. That left Letterman to sign a big money deal with CBS where I believe that he led in the ratings for around the first month it was on the air, but since then has been eating Leno's dust. Letterman and Leno havent spoke to this day, despite being really good friends before hand.

Still, if you want good late show humor, then try and catch a Larry Sanders re run on HBO. Best comedy show ever!

dunroving Mar 28th 2004 10:10 am

Interestingly, in a recent poll, I think that Jon Stewart and Saturday Night Live were listed as major soures of information about politics by young adults in the US. Certainly, both shows are very cutting edge. Jon Stewart is hilarious.

Other cringe-worthy show hosts, IMO:

Larry King (sorry, he's a nice guy, but his line of questioning completely lacks imagination or tact)....

but FAR more cringeworthy is Nancy Grace. She's the legal "expert" who often appears as a panel member on Larry King Live, and has guest hosted Larry King Live on several occasions. She is the most mean-spirited, cheap-mouthed, self-absorbed talk show personality I have seen in a long time. She makes Jerry Springer look tame - at least we all know he's just kidding around, but she is presented as a serious analyst. Nasty woman!

Pimpbot Mar 28th 2004 11:00 am

Is she the one who is often on Kings shows when they do the Scott Peterson case?. I believe she is a former prosecutor?. If its her that you mean, then I 100% agree with you. What a self opinionated women she is, and damn rude also. She butts in all the damn time. Even King called her butting in rude last time I watched the show a week or so ago.

Rumplestiltskin Mar 28th 2004 11:14 am

No doubt about it Letterman is as funny as eating bread.

Jay Leno has very funny monologues (mostly) and I agree that Headlines is the best part of his show... they need to do it every night!!! Really pisses me off when the stop it short then have boring guests to follow it.

Conan O'Brian was a writer for The Simpsons back in the day btw :)

Duncs Mar 28th 2004 12:37 pm

Originally posted by dunroving
Interestingly, in a recent poll, I think that Jon Stewart and Saturday Night Live were listed as major soures of information about politics by young adults in the US. Certainly, both shows are very cutting edge. Jon Stewart is hilarious.

Other cringe-worthy show hosts, IMO:

Larry King (sorry, he's a nice guy, but his line of questioning completely lacks imagination or tact)....

but FAR more cringeworthy is Nancy Grace. She's the legal "expert" who often appears as a panel member on Larry King Live, and has guest hosted Larry King Live on several occasions. She is the most mean-spirited, cheap-mouthed, self-absorbed talk show personality I have seen in a long time. She makes Jerry Springer look tame - at least we all know he's just kidding around, but she is presented as a serious analyst. Nasty woman!
If you want a bitter twisted interviewee no one holds a a candle to Ann Coulter.

So not just me who thinks Letterman is crap then. there some good stuff on tv now and again but i find its all the stuff i liked to watch in blighty Frasier, West wing, CSI etc. A lot of other stuff is cack though. Still gets you reading a book i suppose. The one i really miss is radio 4 NPR is ok but just not up the level of Radio 4. where is the world service by the way?

Patrick Mar 28th 2004 12:49 pm

British television is usually known for quality, where as US TV is McTV, quick and disposable. American tv influencing the world is slightly over the top, they are cheap and exported around the world - whether they are influential is up for debate.

Seeing as most of US tv is based on british shows you have to say that British tv influences the world. If you look at US tv you will see all the originally british tv shows (millionaire, american idol, survivor etc, etc, etc)

Patrick

Originally posted by Gross50
Being neither british nor american, i can say that british programming has a long way to go before it can be accepted round the world. as much as i'm not a fan of american shows, they have influenced most of the world than any other country. US programs are more widely accepted than UK, except for the premier league.

If you are going to talk about british television, stick to football (forget soccer) and BBC News.