Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Seattle

Wikiposts

Let's talk about Seattle

Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:17 am
SBF
Just Joined

SBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud of
Default Let's talk about Seattle

Hello

Hoping to relocate with work to Seattle early next year and really am clueless about the process and the place. I'd most likely be working Downtown, and would prefer not to commute much more than an hour : where would that get me ? (so I can start researching home rentals) We'll have a 3yo and a baby in case that informs any particular areas.

Thanks,

SBF
Seattle-Bound-Family
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about Seattle

Originally Posted by SBF
Hello

Hoping to relocate with work to Seattle early next year and really am clueless about the process and the place. I'd most likely be working Downtown, and would prefer not to commute much more than an hour : where would that get me ? (so I can start researching home rentals) We'll have a 3yo and a baby in case that informs any particular areas.

Thanks,

SBF
Seattle-Bound-Family
Welcome to BE Today is like a bank holiday over here so most will be out & about. I'm sure many will help you out with answer's tomorrow ok.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:26 am
SBF
Just Joined

SBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud ofSBF has much to be proud of

Hello britvic - thanks for the reply and the pointer
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBF
Hoping to relocate with work to Seattle early next year
Have you actually researched as to whether you (or your company) are able to get a visa or not? Until then, all else is moot.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Have you actually researched as to whether you (or your company) are able to get a visa or not? Until then, all else is moot.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558830
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know, I just commented in that thread....
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:52 am
SBF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
As of this week the company are investigating that
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:47 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a family and want to live fairly close to Seattle (like a 20 minute bus ride) I would suggest Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, Greenwood. These are all great family neighborhoods, but they are pricey. Other areas that are further away (north of Seattle) but are still very nice include Shoreline, Mill Creek, Everett. Areas south of Seattle tend to be more affordable: Renton, Burien, Kent. I live in the Ballard area and love it.
Naomi.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seattle-area/

City data forum is excellent for that sorta info
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:59 am
SBF
Just Joined

thanks naomi and cranston

After a discussion today it looks as though I may get chance to to spend 1 or 2 months working there later this year which would be great for looking at the various areas - I wasn't expecting that but it's a bonus.

I'll take a look at that site now.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBF
thanks naomi and cranston

After a discussion today it looks as though I may get chance to to spend 1 or 2 months working there later this year which would be great for looking at the various areas - I wasn't expecting that but it's a bonus.

I'll take a look at that site now.
I know this is not your visa discussion, but word of warning on the 'working' out here for a few months. Make sure you have the right visa for it; the company doesn't always steer you right on that one.

If you look in the Trailer Park forum, there was a huge recent discussion about the SEA area and environs, including some driver's license and other detail stuff.
OP's name is patemaan I think.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:24 am
SBF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I know this is not your visa discussion, but word of warning on the 'working' out here for a few months. Make sure you have the right visa for it; the company doesn't always steer you right on that one.

If you look in the Trailer Park forum, there was a huge recent discussion about the SEA area and environs, including some driver's license and other detail stuff.
OP's name is patemaan I think.
Cheers I'll go and have a read in the TP.

Yeah the arrangements re working are the one area that does seem to be pretty much under control - turns out our guy over there has been through it all before and talked me through it all earlier today