Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Lengths People Will Do to Buy Things...

The Lengths People Will Do to Buy Things...

Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Lengths People Will Do to Buy Things...

I drove past a Circuit City near where I live yesterday (November 15th) and I saw two tents camped outside. It took a moment before I realized what this was for. They must be taking their place in the line for the new PS3.

It's bad enough seeing Krzyzewskiville on the Duke Campus...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lengths People Will Do to Buy Things...

My wife came home from target yesterday and tried to tell me people were camping out for 'Black Friaday' and was convinced this was the truth. Until she called me today at work today and said "Umm, maybe those people were camping out for the PS3."
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

There were people camping outside Target, Walmart and Sams Club this afternoon when I went shopping.

Some of the lucky ones will effectively be getting paid for their time when they put the consoles straight on to ebay and make considerably more than they paid
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I drove past a Circuit City near where I live yesterday (November 15th) and I saw two tents camped outside. It took a moment before I realized what this was for. They must be taking their place in the line for the new PS3.

NC Penguin

It was on the news today...people have been camped out in NYC for 4 days. More recently a second line has started...now they're arguing who was first. There are only 400 Playstations and there are over 2000 people waiting outside. Apparently they are selling on EBay for $3000+.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:21 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
There were people camping outside Target, Walmart and Sams Club this afternoon when I went shopping.

Some of the lucky ones will effectively be getting paid for their time when they put the consoles straight on to ebay and make considerably more than they paid
I wouldn't be surprised if Ray was one such person getting paid to queue...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

heard the stink in japan about business men paying homeless people to queue up for $90, and then flog 'em on ebay for a fortune..
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:03 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be surprised if Ray was one such person getting paid to queue... NC Penguin
You really think I am that cheap ... I would send Sanchez ...........
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:49 am
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold

I run the overnight team at the local Target, I went outside for a cig at 6am Tuesday morning and we had 2 tents that had sprung up overnight. They have since been removed from the front doors and a small comumune has developed over the road. This, appearantly, is because when the xbox360 was launched, they was similar queueing, with an elderly gentleman at the front of the queue in a wheelchair. After 1 1/2days he fell asleep, and awoke to find he had been wheeled to the back of the queue and so missed out on one.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:11 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I did wonder why there were so many people hanging around outside the Mall last night ....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:36 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny isn't it how it's all changed.

This has got NOTHING to do with the PS3 which in my view is agreat piece of technology but way over priced.

This is ALL to do with people trying to make a quick buck by flipping them on EBAY for 200-500% profit.. Good luck to them I say but luckily my son thinks the Nintendo WII is better for him. It's half the price and there's 4 million coming out before Christmas. Just my local best Buy store will have over 300 coming in this weekend, versus the PS3 where they will have only about 10!!!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Sucked for these guys though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...221525,00.html
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:37 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Same thing with the Xbox. Won't suprise me if you see stories of people getting car jacked after getting their PS3.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:46 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

25 kids outside of my local Target last night at 7:00. My wife wanted to get two to sell, but it looks like Sony cut production yet again.

In other news, analysts estimate that Sony loses at least $200 on each console it sells. Microsoft apparently had a similar loss leader strategy with the original XBox, not sure about the 360.

Edit:
Here's a more detailed study.

Apparently, it's closer to $300.

Last edited by Hiro11; Nov 17th 2006 at 1:49 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
It's funny isn't it how it's all changed.

This has got NOTHING to do with the PS3 which in my view is agreat piece of technology but way over priced.

This is ALL to do with people trying to make a quick buck by flipping them on EBAY for 200-500% profit.. Good luck to them I say but luckily my son thinks the Nintendo WII is better for him. It's half the price and there's 4 million coming out before Christmas. Just my local best Buy store will have over 300 coming in this weekend, versus the PS3 where they will have only about 10!!!
Viva the capitalist economy!!!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

NC Penguin

i was gob smacked when i saw folk camping outside harrods in london a few years ago.....it aint just this lot that are off their rocker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.