Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lemsip Alternatives

Lemsip Alternatives

Old Dec 11th 2004, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Lemsip Alternatives

Have managed to pick up a wonderful cold after my 4th week at work!

Sent hubby out last night to try and find me some blackcurrant lemsips..the only thing that works for me and of course, we don't have them out here.

Does anyone know of anything similar, hot drink with paracetamol in. If push comes to shove I'll send him to the international section of Wegemans for a $10 bottle of ribena and a packet of tylenol, but hoping there's something that he missed at the store last night.

Also, do Americans drink cordial?? I'm thinking if there is anything cheaper than the $10 bottle of ribena.

Snuffly and sore throated Lottie.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lemsip Alternatives

You get Ribena?

Haven't seen any cordials around to be honest, do miss them, so much better than the powered kack...hmmm...haven't seen any lemsip replacements either...just crush up some drugs into lemom juice and honey heated?
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie

Sent hubby out last night to try and find me some blackcurrant lemsips..the only thing that works for me and of course, we don't have them out here.

Does anyone know of anything similar, hot drink with paracetamol in. If push comes to shove I'll send him to the international section of Wegemans for a $10 bottle of ribena and a packet of tylenol, but hoping there's something that he missed at the store last night.

Also, do Americans drink cordial?? I'm thinking if there is anything cheaper than the $10 bottle of ribena.

For immediate relief of a sore throat, try gargling with salt and water, as often as you can.

For future sore throats, can somebody back in the UK send you a bottle of TCP? There is nothing as effective like TCP in the US.

Ginger has good benefits for fighting cold so if you're partial to ginger, find some sugar coated ginger (maybe your local grocery store might have them. "Amy's" brand makes them. Alternatively, head to your local healthfood store or Chinese/Asian grocery store).

You can suck the ginger or put half a tsp of them into hot water and drink and eat the contents.

One last tip I've learnt from American coworkers. Spray disinfecting Lysol around your house (esp. bedroom) to eliminate germs, esp. doorhandles.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:23 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Try Theraflu - it's pretty similar to Lemsip.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

OK, I think with salt & water, hot lemon & honey, ginger (sounds nice) and thera-flu I may just survive the weekend!

NC Penguin, thanks for the lysol tip.

Bob, yes we do have ribena and I've even seen some robinsons orange cordial too...still stupidly priced though.

Elfman..I'm sending hubby out right now to track down some theraflu!

Still snuffly and sore-throated Lottie
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For future sore throats, can somebody back in the UK send you a bottle of TCP? There is nothing as effective like TCP in the US.
Ain't that the truth, nothing brings tears to your eyes after a cut quicker
Kids don't know how good they have if over here... *lol*

Oh, good thing to get, but hard to, an Ioniser...there so expensive over here, I brought mine over from blighty...very handy....
Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob, yes we do have ribena and I've even seen some robinsons orange cordial too...still stupidly priced though.
Lucky to find it...to expensive to mail order, weight and all, such a shame...do like it, well I liked the cheap tesco's stuff myself
surprised that they don't have it here...oh well
Old Dec 11th 2004, 3:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For a cold...a third of a bottle of Courvoisier over a 24 hour period....
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...Does anyone know of anything similar, hot drink with paracetamol in. If push comes to shove I'll send him to the international section of Wegemans for a $10 bottle of ribena and a packet of tylenol, but hoping there's something that he missed at the store last night...
Yup, Theraflu's your only real option... and it tastes VILE. No, really, I mean DISGUSTING

By the way, major tip here: Paracetamol is known as Acetaminophen here in the US. It's the exact same stuff, and you'll find it in most 'flu treatments.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000
By the way, major tip here: Paracetamol is known as Acetaminophen here in the US...
Thought it was...don't know why it's a different name though...
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Thought it was...don't know why it's a different name though...
The aceto.... is the proper name for the active ingrediant, I think.

Cut up half a lemon, soak it in boiling water, add some honey to taste and take with the paracetamol.

Add a shot of whiskey and a dash of cinnamon if you really want to be warm and sleep.

The lemon and honey mixture is strong and really comforting plus you know exactly how much paracetamol you have taken.