British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lemonade in NC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lemonade-nc-758919/)

frambuesas May 20th 2012 8:30 pm

Lemonade in NC

Hi all! I have a query. Is there a place in North Carolina, preferably near Charlotte, that stocks Schweppes lemonade or similar? Lemonade here is flat and often made with actual lemons, but is not very good for Pimm's or shandy. We're having a Jubilee party here in a couple of weeks and I really want to make proper Pimm's for my American friends!

Thanks! :D

Weeze May 20th 2012 8:47 pm

Re: Lemonade in NC

I just use 7up or Sierra mist

frambuesas May 20th 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10072658)
I just use 7up or Sierra mist

7Up is too limey. Not tried Sierra Mist though. Is that just lemonade?

GeoffM May 20th 2012 9:23 pm

Sprite?

frambuesas May 20th 2012 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10072708)
Sprite?

Sprite is also lemon and lime. I've tried it in shandy. It's... No, it's just not quite right! Even the diet stuff is not quite right.

frambuesas May 20th 2012 9:31 pm

Just checked, Sierra Mist is lemon and lime too.

A friend suggested a Sodastream, but I can't find any lemonade syrup to go with it (their website says it's not out until June - slightly too late for the party!).

Was hoping World Market would stock it. Going to check next week.

Duncan Roberts May 20th 2012 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 10072722)
A friend suggested a Sodastream, but I can't find any lemonade syrup to go with it

You know that all a soda stream does is carbonate whatever liquid is used with it? If the only issue is that US lemonade is flat, an idea should be popping into your head right about now.

GeoffM May 20th 2012 10:08 pm

Soda water with lemon juice? I'm sure I've seen plain lemonade of the sparkling variety - but I'm on the opposite coast to you so the supermarkets are probably completely different!

frambuesas May 20th 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 10072750)
You know that all a soda stream does is carbonate whatever liquid is used with it? If the only issue is that US lemonade is flat, an idea should be popping into your head right about now.

It's also too lemony. Also, if you've ever tried carbonating any other liquid than water, you'll know it doesn't always end well! Tried with OJ and Pinot Grigio before. Neither ended well. :)

frambuesas May 20th 2012 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10072779)
Soda water with lemon juice? I'm sure I've seen plain lemonade of the sparkling variety - but I'm on the opposite coast to you so the supermarkets are probably completely different!

I tried that one too - a bit too salty. I guess I just want a genuine taste, but perhaps diet Sprite is the easiest compromise.

frambuesas May 20th 2012 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10072779)

I wish we had some sparkling lemonade! The only stuff I've found is Italian lemonade, and that's really rather like UK "traditional" or cloudy lemonade.

100weight May 21st 2012 2:39 am

There is a South African food store in Charlotte, which has Schweppes Dry Lemon on their website, on the "Cool drinks and chips for Africa" page. Am I allowed to post a link??

CWT

frambuesas May 21st 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by 100weight (Post 10073051)
There is a South African food store in Charlotte, which has Schweppes Dry Lemon on their website, on the "Cool drinks and chips for Africa" page. Am I allowed to post a link??

CWT

Please do! Not sure if it's okay to post a link on the thread, but please feel free to PM it to me!

100weight May 21st 2012 5:58 am

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 10073117)
Please do! Not sure if it's okay to post a link on the thread, but please feel free to PM it to me!

PM sent. Good luck.
CWT

Bob May 21st 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by frambuesas (Post 10072792)
It's also too lemony. Also, if you've ever tried carbonating any other liquid than water, you'll know it doesn't always end well! Tried with OJ and Pinot Grigio before. Neither ended well. :)

It does work, you've just got to carbonate smaller amounts and not blast as much gas into it.

Trader Joes has sparkling lemon juice.

frambuesas May 21st 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10073744)
It does work, you've just got to carbonate smaller amounts and not blast as much gas into it.

Trader Joes has sparkling lemon juice.

I'll try TJs. Thanks!

frambuesas May 21st 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by 100weight (Post 10073217)
PM sent. Good luck.
CWT

Thank you!

Mr Weeze May 21st 2012 3:10 pm

Have you tried a lemon flavoured sparkling water? You can then add a squeeze/slice of lemon until it tastes right?

frambuesas May 21st 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10073944)
Have you tried a lemon flavoured sparkling water? You can then add a squeeze/slice of lemon until it tastes right?

I have. It's a bit too salty to work for Pimm's. Apparently San Pellegrino do a sweeter one though, so that might be another option.

Chaunticleer May 22nd 2012 1:12 pm

You could make your own lemon syrup . . . two parts sugar to one part lemon juice, then boil. Best to use fresh lemons. Then you can combine it with sparkling water or a soda stream. Though the end result might not be as carbonated as you'd like, especially if you use sparkling water.