British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   legality I think (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/legality-i-think-386947/)

LuTziE Jul 26th 2006 8:47 am

legality I think

I got a letter from the usis stating I was now legal!
Hvae to go get 3 pics taken that look like the ones on my temp greencard, and then visit the local visa office (portland,me).
I am hoping to travel back to the UK for a visit on October and wondered if anyone knew how long it took to actually get a real greencard and if I need to get a USA passport or if my UK one will suffice.
My dad called me and asked if he could still insure me using my british drivers license, I have no clue.

Anyone know the answers?
Greatly appreciated (well appreciated anyway, not sure about greatly)

TA

Ray Jul 26th 2006 12:20 pm

Re: legality I think

Originally Posted by LuTziE
Hvae to go get 3 pics taken that look like the ones on my temp greencard, and then visit the local visa office (portland,me).
I am hoping to travel back to the UK for a visit on October and wondered if anyone knew how long it took to actually get a real greencard and if I need to get a USA passport or if my UK one will suffice.
My dad called me and asked if he could still insure me using my british drivers license, I have no clue.
Anyone know the answers?
Greatly appreciated (well appreciated anyway, not sure about greatly)
TA

Make sure the pics are the new facing forward type ..
not the old showing the side ear ones

GC should arrive in about a month..but could be more or less
You cannot get a US passport..you need citizenship for that
Use your UK one.
UK DL can be used ... although the insurance company may
well not agree as you do not live there ...

Yorkieabroad Jul 26th 2006 1:42 pm

On the car insurance, we bought a car when we were back in the UK for a few months last year - quite a few insurance companies wouldn't touch us as we were non-resident, and they specifically asked the question whether we were or not. We ended up with Norwich Union Direct, so may be worth checking them out.

If you're just been added on as a driver on someone elses policy it may not be an issue - we've been on my brother in laws policies for th elast 8 years or so and never been a problem. Never had to claim on them mind you.....

Philgr Jul 26th 2006 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
On the car insurance, we bought a car when we were back in the UK for a few months last year - quite a few insurance companies wouldn't touch us as we were non-resident, and they specifically asked the question whether we were or not. .....

Did you happen to ask them what their definition of resident was? What criteria would they use to determine this? If you were back for a few months and staying in one location why do they say that is not resident? Anyone know?

Manc Jul 26th 2006 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by LuTziE

get an I-551 stamp in your passport when you take in the pictures.........
you will be good to go as they say

Bob Jul 26th 2006 4:25 pm

Hey nice one :)

Well the greencard, a few weeks at the most probably...portland office ain't that far from you, so if your temp stamp is out, get them to do another one with an info pass...small office and all that, there pretty helpful, surprisingly...

Yorkieabroad Jul 26th 2006 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Philgr
Did you happen to ask them what their definition of resident was? What criteria would they use to determine this? If you were back for a few months and staying in one location why do they say that is not resident? Anyone know?

I didn't want to describe myself as resident in any way shape or form - I couldn't risk the inland revenue getting wind of it! ;)