Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Legal Question Regarding Wills

Legal Question Regarding Wills

Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:37 pm
warksgirl

Default Legal Question Regarding Wills

I don't know if this topic has been addressed before, so my apologies if I'm duplicating...

Are UK wills legal and recognised in the US?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:16 am
Franklin

Default Re: Legal Question Regarding Wills

Originally Posted by warksgirl
I don't know if this topic has been addressed before, so my apologies if I'm duplicating...

Are UK wills legal and recognised in the US?
Go talk to a family lawyer, one that deals routinely with wills. That said ...

... a will often states which laws will apply to interpret/probate the will. Each state in the USA has its own state laws that govern wills. It is highly unlikely a will executed in, e.g., England would state that the law that should be applied is Texas state law!

For example, one state might recognize codicils, another not. Specifically, the law that applies is state law (unless there is a Federal issue, e.g. diversity), so when you say "US", which state do you mean? It's not Federal per se! But like I said, go talk to a lawyer that specializes in wills.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Nov 9th 2004 at 3:18 am.

Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have assets and obligations and you want the Will adjudicated in the US, then you need a US format. Somewhat different to a UK format.

Software is the cheapest option assuming your needs are straightforward. Willmaker etc. They had some deals on Amazon.

Now if you live in Louisana all bets are off, from what I can gather they have a pseudo Renaissance French system with some twists.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I am advised by my legal firm of Flywheel, Shyster & Flywheel that it would make your will easier if you leave the gold pianos, fine wines, rare paintings and the millions to one person. So name DOC SCRUMPY to get the lot and that is it
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Marmitemaniac is an unknown quantity at this point

Our wasn't in California. We made a new one anyway, as so much had changed in our lives.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:49 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

I personally would never recognise anyone called Wills
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:29 pm
warksgirl

Thanks for the advice.

We're planning to make an appointment with our lawyer; I'm just embarrassed at how long it's taken us to get around to doing so. It's also good to talk to people who have similar issues and considerations.

gold pianos, fine wines, rare paintings and the millions to one person. So name DOC SCRUMPY to get the lot and that is it
If I had such possessions, I'd certainly bear you in mind, Doc. I'm afraid there are no fine wines in this house. If you're interested in some plonk, then we can talk!!!!

Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:41 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by warksgirl
Thanks for the advice.

We're planning to make an appointment with our lawyer; I'm just embarrassed at how long it's taken us to get around to doing so. It's also good to talk to people who have similar issues and considerations.

If I had such possessions, I'd certainly bear you in mind, Doc. I'm afraid there are no fine wines in this house. If you're interested in some plonk, then we can talk!!!!
Just leave me the residuary. That way if you forget to assign your "Van Goghs" ... *LOL*