Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Legal custody of child

Legal custody of child

Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Question Legal custody of child

Well, I have a headache now. LOL

I'm trying to find out how my US citizen boyfriend can get legal custody (together with me) over my daughter under US law. I know how to do this under our (Netherlands) law, but will the US acknowledge this?
He'd be named as the father on her birth certificate, and have all rights that any parents has over their child.

I've tried finding info on the 'net but all it comes up with is sites and sites full of information for people battling over custody... nothing the other way around.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking other than the question before, but any input is welcome.

Just want to add that the custody deal is not for immigration purposes, it's something we've been wanting to do even before we decided on the US as our family's future homeland.

Thanks for any help.

Elaine
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:23 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

First and formost.... Why is the child not going to be with it's mother?

Just so I'm understanding this straight... does the nother want to keep the child? (same question, but you know what I mean)
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, no, I'm the mother! Sorry for not making that clear. She's staying with me alright, she ain't going nowhere!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:38 pm

Originally posted by HunterGreen
Ooh, no, I'm the mother! Sorry for not making that clear. She's staying with me alright, she ain't going nowhere!

Just making sure.... Sorry!

No doubt you'll know exactly where I was coming from on that!

In Connecticut there is a Family Resource called InfoLine. I don't know if that is available for other states, but they should have a web site I'd imagine and you could try starting there and pick their brains a little!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Just making sure.... Sorry!
No problem

No doubt you'll know exactly where I was coming from on that!
Actually, no I don't... I think I'm having a blonde day... where were you coming from?

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. In case it would matter, we'd be moving to Ohio.

Last edited by HunterGreen; Oct 27th 2003 at 1:43 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:20 pm

No problem

Actually, no I don't... I think I'm having a blonde day... where were you coming from?

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. In case it would matter, we'd be moving to Ohio.

Just watching out that a Mum wasn't about to lose her child! It does happen.

Lemme see what links I can find you for information on adoption.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:21 pm

What state are you in?

Adoption Law and free Advice...click here

Last edited by BrigieDarling; Oct 27th 2003 at 2:25 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just watching out that a Mum wasn't about to lose her child! It does happen.
Ah yes, I should have known... lol. I'm happy to say nobody's losing anything, and this procedure is 150% legal over here. I just want to make sure it's also accepted/acknowledged in the US, because if it is, it basically means he doesn't have to adopt her after we're married.
We'd be moving to Ohio.
I'll check out that link you mentioned!
Thanks again, Brigie.

Elaine
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BrigieDarling - I checked out the link and it's one I already came across... The InfoLine you mentioned is the 211 number, right? The several websites I found about this only explained how it works, but I'd have to actually call them to get the info (and I can't do it from here). Thanks anyway though, especially for taking the time to try and help!

Any info is still welcomed. That, or another box of Tylenol.

Elaine
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:42 pm

BrigieDarling - I checked out the link and it's one I already came across... The InfoLine you mentioned is the 211 number, right? The several websites I found about this only explained how it works, but I'd have to actually call them to get the info (and I can't do it from here). Thanks anyway though, especially for taking the time to try and help!

Any info is still welcomed. That, or another box of Tylenol.

Elaine

Yes, I think that's the one.... I see comercials for it on Sunday mornings now and then!

I'm sure it wont be a big ordeal.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure it wont be a big ordeal.
Nah, I doubt it. I just like to have my ducks in a row...
Also wondering if we do this, if it will interfere with the immigration process... That's also why I'd like to find out the US law take on this. I might just find a family lawyer over there and consult them, although they probably know nothing about immigration law... I need advice in two different countries on two different kinds of law . Did I mention I'm a perfectionist?

Elaine
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:21 pm

I'm a tad like that myself... so make no apologies for it!

Good idea to be for-informed.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hate doing this, but... *bump*
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:52 pm

I hate doing this, but... *bump*
"What, did I fall asleep again?"

Where was I?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Brigie... huh? lol

Just bumped it up trying to see if someone else would like to venture a guess... but I guess not. *leaves the board for good whining about unhelpful people* Aww man that felt good! I've always wanted to act childish like that on a public forum! Not that I meant it.

Elaine <--- too sleepy still for 9:30 in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.