British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Leaving USA - Unofficially (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/leaving-usa-unofficially-197063/)

JeanDupont Dec 16th 2003 3:36 am

Leaving USA - Unofficially

On another forum of which I am a member - another member has posted that he entered USA illegally some years ago and has "successfully" lived here since then without being detected. He thinks there is no record of his entry and wants to regularize his immigration by reason of close family member ties he now has in USA.
He does not want to get a bar for his long overstay and wants to know if there is a good place to leave US territory "informally" without passing through US immigration.
Unfortunately I have no idea about this - does anyone here know of the best place to leave in this way?
Does it make a difference? How will immigration pick up on him if he just gets a flight out? I don't remember ever having to do more than show my ID at the airline check-in on the way out of US.

gibbsrr Dec 16th 2003 4:09 am

Leaving U.S is not so hard, they are glad to be rid of you. I did it in July, when they asked for my card I said I was a dual citizen and they wanted no further info. Do not rely on this though because the exact opposite occured when I tried to return (understandably). If you plan to leave permanantly they will let you go; if you plan to come back to US. be prepared to explain why/how you left and have a visa or you will fail. If you have traveled post 9/11 they will ask how you came to the U.S.

Pulaski Dec 16th 2003 4:55 am

Re: Leaving USA - Unofficially

Originally posted by JeanDupont .... wants to regularize his immigration by reason of close family member ties he now has in USA. .....
If he is prepared to regularize his "close family ties" by marriage then his overstay can, so I hear, be forgiven, so long as he stay in the US until his visa is approved. Otherwise, in the world on US visas "close family ties" count for nothing and he is left with a choice of my usual "list of six (seven)".

In case he thinks otherwise having a US citizen child counts for nothing when it comes to visa, at least until the child is twenty-one and can then sponsor his/her parents for a green card.

g1ant Dec 16th 2003 11:25 am

Originally posted by JeanDupont
He does not want to get a bar for his long overstay and wants to know if there is a good place to leave US territory "informally" without passing through US immigration.
He can walk over the border from San Diego to Tijuana without having to show anything to anyone.

Alex.

Poshpaws Dec 16th 2003 4:57 pm

I see something more disturbing here, than his most current plight.

He made a mockery of all that came to the US, via the correct mehods. So now, he wants out with 'no hand slapping' ?

Sounds like a politician to me, one rule the 'them' and one rule for 'us'.

Ash UK/US Dec 16th 2003 6:16 pm

Originally posted by JeanDupont
Does it make a difference? How will immigration pick up on him if he just gets a flight out? I don't remember ever having to do more than show my ID at the airline check-in on the way out of US.
On my last trip back to England (Sept) I flew with United & BMI, United being the domestic flight. Anyhow when I checked in I was asked for my I-94, I explained I was a permanent resident and did not have one I showed him my stamp in my passport he asked if I had got my green card yet (which I did) and he asked to see that too before he would check me in on the flight.

Ash
:)

JeanDupont Dec 17th 2003 4:30 am

G1ant - and everyone- thanks for your input. I don't condone illegals but at least this guy is going to try to make a fresh start and do it right.

Manc Dec 18th 2003 3:06 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
On my last trip back to England (Sept) I flew with United & BMI, United being the domestic flight. Anyhow when I checked in I was asked for my I-94, I explained I was a permanent resident and did not have one I showed him my stamp in my passport he asked if I had got my green card yet (which I did) and he asked to see that too before he would check me in on the flight.

Ash
:)
Ash I just took me stepdaughter to UK out of Traverse City and Wayne Co. As she is my stepdaughter with different last name I thought we were in for a right ballache getting her out of the country with a foreigner.

No probs.......Northwest Airlines for you I guess. The only time I was asked where her mother was, was at Manchester airport.