Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the US

Leaving the US

Old Jun 28th 2018, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving the US

Has anyone any experience of leaving the US.

Through matters out of our control we have been told we will have to leave by the end of the year.

I'm curious to know what we need to do to leave. Tax, SS, Immigration etc

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2018, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving the US

Tax, I think there is a moving costs you can claim

SSN you may have accrued benefits?

Immigration, if you are LPR's and abandoning your status then the form is I 407
Old Jun 28th 2018, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

SSN you may have accrued benefits?

Immigration, if you are LPR's and abandoning your status then the form is I 407
Ok thanks I am here on an L1B with L2 spouse. apart from the obvious utilities close out I am interested to know what else I have to do on leaving. I407 will sort the immigration status element( thanks for that).

SSN - so possibly a rebate on that?
Tax - presume you mean to puton 2018 tax return?
Old Jun 28th 2018, 11:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that things have not panned out with your interoffice transfer and that you are being relocated back to the UK. I do hope that you and your wife have enjoyed your time in Montana.

Since you have only been here for a little over a year and one half, you have not accumulated benefits under social security. I'm not sure if you can claim back any of those monies you, personally, paid into social security during that time. You will have to pay US income taxes, both federal and state and city, if applicable.

If you are a legal permanent resident with a green card (as you responded to Boiler) than why do you need to leave by the end of the year? Hopefully someone here can advise on whether you need to file taxes before you leave or if you can wait and file between January and April 15, 2019 for the year 2018.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm sorry that things have not panned out with your interoffice transfer and that you are being relocated back to the UK. I do hope that you and your wife have enjoyed your time in Montana.

Since you have only been here for a little over a year and one half, you have not accumulated benefits under social security. I'm not sure if you can claim back any of those monies you, personally, paid into social security during that time. You will have to pay US income taxes, both federal and state and city, if applicable.

If you are a legal permanent resident with a green card (as you responded to Boiler) than why do you need to leave by the end of the year? Hopefully someone here can advise on whether you need to file taxes before you leave or if you can wait and file between January and April 15, 2019 for the year 2018.
Yeah unfortunately we have been caught up in a company acquisition and due to my staus as L1B I cannot work for the new company in Montana, certainly not our choice to be moving on. The company have been very good to us and we will be re-location to Canada (we did have the option to return home).

We are not LPR's as we have no green cards, we are in a transition faze at the moment and are allowed to stay state side for 6 months hence the end of the year,
Old Jun 29th 2018, 12:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Then there is nothing for you to file with USCIS that I'm aware of your. Status will end the moment you stop working. There is no green card to give back so you don't need to file an I-407. I asked if you were LPR's because with a green card you can work for anyone in the US. Are you sure about having six months to pack up and leave after the LB1 is ended?
Old Jun 29th 2018, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Then there is nothing for you to file with USCIS that I'm aware of your. Status will end the moment you stop working. There is no green card to give back so you don't need to file an I-407. I asked if you were LPR's because with a green card you can work for anyone in the US. Are you sure about having six months to pack up and leave after the LB1 is ended?
OK thanks for that, my job role was changed as part of the company acquisition to accommodate the transition of companies. Officially I still work for company A but I am based at company B site to assist in the transfer. This can only be for up to 6 months and this is where the time frame comes from.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Thanks to tax "reform" that is no longer the case from this tax year onwards.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
OK thanks for that, my job role was changed as part of the company acquisition to accommodate the transition of companies. Officially I still work for company A but I am based at company B site to assist in the transfer. This can only be for up to 6 months and this is where the time frame comes from.
Just checking, but what visa are you moving on to Canada? If it's an intra-company transfer work permit, then you'll need to show that it's the same company in Canada that you've already worked for for a year - not sure how the Company A/B scenario fits in to that, but just something to make sure is ok.

Best of luck with the move, see you in the Canada forums!
Old Jun 30th 2018, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking, but what visa are you moving on to Canada? If it's an intra-company transfer work permit, then you'll need to show that it's the same company in Canada that you've already worked for for a year - not sure how the Company A/B scenario fits in to that, but just something to make sure is ok.

Best of luck with the move, see you in the Canada forums!
We are moving on intra company visa, I have worked for the company for three years. Two in England and one in USA. Currently working for the same company and will continue in Canada.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 7:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving on intra company visa, I have worked for the company for three years. Two in England and one in USA. Currently working for the same company and will continue in Canada.
Ah, ok, so it won't be a new company then, that's good. In case you've not found it yet, this Wiki article may be useful reading - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

If you think you may want to stay longer term in Canada (or just to avoid the same thing happening again, so that you're not at the mercy of your employer!) then do check in to your options for applying for PR as well before you go.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok, so it won't be a new company then, that's good. In case you've not found it yet, this Wiki article may be useful reading - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

If you think you may want to stay longer term in Canada (or just to avoid the same thing happening again, so that you're not at the mercy of your employer!) then do check in to your options for applying for PR as well before you go.

Best of luck.
No not a new company, just a different facility in Canada. Yes I had seen the article but thanks anyway the wiki stuff is a great source of information.
No idea of timeline at the moment, look where planning ahead got me last time ha ha

Appreciate your post though thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No not a new company, just a different facility in Canada. Yes I had seen the article but thanks anyway the wiki stuff is a great source of information.
No idea of timeline at the moment, look where planning ahead got me last time ha ha

Appreciate your post though thanks

Very sorry to hear that your move to Montana did not work out for you (through no fault of your own). I remember your earlier postings and you were having to think very carefully about the Montana offer.
Glad that your (new) company could offer you a position in Canada. Please keep us informed as to how it pans out.

Good luck in the future.