Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK for USA

Leaving UK for USA

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK for USA

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you can keep a vehicle between the kerb and the center line, and know what to do at a red light and a STOP sign, then you're more than well enough prepared for a US driving test. Take it seriously, but so long as you can focus on driving for about ten minutes, then the driving test won't be a problem for you
The biggie thing my US family drilled into me was coming to a complete stop at a stop sign - waiting for the car to roll slightly. That's about it.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

If you can keep a vehicle between the kerb and the center line, and know what to do at a red light and a STOP sign, then you're more than well enough prepared for a US driving test. Take it seriously, but so long as you can focus on driving for about ten minutes, then the driving test won't be a problem for you
Ok got it. I might need to brush up on US road signs but I guess that's no big deal.

A driving test in Manhattan might be odd, traffic hardly moves
Old Apr 29th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Well a quick update to say we've made it

Travelled with 4 large suitcases and 2 small carry-ons.

All stuff arrived, nothing lost or broken. Also our cat is here, no problem. Although picking up from JFK cargo area without a car was no fun at all.

Got two shipping boxes in UK to come out in a few weeks once we've found an apartment.

Meanwhile we're staying in an airbnb and will apply for SSN ASAP. Seems that may be required to secure apartments we like.

Of course we'll have no credit history initially, hoping this won't be too much of a setback getting started.

I'm sure in 6m or a year we'll be in a good situation, for now if we can get over hurdle of securing a place and building credit history, we'll be all good.

Enjoying it so far, actually it almost hasn't sunk in yet...
Old Apr 30th 2017, 12:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Ok got it. I might need to brush up on US road signs but I guess that's no big deal.

A driving test in Manhattan might be odd, traffic hardly moves
I got my first US license in Manhattan. You don't need to drive much for a US test. Just around the block a couple of times at 25mph really.

Are you on the island or in one of the other boroughs?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I got my first US license in Manhattan. You don't need to drive much for a US test. Just around the block a couple of times at 25mph really.

Are you on the island or in one of the other boroughs?
Likely we'll be living in Brooklyn to start with (really like it) although working in Manhattan so will be there a lot too.
Old May 1st 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Well a quick update to say we've made it

Travelled with 4 large suitcases and 2 small carry-ons.

All stuff arrived, nothing lost or broken. Also our cat is here, no problem. Although picking up from JFK cargo area without a car was no fun at all.

Got two shipping boxes in UK to come out in a few weeks once we've found an apartment.

Meanwhile we're staying in an airbnb and will apply for SSN ASAP. Seems that may be required to secure apartments we like.

Of course we'll have no credit history initially, hoping this won't be too much of a setback getting started.

I'm sure in 6m or a year we'll be in a good situation, for now if we can get over hurdle of securing a place and building credit history, we'll be all good.

Enjoying it so far, actually it almost hasn't sunk in yet...

Sounds like you had a very similar experience to me. My fiancee moved to manhattan at the end of January and I followed 2 months later with a few suitcases of our stuff.

Then I had to go back to the UK for 3 days to hand back the keys to our temporary flat and pick up the remainder of our possesions, 3 large suitcases of clothes and sentimental household ornaments.

It has been nearly an 8 month process for us, so landing at JFK for the final time with the last of our things to bring over and knowing we'd made it finally was a wonderful feeling.

It helped that BA had upgraded me from economy to business on the return to the US! I'd never flown anything other than cattle class before and I made full use of the facilities/malbec on that final journey back.
Old May 4th 2017, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
Sounds like you had a very similar experience to me. My fiancee moved to manhattan at the end of January and I followed 2 months later with a few suitcases of our stuff.

Then I had to go back to the UK for 3 days to hand back the keys to our temporary flat and pick up the remainder of our possesions, 3 large suitcases of clothes and sentimental household ornaments.

It has been nearly an 8 month process for us, so landing at JFK for the final time with the last of our things to bring over and knowing we'd made it finally was a wonderful feeling.

It helped that BA had upgraded me from economy to business on the return to the US! I'd never flown anything other than cattle class before and I made full use of the facilities/malbec on that final journey back.
Glad to hear it has worked out for you too 🙂

From application to move we made it in about 4months, but I came out after 3 to get started working.

Busy times, especially with a 3 bed semi full of stuff to sort out.

Think it will all have been worth it though, definitely enjoying it so far.

Also update to say we found and are accepted on our first rental too 😄
Old May 4th 2017, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you arrive using your E-2, then technically you have probably "arrived", but IMO it is unlikely anyone would ever notice, and if you don't rent a home, and then leave a week later, I wouldn't worry, but would treat the 30 days as starting when you arrive "permanently".
So I've found out you get 1yr in NYC on an international driving permit, which I got just before heading out fromUK, just in case...

So in the year I'll sit the US NY test to get a NY driving license. I'll start out on my UK/international for any rentals and also apply for non-driving NYC driving license which apparently acts as a photo ID. (Non-driving driving license, hah WTF).

One thing, I have to surrender my UK license on getting a US one? If so, what happens when I come back to UK? We'll be back often even while we're living in the US and had assumed UK license would just be picked back up.

Not the case? ☚ī¸
Old May 4th 2017, 7:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So I've found out you get 1yr in NYC on an international driving permit, which I got just before heading out fromUK, just in case...

So in the year I'll sit the US NY test to get a NY driving license. I'll start out on my UK/international for any rentals and also apply for non-driving NYC driving license which apparently acts as a photo ID. (Non-driving driving license, hah WTF).

One thing, I have to surrender my UK license on getting a US one? If so, what happens when I come back to UK? We'll be back often even while we're living in the US and had assumed UK license would just be picked back up.

Not the case? ☚ī¸
No, no, no!

You get 30 days on your UK licence/ to get an NY license once you have "taken up residence" in NY. The consequences can be ugly if you get in a wreck as only then will the police examine your licence situation, and you face having "driving without a valid license" added to any other charges you face, and without a valid license your insurance is void too! Which means another charge and also massive personal liability.

The one year on a non-US license (an IDP isn't necessary if you have a UK licence as the IDP just translates your UK licence) is only for visitors and those on certain temporary visas, such as F-1 students and J-1 cultural exchange visas.

I took my test in NY and the examiner didn't take, or even ask for, my UK licence, but even if he does, and you return to the UK you can easily apply for your UK licence to he reissued. Your UK licence is pretty much useless (not valid if you have set up home in the US) and you should use your US license when driving in the UK anyway, not least because the police/ courts in the UK can't add points to it!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 4th 2017 at 7:24 pm.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Not the case? ☚ī¸
No, it doesn't work that way. An international license is useless. You now live in NY and need a proper NYS license. You can drive in the UK on a US license.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see.

Right ok, I'd better apply for the test then.

Guess I'm starting from scratch, theory and all.

On the plus side the actual driving should really be no issue, 'stick' is fine too.

Brushing up on road signs and rules probably the main part for me.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I see.

Right ok, I'd better apply for the test then.

Guess I'm starting from scratch, theory and all.

On the plus side the actual driving should really be no issue, 'stick' is fine too.

Brushing up on road signs and rules probably the main part for me.
Focus on penalties (fines and points) for driving infractions, and laws related to drunk/drugged driving. That said, a lot of your mandatory 5hr classroom training covers those things too.

For the purposes of the test, forget about manual transmissions, you'll be taking the test in an automatic.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Focus on penalties (fines and points) for driving infractions, and laws related to drunk/drugged driving. That said, a lot of your mandatory 5hr classroom training covers those things too.
5 hours! On site? đŸ¤Ļ‍♂ī¸
Old May 4th 2017, 7:30 pm

5 hours! On site? đŸ¤Ļ‍♂ī¸
Yup! I did mine in White Plains.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yup! I did mine in White Plains.
Omg - maybe I can break that up a little or do on weekend combined with a trip somewhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.