Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK for USA

Leaving UK for USA

Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leaving UK for USA

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years I had to show the I-797 at passport control when entering on a work visa. I would recommend to take all your paperwork in your hand luggage just in case. One time I was grilled and had to present just about everything but my bra size!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 5:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB

And as for driving license, hadn't occurred to me do I need to do something with my UK license, it's been fine for holidays but living in the US?

Think you are moving to NYS? It's 30 days leeway to obtain a license:

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/moving-new-york
Old Mar 16th 2017, 5:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Think you are moving to NYS? It's 30 days leeway to obtain a license:

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/moving-new-york
He probably won't get his road test done within 30 days, but he should do the written test and mandatory classroom education done, and get his road test booked within 30 days. Then carry supporting documentation and be prepared in the, hopefully unlikely, event that he is stopped by the police.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He probably won't get his road test done within 30 days, but he should do the written test and mandatory classroom education done, and get his road test booked within 30 days. Then carry supporting documentation and be prepared in the, hopefully unlikely, event that he is stopped by the police.
I am moving to NY but under E2 no green card so license is required later if I become US resident?
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving to NY but under E2 no green card so license is required later if I become US resident?
There are different, often wildly different definitions of "resident", and if you buy/ rent a (primary) home, have a job, obtain an SSN, register a vehicle, put a child in school, etc., you are "resident" for the purposes of needing a local drivers license.

Please don't let anyone persuade you otherwise as you will only find out that you have a problem when you're involved in an accident, when the police will declare your UK license invalid, which will void your insurance, so not only are you on the hook for any damage or injuries you caused, but you won't even have the insurer's lawyers to manage things for you, and the police can prosecute you for driving without a valid license and without insurance.

The driver licensing process and test is an utter joke, embarrassingly easy (treat the test seriously, but it won't cause you a problem), and having a local license will help with car insurance, as well as serve as an ID whenever you are asked for one. In short: there is no good reason to not get a local DL.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 16th 2017 at 6:39 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

There are different, often wildly different definitions of "resident", and if you buy/ rent a (primary) home, have a job, obtain an SSN, register a vehicle, put a child in school, etc., you are "resident" for the purposes of needing a local drivers license.

Please don't let anyone persuade you otherwise as you will only find out that you have a problem when you're involved in an accident, when the police will declare your UK license invalid, which will void your insurance, so not only are you on the hook for any damage or injuries you caused, but you won't even have the insurer's lawyers to manage things for you, and the police can prosecute you for driving without a valid license and without insurance.

The driver licensing process and test is an utter joke, embarrassingly easy (treat the test seriously, but it won't cause you a problem), and having a local license will help with car insurance, as well as serve as an ID whenever you are asked for one. In short: there is no good reaosn to not get a local DL.
Right ok, thanks!

So I travel out for a week to start in US job then come back to UK for about 4 weeks or so. For that first week I won't need to drive and won't be renting a property.
Employer said I should hold off on applying for SSN until we come back 'for good'
When we do then, I'll need to apply for SSN and driving license.

Will my 30 days grace expire during that period from starting to returning?

I hope my UK license remains valid? This is an additional US license, a separate thing, is it valid in all US states?

Last edited by LouisB; Mar 16th 2017 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:38 pm

Right ok, thanks!

So I travel out for a week to start in US job then come back to UK for about 4 weeks or so. For that first week I won't need to drive and won't be renting a property.
Employer said I should hold off on applying for SSN until we come back 'for good'
When we do then, I'll need to apply for SSN and driving license.
Will my 30 days grace expire during that period from starting to returning?
If you arrive using your E-2, then technically you have probably "arrived", but IMO it is unlikely anyone would ever notice, and if you don't rent a home, and then leave a week later, I wouldn't worry, but would treat the 30 days as starting when you arrive "permanently".

I strongly disagree on the advice for an SSN, if you're coming next week, get your application in if at all possible (wait until the end of the week and hopefully your name will be "in the system"), then you'll have your number ready for you on your return - give your office address for them to mail the card to you.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you arrive using your E-2, then technically you have probably "arrived", but IMO it is unlikely anyone would ever notice, and if you don't rent a home, and then leave a week later, I wouldn't worry, but would treat the 30 days as starting when you arrive "permanently".

I strongly disagree on the advice for an SSN, if you're coming next week, get your application in if at all possible (wait until the end of the week and hopefully your name will be "in the system"), then you'll have your number ready for you on your return - give your office address for them to mail the card to you.
Ok cool, makes sense. Thank you.

Happy to sit the test and of course want to abide by the law, will book it when we return. We'll want a car but luckily shouldn't need one initially, being city based. Phew!

I agree with you and this is what I proposed to employer but have been told not to do this so I can double check once started but had better follow their advice.

It should literally be just 4 weeks or so and we'll be back properly, just long enough to pack our stuff, arrange to ship our cat and vacate the premises as they say
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years I had to show the I-797 at passport control when entering on a work visa. I would recommend to take all your paperwork in your hand luggage just in case. One time I was grilled and had to present just about everything but my bra size!
By the way I don't even have an I-797 but I think this is normal arriving as E2 non-immigrant at this stage, AFAIK.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken here.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We'll want a car but luckily shouldn't need one initially, being city based.

You should definitely give it some time to settle in before you make a decision on a car. Living in NYC, you may find it cost effective to just rent when you want to get away for the weekend. Otherwise, you will either be paying to rent a parking space for the car or dealing with "alternate side," which is a big PIA!
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You should definitely give it some time to settle in before you make a decision on a car. Living in NYC, you may find it cost effective to just rent when you want to get away for the weekend. Otherwise, you will either be paying to rent a parking space for the car or dealing with "alternate side," which is a big PIA!
Totally, the way I see it, we won't need one in the city and as you say, it can even be a PITA.

I'm thinking from time to time we should just rent one for now, as and when we want to go explore.

For that I'll get a US license, but that should be no rush.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

By the way I don't even have an I-797 but I think this is normal arriving as E2 non-immigrant at this stage, AFAIK.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken here.
TBH I am not sure. We had non-immigrant visas, but each time entering the country we were always asked for the I-797 (USCIS approval notice). It is the same form that we needed to get the visa stamps/stickers in our passports at the embassy, if that helps. If in doubt, have every last bit of paperwork handy
Old Mar 16th 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
TBH I am not sure. We had non-immigrant visas, but each time entering the country we were always asked for the I-797 (USCIS approval notice). It is the same form that we needed to get the visa stamps/stickers in our passports at the embassy, if that helps. If in doubt, have every last bit of paperwork handy
I'm taking everything I can find

Interestingly we didn't get to keep anything handed over at the US embassy London.

Most if not all of which was a pack handed to us from legal team day before. Contained a bunch of forms, one may have been I-797 but I'm not sure.

I could I guess ask for an electronic copy although with one day left it might be a little late.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm taking everything I can find

Interestingly we didn't get to keep anything handed over at the US embassy London.

Most if not all of which was a pack handed to us from legal team day before. Contained a bunch of forms, one may have been I-797 but I'm not sure.

I could I guess ask for an electronic copy although with one day left it might be a little late.
It will probably be in that packet from the attorney Have a safe flight!
Old Mar 18th 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

On my way, up in the sky over the Atlantic. Thought I'd say hi because I can and it's kinda fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.