Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK and NHS

Leaving UK and NHS

Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:39 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK and NHS

The company needs to make the move and uprooting of your family as attractive as possible and part of the negotiations will be good healthcare coverage for all of you. And even if you could use the NHS, there would still be the cost of 2 flights (assuming the son is a minor and would need a parent to travel with him), x weeks off work (would that all be on full pay?) and other ancillary costs such as bed and board for the accompanying parent. My husband’s most recent surgery was billed to the insurance company at $75,000 - of which we paid $823. NHS often has to cancel or postpone elective procedures - this happened three times with me back in the UK for the same procedure. Imagine you’d already purchased the flights and then you got the call?
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Fortunately I didn’t need the hospital until I had been here more than 6 months otherwise I would have found out what the follow up questions would have been

When I registered at our local Doctor’s within the first week of arriving there was no question on residency even though I didn’t have an NHS number.
You don't need to be resident to visit your GP or A&E as that's primary care which is free for everyone; you do need to be for secondary care.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You don't need to be resident to visit your GP or A&E as that's primary care which is free for everyone; you do need to be for secondary care.
Gotcha, that makes sense.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:22 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
Just wondered if anyone can clarify something for me. It is stated on NHS website that if you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you are no longer eligible for NHS, however it is unclear re moving abroad on a temporary work visa.
Technically, my family is moving on 12 month L1 and L2 visas, would it be possible to come back and make use of NHS during this time? reason I am asking is my son needs a followup surgery in the next 6-12 months and although I am exploring American health insurance options also, I wanted to check if he could still be eligible to come back to England for it (and have dental check up at same time), especially as still paying NI contributions

Thanks so much
I understand that you might want the same team to look after your son. I had a similar issue and had no choice but to get the surgery done here. It is really nice to choose your own doctor (insurance permitting!), choose the date that suits you and be in a really nice hospital with an excellent dr. Give yourself time to ask for recommendations.

Advice given to me many years ago by someone who had moved almost as many times as I have now was to "live where you are". ie find drs, dentists etc here in the US. It will help your children to settle better than if you are looking back to the UK for whatever it is. Mind you, I still get M&S and Boden deliveries!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I understand that you might want the same team to look after your son. I had a similar issue and had no choice but to get the surgery done here. It is really nice to choose your own doctor (insurance permitting!), choose the date that suits you and be in a really nice hospital with an excellent dr. Give yourself time to ask for recommendations.

Advice given to me many years ago by someone who had moved almost as many times as I have now was to "live where you are". ie find drs, dentists etc here in the US. It will help your children to settle better than if you are looking back to the UK for whatever it is. Mind you, I still get M&S and Boden deliveries!
great advice!! and yes you are spot on that we preferred the continuity of the same surgeon. As to happens we were even considering keeping our UK health insurance concurrently for a year (which is a drop in the ocean compared to price of US insurance) but I think that makes a lot of sense about 'living' where u r based...
thank you
Old Apr 28th 2018, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a n article in the Guardian a month or so ago where the Labour spokesperson said if you had paid taxes etc in the UK then you should be entitled to use the NHS so this may be an issue to look out for.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:05 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There was a n article in the Guardian a month or so ago where the Labour spokesperson said if you had paid taxes etc in the UK then you should be entitled to use the NHS so this may be an issue to look out for.
I'm tempted to agree with that - you are still contributing to the system so why shouldn't you be able to use it? The biggest misconception with ex-pats is they think NI contributions make one eligible for the NHS, regardless of residency.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I'm tempted to agree with that - you are still contributing to the system so why shouldn't you be able to use it? The biggest misconception with ex-pats is they think NI contributions make one eligible for the NHS, regardless of residency.
I agree - My husband will still be a business owner in UK and paying taxes. My son has a nut allergy so being able just to get epi pens would be a godsend but doesnt look like we can. oh well, u don't ask..u don't get! (im scared to even ask how much epi pens are in USA)
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - My husband will still be a business owner in UK and paying taxes. My son has a nut allergy so being able just to get epi pens would be a godsend but doesnt look like we can. oh well, u don't ask..u don't get! (im scared to even ask how much epi pens are in USA)
If you have health care insurance which includes meds it shouldn’t cost too much. Think we paid $10 for epipens.

Ask your UK GP to give you scripts and get them filled before you leave. Think they can give you 3 months supply.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/generic-...-you-can-save/

Some people seem to think that since they paid into NI and/or taxes for X years, they get NHS for life. Can you imagine that here? "Hi Anthem/Kaiser/Aetna, I paid you $25k last couple of years, can I get benefits for life now?"
Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:08 pm
Banned

I don't have experience personally of epi pens but from what I've heard at work they are much cheaper in Canada. We live 100 miles from Canada and I know colleagues go to Canada for certain medicines. They would probably be able to post them to you?
Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I don't have experience personally of epi pens but from what I've heard at work they are much cheaper in Canada. We live 100 miles from Canada and I know colleagues go to Canada for certain medicines. They would probably be able to post them to you?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle31570003/
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Some people seem to think that since they paid into NI and/or taxes for X years, they get NHS for life. Can you imagine that here? "Hi Anthem/Kaiser/Aetna, I paid you $25k last couple of years, can I get benefits for life now?"
I never referred to past tense, I am referring to present tense and ongoing so moot point (thanks for the link tho)

Last edited by karenkaren1; Apr 28th 2018 at 7:28 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you. Im stock piling right now so fine for the first year
Old Apr 28th 2018, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Medicaid might be a better comparison, Or VA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.