Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK, Looking for Info

Leaving the UK, Looking for Info

Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving the UK, Looking for Info

Hey Guys

I should hopefully be leaving the UK at the End of the Month. After 2 1/2 years of waiting I have my Visa interview for My CR1 to go and live in the states.

Im looking for advice on what (if any) official steps I should take to let the government, tax man, local authorities, Etc that Im leaving for the near foreseeable future. Anything your guys can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK, Looking for Info

Originally Posted by Gary Hipperson
Im looking for advice on what (if any) official steps I should take to let the government, tax man, local authorities, Etc that Im leaving for the near foreseeable future. Anything your guys can give me would be much appreciated.
Quite a few threads on this already....as well as the wiki.

P-85 for the tax if you want it returned and that's it.

Worth sorting out a proxy voter too, easier to do before leaving as a postal vote usually won't make it in time.

Get a copy of medical records, birth cert, any marriage/divorce certs etc, as always handy to have them and easier to get whilst there.

If your passport is remotely close to expiring, renew it now, much cheaper....less than 9 month remaining can be added on to a new passport, anything over that is lost.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK, Looking for Info

Originally Posted by Bob
Quite a few threads on this already....as well as the wiki.

P-85 for the tax if you want it returned and that's it.

Worth sorting out a proxy voter too, easier to do before leaving as a postal vote usually won't make it in time.

Get a copy of medical records, birth cert, any marriage/divorce certs etc, as always handy to have them and easier to get whilst there.

If your passport is remotely close to expiring, renew it now, much cheaper....less than 9 month remaining can be added on to a new passport, anything over that is lost.
Also don't forget to tell your council you're moving and no longer liable for Council Tax. If you still own a property in the UK that will be empty once you move out, you get six months of exemption from Council Tax during which you can hopefully sell it or get a tenant in. Once you've sold the property you need to notify the council so they know you have no Council Tax liability on it any more.