Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving and returning: What to consider

Leaving and returning: What to consider

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:10 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Leaving and returning: What to consider

OK, so this is a general call out to anyone who may be able to help. My secondment here finishes in March 2010 (L1A valid to December 2011) and I am planning to return home in March, gain 3 eligible L2s, and then return to the USA in July 2011 with the L2s tagged on to my L1A expiring December, or a new L1A.

I have run the immigration side through my company's lawyer, and am comfortable with that (although input/comments are welcome) but I was wondering what else you think I should think of?

So far I have:

1 - Made sure my US email address will still exist
2 - Made sure I can immigrationally come back with my L2s
3 - Made sure the US firm would want me back

Before I leave I know I need to:

1 - See if I can hold my cell on some low contract to keep the number
2 - Make sure I can hold my HSBC accounts
3 - Cancel my cable, net and home phone
4 - Arrange storage for my computer, TV and furniture
5 - Buy a portable hard drive to take my pics off of the comp before it goes into storage.
6 - Hand back my lease car and pay for the damage out of my rental deposit

I have requested/agreed in my UK package:

1 - A salary bump form when I left to cover exchange rate flux
2 - A week to deal with moving everything
3 - Tax assistance both sides
4 - A small repatriation amount to cover things I have to buy on my return (eg TV, computer) and shipping a box or two of docs and clothes (anyone suggest a good small volume shipper TO the UK?)

So there ya go... I am trying to be organized and all assistance would be massively welcome!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving and returning: What to consider

Originally Posted by lj2

I have requested/agreed in my UK package:

1 - A salary bump form when I left to cover exchange rate flux
2 - A week to deal with moving everything
3 - Tax assistance both sides
4 - A small repatriation amount to cover things I have to buy on my return (eg TV, computer) and shipping a box or two of docs and clothes (anyone suggest a good small volume shipper TO the UK?)

So there ya go... I am trying to be organized and all assistance would be massively welcome!

I can help with point number 4.

See here. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629133

Interparcel does small (and big) boxes between US, UK and third countries.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I have run the immigration side through my company's lawyer, and am comfortable with that (although input/comments are welcome) but I was wondering what else you think I should think of?
If I have understood your post correctly, when you return to the US it will be a permanent move rather than a secondment, right? If so, have you thought about asking your company about green cards? It might not actually cost them much more than it would if they had to a renewal of your L1A (plus travel to an embassy x4) a few months after you return to the US.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

School transcripts for the kids.

HSBC bank account won't be a problem, though if you don't use the credit card in a year it'll probably be killed.

Possibly consider selling the furniture/tele unless it's high end as the storage cost might be pretty high, though that depends on where you are obviously as some places it won't be as important to have it climate controlled as it would be in others.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:18 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Socal Local
If I have understood your post correctly, when you return to the US it will be a permanent move rather than a secondment, right? If so, have you thought about asking your company about green cards? It might not actually cost them much more than it would if they had to a renewal of your L1A (plus travel to an embassy x4) a few months after you return to the US.
I have actually, forgot to mention this - my apologies. The GC process will begin as soon as I arrive back. I made sure of this. Good thought!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:19 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I can help with point number 4.

See here. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629133

Interparcel does small (and big) boxes between US, UK and third countries.
Awesome - thank you very much!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:26 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
School transcripts for the kids.

HSBC bank account won't be a problem, though if you don't use the credit card in a year it'll probably be killed.

Possibly consider selling the furniture/tele unless it's high end as the storage cost might be pretty high, though that depends on where you are obviously as some places it won't be as important to have it climate controlled as it would be in others.
Thanks Bob - to clarify (a google search leaves me mildly better informed but not much), when you mention the school transcript what do you think I would need? I presume that is something to get from the UK school to present to the US school here which lays out the curriculum studied and the child's performance? Or is this something you write yourself as a parent?

On return the children will be 5 and 3 so little one won't be an issue, but we will have a decision to make with the 5 year old who will have done a year of school and so potentially be considering first grade.

Makes me think of another thing to add to the list too - injections. Must try and get the kids done for the necessaries...

Re: storage, I think I'm going to be paying about $70 per month for a 5' by 10' room inside but not climate controlled. Computer and TV to live somewhere else (need to find someone ) as I am in Chicago. Over 15 months, that's probably the same price as my furniture other than the bed which set me back $1k so, probably still worth it I reckon.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, transcripts from the school, what studied, grades etc...less important when young I suppose, I've no idea, but something to ask the school all the same as it might help them out when they switch schools, or help the teachers at least.

Definitely get the wee ones jabbed up in the UK and keep a couple copies of their vaccination records.

Whilst your there, for just in cases, worth getting a copy of their birth certs and yourselves too if you need them later on for greencard stuff or what have, easier sorting now than later.

If your in Chicago, with those cold winters and hot, humid summers, you'd want climate controlled storage for that length of time other wise you might come back to a room full of rotted, damp, knackered furniture, especially electronics but your keeping those with a friend I guess?

Solid wood type furniture might not be to bad, but mattresses etc won't do so well....nor anything metal.

Originally Posted by lj2
Thanks Bob - to clarify (a google search leaves me mildly better informed but not much), when you mention the school transcript what do you think I would need? I presume that is something to get from the UK school to present to the US school here which lays out the curriculum studied and the child's performance? Or is this something you write yourself as a parent?

On return the children will be 5 and 3 so little one won't be an issue, but we will have a decision to make with the 5 year old who will have done a year of school and so potentially be considering first grade.

Makes me think of another thing to add to the list too - injections. Must try and get the kids done for the necessaries...

Re: storage, I think I'm going to be paying about $70 per month for a 5' by 10' room inside but not climate controlled. Computer and TV to live somewhere else (need to find someone ) as I am in Chicago. Over 15 months, that's probably the same price as my furniture other than the bed which set me back $1k so, probably still worth it I reckon.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Before I leave I know I need to:

1 - See if I can hold my cell on some low contract to keep the number
An alternative that may or may not work for you (see what you think) on this point:

If you get a Google Voice account set up NOW before you leave, and change this to be your primary point of contact - you can forward calls made and texts sent to your GV number to your US cell while you still have it, then when you leave the US just cancel the cellphone and set GV so that all calls go straight to voicemail. You can pick up your voicemail and SMS via the website from anywhere worldwide.

If and when you come back, just forward your GV number to your new cell number and to everyone with your GV number it was all seamless.

Google Voice is free too...so you're quids in with not having to maintain a cell contract while you are away.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about getting a school transcript for a 5 year old...unecessary hassle imo
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

As Bob said, you will definitely need a storage unit that is climate controlled here in IL, we had a 10x10 unit with climate control and it cost us about $170 a month!

It's worth it though, the humidity here alone will turn all your 'soft' furnishings, bedding etc mouldy without it and any wooden furniture could end up warped.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't understand why you are doing all of this with your phone number, bank account, household belongings. Close the bloody things, sell the furniture and if and when you come back, start all over again. Bank accounts and phone numbers are so easy to get. And electronics will be outdated before you do return, if you do.

Your furniture will eventually become home to rodents and insects no matter what storage unit you rent and will be thrown out if you do come back.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lisa67
I wouldn't worry about getting a school transcript for a 5 year old...unecessary hassle imo
aye, I didn't realise how young they were when I suggested it

Last edited by Bob; Oct 23rd 2009 at 7:05 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, I didn't realise how young they were when I suggested it
I guessed as much!
It would be interesting to see what the school would put down though
(can cut with scissors etc.!)
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:34 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't understand why you are doing all of this with your phone number, bank account, household belongings. Close the bloody things, sell the furniture and if and when you come back, start all over again. Bank accounts and phone numbers are so easy to get. And electronics will be outdated before you do return, if you do.

Your furniture will eventually become home to rodents and insects no matter what storage unit you rent and will be thrown out if you do come back.
Bank account - I will continue to transfer back and forth so want to keep it open, I have premier service so don't want to lose it.

Phone - I am looking to keep my USA network alive and I feel from a business point of view that keeping my number has a great deal of value in doing so.

Furniture - Storage at 100 bucks per month is 1500 over the period, much less than the delta between the money I would receive from any sale and the future purchase price requirement to replace it. The electronics won't be out of date in 15 months. Older yes, out of date, no.

Is anyone else's experience that the storage places are no good for a 15 month period, with rodents coming in etc? That would obviously mean I should reconsider that one.

I will return (to paraphrase Arnie).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.