Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving and re-entering America

Wikiposts

Leaving and re-entering America

Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:17 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving and re-entering America

Originally Posted by clutzuk
Hello everyone

So question- I am on an F-1 visa as a student- but I am leaving school so my F-1 is going to be cancelled.

I then have 30 days to leave but I am actually would like to stay in the states till around thanksgiving-just spend sometime seeing America etc etc.

I also want to go to Canada to visit a friend.

Is it still allowed that I can go to Canada and then come into America again on a tourist visa or do I have to go home first before re-entering as a tourist-I hope this makes sense-basically I am just confused if it is still ok to leave the country without returning home and re-entering the country.

Ok thank you so much for your help.

Take care
There are two issues here. Firstly, don't overstay your F-1 visa. You have 30 days after withdrawing from school in which to stay in the country, so just make sure you calculate that amount of time correctly so that you don't overstay.

If you overstay your F-1 visa, even if only by one day, then you are ineligible to use the VWP in the future. Instead you'd need to obtain a tourist visa.

Secondly, if you leave the US before the 30 days is up then try to re-enter the US later on, you may have trouble doing so unless you can provide sufficient evidence of your intent to return to your home country. Basically, convince them that you have no immigration intent. Also, the general rule of thumb for using the VWP is 90 days in, 90 days out. Do you plan to stay in Canada for 90 days?

~ Jenney