British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Leaving my son in U.S. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/leaving-my-son-u-s-714601/)

mooshie Apr 25th 2011 8:54 pm

Leaving my son in U.S.

Hello again,:)

Had our immigrant (f4) interview and was approved..Me and my son will be flying to florida next week for 2 weeks, i booked our return tickets..i am a nurse and I need to activate ssn so i can transfer my nursing license from Vermont to Florida then come back here in U.k. To sort out some things before moving permanently with the whole family (3 children and husband)maybe by August just in time for school opening.

My question is, can i leave My son with my sister in florida and just me to come back in U.K. Then reunited with him in August with the whole family. If I am allowed to do that, will i have any problem with the airline as i booked return ticket for both of us?
Your reply will be much appreciated..thanks:)

A I Apr 25th 2011 8:57 pm

Re: Leaving my son in U.S.

How old is your son ?

mooshie Apr 25th 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by A I (Post 9325867)
How old is your son ?

I'm sorry, forgot to mention, he is 15 years old..he mentioned to me if he can
Stay with my sister (u.s. Citizen) and his cousins until we come back by August with the whole family..

I tried to research the forum about it but can't find any with same situation x

meauxna Apr 25th 2011 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mooshie (Post 9325894)
I'm sorry, forgot to mention, he is 15 years old..he mentioned to me if he can
Stay with my sister (u.s. Citizen) and his cousins until we come back by August with the whole family..

I tried to research the forum about it but can't find any with same situation x

What exactly is your concern about this? Immigration-wise, it should not make any difference. But, you will want to look into the legalities of leaving your minor child with an adult who isn't his parent.
Your sister will need permission to get him treated at a hospital or doctor if something should happen. Based on other posts here, you should make sure he is *crystal clear* about the consequences of him getting caught drinking or in possession or use of drugs. He can be deported, and cause problems for the rest of the family and laws are quite different here. This isn't a slam on your family or you as individuals; as I said, just reporting back what I have observed here.

Noorah101 Apr 25th 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9325970)
What exactly is your concern about this? Immigration-wise, it should not make any difference. But, you will want to look into the legalities of leaving your minor child with an adult who isn't his parent.
Your sister will need permission to get him treated at a hospital or doctor if something should happen.

Especially if he has no health care coverage, which he might not, until the whole family immigrates and gets on a health insurance plan.

Rene

Nutmegger Apr 25th 2011 10:04 pm

Has your son finished school? It seems that he is so close to finishing the UK school year that it would be a shame to take him out early. Would you just leave him at a loose end in the US (which might not be a good idea) or would you want to get him right into school in the US (though it would indeed be the very tail-end of the school year here)?

mooshie Apr 25th 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9325992)
Has your son finished school? It seems that he is so close to finishing the UK school year that it would be a shame to take him out early. Would you just leave him at a loose end in the US (which might not be a good idea) or would you want to get him right into school in the US (though it would indeed be the very tail-end of the school year here)?

Thanks for all the replies, i am thinking to enroll him straight away in school, i am consulting in here so i can have some suggestions from other members, actually the real reason is, my son's requesting to do so as he wants to get away from his mates in here and start a new life although since his last arrest few months ago, ive seen some improvements on him, no more police visiting our house and he comes home early..

Meauxna and Noorah101's got very good points that i did not even consider/cross my mind.. i just thought of my son being with his cousins (2 boys around his age) will do some good on him..as they grew up together in Philippines so they are really close, i really appreciate all your replies, many thanks xx

mooshie Apr 25th 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9325984)
Especially if he has no health care coverage, which he might not, until the whole family immigrates and gets on a health insurance plan.

Rene

You are right, many thanks x:)

S Folinsky Apr 26th 2011 2:32 am

Back in the day before the huge backlogs, it was not uncommon for parent to immigrate, bring kidlet, leave with family and then abandon LPR status.

MsElui Apr 26th 2011 2:49 am

im not sure about your local school - but ours are done by the 5th of June usually - and dont go back until abrounf 25th August.

mooshie Apr 26th 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9326368)
Back in the day before the huge backlogs, it was not uncommon for parent to immigrate, bring kidlet, leave with family and then abandon LPR status.

thanks for your reply, im concerned about immigartion status, if it's legal to do that, we are thinking only 2-3 months separation coz when i come back here in England, i will just sort some loose ends and file my resignation then reunited with him.

once again thank you

mooshie Apr 26th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 9326383)
im not sure about your local school - but ours are done by the 5th of June usually - and dont go back until abrounf 25th August.

thanks for the information x