Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the country after 5 years

Leaving the country after 5 years

Old Dec 24th 2016, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the country after 5 years

Originally Posted by Britspark
I came to this forum as wanted to get other's view on US vs UK and was interested in hearing views form both sides.
Apparently, that's a lie. Your reaction to these posts suggests that you aren't actually interested in hearing views from both sides. Had you actually been interested, you wouldn't have so quickly dismissed those whose opinions differ from yours.

Ian
Old Dec 24th 2016, 8:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon
it's amazing how "touchy" some people get when you point out the very real flaws in the USA.
Touchy about US flaws, no been traveling to or living in the US for 20+ years I think I know most of the flaws, they long ago stopped annoying me. It is just another place, like the UK, with good, bad and mostly in between.

People who appear tell everyone they are going back to the UK as a first post make me wonder who they are trying to convince themselves, or practicing their story for when they get back. There have been people who have been members here for more than day or two, who have hit hard times or just needed to go back to the UK and who have been shown great respect, understanding and given practical help. One post wonders who are just critical, find the need to tell a group of total strangers on the Internet they are leaving I just find hard to understand their point. Other than trolling.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 24th 2016 at 8:25 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

whatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of light

or opinions for that matter
Old Dec 24th 2016, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Britspark is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments you. To further clarify:
1. Yes I meant I miss blue sky in the US.

2. My disclaimer stated up front this a subject opinion. I guess I should haved said 'and is therefore not a universally accepted fact' so I apologise for that oversight.

3. I found the page when I was searching google to see what others think of the UK vs the US. Then I found this site and didn't realise it had a posting policy that discourages first time posts like these. And really I just felt sorry for that poor guy - who I will repeat, was making a 'sweeping generalisation' but his *own* personal sweeping generalisation, to which he is entitled to and I was actually interested in without thinking he was speaking some universal truth. The beauty of online forums is you get to see what people really think and compare their internal biases and generalisations to your own.

I really hope people read back some of their posts with a glass of wine in their hand, Xmas music playing and ask 'what am I getting so worked up about?'

Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!!! :-)

Last edited by Britspark; Dec 24th 2016 at 11:08 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

whatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of light

yes, criticism of the USA seems to hit a nerve
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny, because much of the posts on BE's US forum comprises whinging about how terrible the US is!
Old Dec 25th 2016, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

I do find some of the responses to this (and the other thread) amusing but I do find threads like this quite interesting. I've only been in the US for coming up on 3 months now and still in the "homesick like crazy" phase. Mostly, I miss the Scottish scenery but I realise that there are places of equal (or more) beauty in the US (just not in Ohio haha).

Not trying to derail the thread but my take on this so far is:

The banking here does suck, there seems to be no one single branch that operates (or at least has branches) nationwide. Fees for using another bank's ATMs and the amount of places that still want to be paid via check takes me back about 20 years. I've not heard of Venmo, but people around here mostly bank with Chase and so use Chase Quickpay. However, back in the UK, I used Paypal.me or simply transferred from my bank's mobile app (Bank of Scotland) and the payment was immediate and without fees.

I find the following to be more expensive, groceries, home rental (even here in the rust belt of NE Ohio), furniture, any kind of insurance (health insurance is a joke) and oddly, any kind of internet/mobile service. Slightly offset are the cheaper electronics, gas, (new) cars, clothing, and dining out seems less expensive in general.

The dog leashing laws here are irritating after so many years of relative freedom for my dogs, and also the way that the parks are closed outside of set hours (in Scotland, you can go pretty much where you like whenever you want). I do however, like the large number of metro and national parks available.

Around the two-year mark, I'll probably discuss relocation with my employer (as I work in a position that allows for remote working - I'd been doing that as a consultant from the UK for years prior to moving here) - perhaps moving somewhere with mountains. If not, I'll probably move back to the UK (where I still own a home). I don't hate it here (I knew what to expect prior to moving), I just don't think I'll ever consider it home.

Last edited by mproudfoot; Dec 25th 2016 at 2:02 am.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mproudfoot
I do find some of the responses to this (and the other thread) amusing but I do find threads like this quite interesting. I've only been in the US for coming up on 3 months now and still in the "homesick like crazy" phase. Mostly, I miss the Scottish scenery but I realise that there are places of equal (or more) beauty in the US (just not in Ohio haha).

Not trying to derail the thread but my take on this so far is:

The banking here does suck, there seems to be no one single branch that operates (or at least has branches) nationwide. Fees for using another bank's ATMs and the amount of places that still want to be paid via check takes me back about 20 years. I've not heard of Venmo, but people around here mostly bank with Chase and so use Chase Quickpay. However, back in the UK, I used Paypal.me or simply transferred from my bank's mobile app (Bank of Scotland) and the payment was immediate and without fees.

I find the following to be more expensive, groceries, home rental (even here in the rust belt of NE Ohio), furniture, any kind of insurance (health insurance is a joke) and oddly, any kind of internet/mobile service. Slightly offset are the cheaper electronics, gas, (new) cars, clothing, and dining out seems less expensive in general.

The dog leashing laws here are irritating after so many years of relative freedom for my dogs, and also the way that the parks are closed outside of set hours (in Scotland, you can go pretty much where you like whenever you want). I do however, like the large number of metro and national parks available.

Around the two-year mark, I'll probably discuss relocation with my employer (as I work in a position that allows for remote working - I'd been doing that as a consultant from the UK for years prior to moving here) - perhaps moving somewhere with mountains. If not, I'll probably move back to the UK (where I still own a home). I don't hate it here (I knew what to expect prior to moving), I just don't think I'll ever consider it home.
If you like mountains and lakes try the Panhandle of Idaho, Coeur d'Alene. Wonderful views, relaxed living.

I agree about banks in US, Uk seems far more advanced. Mobile I find more expensive in UK.

NE Ohio like rest of Ohio not exactly a scenic place. The state is slowly dying. In west Ohio heroin epidemic, stagnant real wages, and an amazing array of products offered to those with diabetes, humid summers and damp winters.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morpeth
If you like mountains and lakes try the Panhandle of Idaho, Coeur d'Alene. Wonderful views, relaxed living.

I agree about banks in US, Uk seems far more advanced. Mobile I find more expensive in UK.

NE Ohio like rest of Ohio not exactly a scenic place. The state is slowly dying. In west Ohio heroin epidemic, stagnant real wages, and an amazing array of products offered to those with diabetes, humid summers and damp winters.
Interesting that you find mobile more expensive in the UK - I was paying 20 GBP/month for 5GB 4G and unlimited texts/calls with Vodafone on a 30-day rolling contract before I left (I always buy my own handsets sim-free). Here, the cheapest appears to be around $40/mo for 3GB 4G and unlimited calls within the US (also providing my own device).

Idaho is actually something I've been reading about already - looks pretty amazing with one of the largest national forests in the lower 48, plus the Boise "foothills" at over 6500ft / almost 2000m look great, with the Sawtooth range further out.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you find mobile more expensive in the UK - I was paying 20 GBP/month for 5GB 4G and unlimited texts/calls with Vodafone on a 30-day rolling contract before I left (I always buy my own handsets sim-free). Here, the cheapest appears to be around $40/mo for 3GB 4G and unlimited calls within the US (also providing my own device).
I agree. I had a much better deal in the UK. The 'family plans' here also seem so excessive.

For me this is offset by not having to pay £16 p/m line rental for broadband.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Idaho is actually something I've been reading about already - looks pretty amazing with one of the largest national forests in the lower 48, plus the Boise "foothills" at over 6500ft / almost 2000m look great, with the Sawtooth range further out.
Maybe I am on wrong plan with O2.

The southern part of Idaho different than northern part. I prefer the Panhandle area, cities like Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Lakes, mountains, relaxed environment. Many ski areas, golf if you like, immense national forests, very little crime to speak of, and generally a more laid-back tolerant place where people aren't as stressed. Seattle only a short plane trip away, and for day to day needs Spokane ( an ugly city in my opinion) just a 20 minute drive. House prices ( if not on one of more known lakes) quite reasonable. It is dry so winters better than Ohio. In Coeur d'Alene you can have coffee by the lake in the morning, a small beach to use in summer, and a few minutes drive and you are in the mountains. Canada a short drive to the north, and to the East in 20 minutes you are in Cabinet mountains on border of Idaho. Montana, some of most beautiful country I have seen in the USA. Also government presence is not as heavy as in other parts of country.

If you like noisy polluted cities with stressed people always in a rush, then not a good choice.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Right, yes. No one on here ever criticises anything about the USA.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I agree. I had a much better deal in the UK. The 'family plans' here also seem so excessive.

For me this is offset by not having to pay £16 p/m line rental for broadband.
I still have my UK mobile plan, £0/month line rental, the 5p per min if I do ever make a call. It's on what used to be orange, BE I think it is now. Last time I was there , bought PATG for £10 2 GB of 4G data plus 1500 mins for a month. Don't see anything like that in the US
Old Dec 27th 2016, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

You're new around here aren't you, maybe even a new lurker?

The USA forum regulars here regularly tear into the USA, often to make a point to people wanting to move to the USA cos they think it's the answer to their problems. You will see this if you look back at older posts.

On the point of hitting a nerve, you will see people get hyper-defensive about the UK too.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The UK certainly has the US beaten when it comes to historic architecture, but in terms of being a beautiful country as far as landscape is concerned, the US probably has more to offer because of the breathtaking variety. One of the things I've always loved about NYC is that you can be out of the city and into the country so rapidly.
But if you think of Europe as a whole the landscape isn't much more diverse in the US, unless you're really into desert scenery. And with US vacation allowance and flight prices, it's easier to actually explore Europe.

As for your second point, you have to go pretty far outside NYC to find anything really spectacular..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.