Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving the Bay Area ...

Leaving the Bay Area ...

Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the Bay Area ...

Originally Posted by Steerpike
As I have said, I love the Bay Area, and I love so much about San Francisco (I lived in the City for 12 years before moving to the 'burbs). But this whole 'shuttle bus' and 'class war' thing just pisses me off and is symptomatic about what is so messed up with the Bay Area.

San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities in the country, and there are literally millions of people who would like to live there. So what gives 'existing residents' any special right to stay there? If you look at the city historically, there were strong Irish and Russian communities, but they were displaced by Asians. There are plenty of cheaper places outside of SF that people can move to.

I personally lived in SF from 83 to 95, but in 95 concluded it was just too expensive for me, and moved out to Walnut Creek - a move I thoroughly enjoyed. My nephew was renting a crappy studio in the City until recently; he vowed never to leave the City but ended up moving to Redwood City recently and absolutely loves it - he wonders now why he ever put up with all the hassles of the City. These 'activist' people seem to think they are a special class of people who deserve special protections from normal market forces. If I want to spend my life being an artist, then I can't also expect to live in the most expensive city in the US ... Oakland is now becoming a haven for these displaced SF folk, due to its affordability. And of course, there are people in Oakland complaining that they are being displaced by these refugees from SF ... it's just the normal cycle of life.

I'm now considering leaving the Bay Area because it's too expensive; I will enjoy 'the next place' just as much, I'm sure, for different reasons.
You mean places like this in Oakland.

Screw the poor who cares I'm alright? Maybe we could recreated the workhouse. What the hell are they doing in San Francisco anyway.

What are we to about the poor? they're such a nuisance.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
You mean places like this in Oakland.
http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/as...xlarge-169.jpg

Screw the poor who cares I'm alright? Maybe we could recreated the workhouse. What the hell are they doing in San Francisco anyway.

What are we to about the poor? they're such a nuisance.
I have no idea what the relevance of your reply is. There was a tragedy in Oakland and sadly many people died. Is this somehow related to the cost of housing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_O...warehouse_fire
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
You see, the bolded is part of my beef with SF.

A rental home is just that...a rental. Our first place in SF, we got Ellis Acted. The owner wanted to move his elderly parents in (it was a 4 story walk up with 4 apartments). He was awesome. Not only did he abide by the rules of Ellis to the letter, he slashed our rent to $1 for 3 months to ensure we had enough reserves for deposits and moving costs (on top of the $10K he paid us both as part of Ellis). We found a place across the street and could stay in the neighborhood. But in all honesty, if it wasn't for Ellis, we would have left happily with just two or 3 months notice. It was his apartment, we paid him rent in order to have a roof over our heads.

We moved into a building where one of the residents was paying $900 for a 3BR. That didn't even cover their share of the property tax on the unit for a year. Think about that - the landlord was losing money by having them there.

We're landlords to two apartments in Barcelona (another city with a property crisis akin to SF), both rented out long term to families below what we could get for them now as rentals. But damnit, if we needed or wanted to move back - they would have 3 months notice before we moved back and nothing more. While it's their apartment, it's our home.
I tend to agree (as a condo owner in SF :-)). Rent control is a piss poor intervention because it doesn't discriminate based on income of the renter and because it artificially lowers the availability of rental housing and thus increases rents for those that are new renters. You get people going to crazy lengths to hold onto a rent-controlled place, doing illegal sublets etc. And you get quite wealthy people who are paying well below the market rate merely because they've rented the place for ever.

Otoh, I don't agree with prop 13 either in that it ends up with like property being taxed at vastly different amounts depending on the purchase price. Although I do think property tax increases should be constrained, that aspect seems grossly unfair - Massachusetts' prop 2 1/2 is a fairer approach imo.

Of course, you could argue that my stances on rent control and prop 13 are somewhat inconsistent...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 25th 2017 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what the relevance of your reply is. There was a tragedy in Oakland and sadly many people died. Is this somehow related to the cost of housing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_O...warehouse_fire
In your post you thought the poor should get out of SF, how I'm supposed to interpret that? To move into accommodation similar to that which ended in tragedy in Oakland.
Isn't that your solution for people that can no longer afford to live in the city, but who will be there be to do the dirty jobs?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Inflation-adjusted, we're below the 2008 peak in the Bay Area. You can play around with both non-adjusted and inflation-adjusted graphs on this page:

Case-Shiller Home Price Trends in 20 Cities - Real Estate Decoded
Interesting - here's the chart for several major cities, inflation-adjusted, including LA, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, SF. I'm surprised to see LA at the top of the appreciation list in 2007; I always thought it was Las Vegas and Phoenix that were highest in the last bubble. And LA is also recovering well.

Portland seems to be doing well; it didn't experience too much of a bubble, and is already back to the same levels as 2008.

I'm surprised 'inflation adjusted' prices are so different from non-adjusted prices, since inflation has been very moderate over the past several years.
Attached Thumbnails Leaving the Bay Area ...-inflationadjustedrealestate2017.jpg  
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

In your post you thought the poor should get out of SF, how I'm supposed to interpret that? To move into accommodation similar to that which ended in tragedy in Oakland.
Isn't that your solution for people that can no longer afford to live in the city, but who will be there be to do the dirty jobs?
The people who lived at the Ghostship weren't doing "dirty jobs", they were largely choosing the "lifestyle" that that place offered. I do agree that there is some relationship between high rents and the existence of places like that, but let's be realistic here: your average blue collar worker who is "priced out" of San Francisco, isn't moving to places like that.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting - here's the chart for several major cities, inflation-adjusted, including LA, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, SF. I'm surprised to see LA at the top of the appreciation list in 2007; I always thought it was Las Vegas and Phoenix that were highest in the last bubble. And LA is also recovering well.
I think Las Vegas is the bubble "poster child" because its ascent to peak was the steepest and its post-crash trough the lowest.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The people who lived at the Ghostship weren't doing "dirty jobs", they were largely choosing the "lifestyle" that that place offered. I do agree that there is some relationship between high rents and the existence of places like that, but let's be realistic here: your average blue collar worker who is "priced out" of San Francisco, isn't moving to places like that.
Maybe a little OTT, but I just get angry at people that seem to have complete lack of empathy for the poor and low paid workers. Something is happening to society were the less fortunate are cast aside like they don't matter. Where incarceration is one solution.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My point is, San Francisco is one of the most desirable places in the world, and it makes sense that there will be high demand and thus, high prices, for real estate. If you can't afford to live there, you can't expect the tooth fairy to swoop in and somehow magically 'fix' that for you; you need to look at alternatives. Many people I know who have moved out are ultimately happy with their decision, but there is a collection of people who seem to feel 'entitled' to special treatment and I just don't think they are being realistic. Protesting those shuttle buses is another manifestation of their delusions.

Finding a solution to keep school teachers, firefighters, and similar 'blue collar' workers in the city is of course a noble cause. As Giantaxe just mentioned in another post, rent-control is a failed policy. If the city government can somehow find a solution, good luck to them, but I've been around this for 34 years and I don't see one. I also don't think the people protesting the shuttle busses are teachers or firefighters.

One of the great ironies I remember from my move was that it used to take me 45 minutes to get from my SF condo (inner Richmond district) to downtown SF, but it only took me 35 minutes to get from Walnut Creek to downtown SF by bart. So this notion that you need to be living in the city to work there is just not logical.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

My point is, San Francisco is one of the most desirable places in the world, and it makes sense that there will be high demand and thus, high prices, for real estate. If you can't afford to live there, you can't expect the tooth fairy to swoop in and somehow magically 'fix' that for you; you need to look at alternatives. Many people I know who have moved out are ultimately happy with their decision, but there is a collection of people who seem to feel 'entitled' to special treatment and I just don't think they are being realistic. Protesting those shuttle buses is another manifestation of their delusions.

Finding a solution to keep school teachers, firefighters, and similar 'blue collar' workers in the city is of course a noble cause. As Giantaxe just mentioned in another post, rent-control is a failed policy. If the city government can somehow find a solution, good luck to them, but I've been around this for 34 years and I don't see one. I also don't think the people protesting the shuttle busses are teachers or firefighters.

One of the great ironies I remember from my move was that it used to take me 45 minutes to get from my SF condo (inner Richmond district) to downtown SF, but it only took me 35 minutes to get from Walnut Creek to downtown SF by bart. So this notion that you need to be living in the city to work there is just not logical.
Nor is it logical to expect to find cheap housing in Walnut Creek.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nor is it logical to expect to find cheap housing in Walnut Creek.
South San Francisco? Colma? Daly City? Oakland? San Leandro? El Cerrito? Richmond? Nowhere is cheap in the Bay Area, but those places are certainly cheaper.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

A sort of irony, a reverse "Grapes of Wrath" Economic refugees in the USA.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:17 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Fremont we've been going around the rent control debate. Fortunately, it looks like the city is not going to adopt rent control but rather go for a relatively inexpensive mediation program.

The rent control proposals would have been totally counter-productive.

As for the Ghost Ship tragedy, there's lots of blame to go around:

* The city ignored all kinds of warning signs. Code violations up the wazoo were ignored.
* The tenants were way less than responsible in keeping their own home safe, especially the master tenant.
* The landlord probably turned a blind eye too.

But, of course, the victim's families are trying to sue PG&E (power company) in search of deep pockets without governmental immunity.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so to the topic of leaving the Bay Area ...

I've been in the Bay Area for 34 years, and I can say i've thoroughly enjoyed it. Always had high paying tech jobs, and managed to get into the housing market before it went crazy. I bought my first condo in SF in 85, and traded that up over several moves to a big house in the East Bay. I love the weather in the East Bay. There's a fantastic array of food choices thanks to the abundance of foreign folk in the area.

But now, I'm not working full-time any longer and I'm finding that even though I owned the same house for 22 years, the cost of maintenance is very high (scaffolding that cost $6,000 in 2004 cost roughly $20,000 this year, for example). Traffic is a nightmare if you need to get anywhere during 'normal hours'. Property taxes (even with prop 13) are high, and the cost of living is generally high. And the weather - while generally mild - has been very a real pain this past year with massive rainfall causing me no end of trouble with drainage/etc (this coming after years of drought, bringing its own set of issues).

House prices are at an all-time high. I personally can't see this continuing much longer, so I took the plunge and sold my house earlier this year. I'm now living in a temporary apartment, and spending time at my place in Scottsdale.

The great thing about living in CA is that you can move almost anywhere and save money. I personally love Scottsdale, and am scouting out houses there. But for those who prefer a cooler, wetter climate, you have Oregon and Washington to the north.

I spent 5 years living in Scottsdale from 2009-2013, and discovered that there was much to like about the place. While the dining options are not as diverse as the Bay Area, we found a good Indian restaurant, a great Dim Sum place, a great 'Pho' place, and a ton of very healthy casual spots that are better than anything we found in the Bay Area. The traffic is a breeze in general, stores appear 'empty' by comparison to the crowded stores in the Bay Area, and just about everything is cheaper - from gas at $2:10/gallon to property taxes and income taxes. And of course, real-estate ... you can buy something really fancy in a ritzy development in Scottsdale for a lot less than the Bay Area; and if you are willing to go to cities such as Chandler, Tempe, or Mesa you can get REALLY cheap housing.

My strategy is likely going to be - buy something small and decent in Scottsdale, and with the money I save, make a lot more trips out of the area during the summer when the temperature gets really high.

PS ... I'm still considering So Cal also; I"m off to Pasadena / Glendale this weekend for a look at real estate. I suspect it's cheaper but not cheap enough. I also plan to check out San Diego, but again - while it may be a bit cheaper than the Bay Area, it's not 'cheap enough' to make it worth the move.
Have you thought of Sacramento and it's proximity to the Mountains?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jeepster
Have you thought of Sacramento and it's proximity to the Mountains?
I have. Sacramento is actually a booming city at the moment, and I have a client there so have been making a few trips up there. The 'downtown' area is buzzing with life. The city itself is a bit flat, and I like to be close to hills for hiking, but that then opens the possibility of the foothills area - perhaps Folsom, and other cities up there towards Tahoe. I don't know if I can get the g/f to consider it, though. I will need to take her up there to see it.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 26th 2017 at 6:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.