Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving in 5 days... terrible cold feet.

Leaving in 5 days... terrible cold feet.

Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Leaving in 5 days... terrible cold feet.

Funniest thing I've heard all day - no car in Texas. Yeah, modify those plans real fast as it's not going to happen!

As has already been said, there are no sidewalks in most places, the temperature in April/May will be climbing to 100F+, and June/July/August (if it's anything like the panhandle) will be unbearable outside for any length of time. I can only do an hour, maybe 90 minutes of DIY outside in the summer as the sun is so strong.

No idea about Texas, but I find the US a fascinating place, and getting round and seeing places is half the reason to be in the US in the first place. There is a great culture in the south and a very interesting history.

Good luck with the move! Personally speaking, I never had cold feet about coming out here. Best thing that's happened to me in a long time.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:25 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

No car in Texas - well, everyone is taking the piss, but everyone has to make their own way, so give it a go first and see if you like it, and if you do, fine. If not, and you've got the ability to change, buy the car then.

We got 2 cars on arrival, but I used mine as little as I could. I used to push the stroller 1 mile to the nearest coffee shop and grocery store with my 20 month old and 2 month old in it. On one trip I was stopped by both a sheriff and a firetruck to ask if I was OK..............

10 years on, I still walk a lot, and I bike a lot. We're west of Houston, we have sidewalks most places, and the roads are pretty bike friendly out here. I wouldn't bike in the city though. Or walk far. And I couldn't get by without the car.

But whoever it was that mentioned getting the car to get out and explore was spot on. Texas is a great state to explore - ignore the narrow minded *****wits that visited downtown Houston once, or transited through IAH in 1972 and managed to write off a whole state on that experience - theres a whole load of history and culture here, not to mention massive diversity in scenery, climate etc, and if you limit yourself to one town, you're gonna miss out on a lot.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since the OP hasn't returned to this thread since 11/22 and was leaving for Texas on the 26th, I guess they're in Texas now and learning to cope! Perhaps we'll hear something soon!

Ian
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:37 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Probably hitching a ride to the nearest internet cafe at this very moment
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:18 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
West Palm to Miami 100%. When did you last hear about Texas, in any kind of fashion, sophicated, music, clubs, night life etc etc etc.

Frank R.
Exactly how long have you spent in Texas?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
On the way back from the gym there was a thing on the radio about some Mens Health survey (and we all know how accurate they are!) of the saddest cities in the US.

5 were in Florida....Miami being one of the top ones!

It was a Texas station, so didn't mention how many were in Texas..maybe the other 15..
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Houston, was not impressed. Been to few Cities & towns in the burbs, not impressed. I try not to visit or spend money in Racist, homophobic, (sure left few things out) States.

Frank R.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
On the way back from the gym there was a thing on the radio about some Mens Health survey (and we all know how accurate they are!) of the saddest cities in the US.

5 were in Florida....Miami being one of the top ones!

It was a Texas station, so didn't mention how many were in Texas..maybe the other 15..

Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:30 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Been to Houston, was not impressed. Been to few Cities & towns in the burbs, not impressed. I try not to visit or spend money in Racist, homophobic, (sure left few things out) States.

Frank R.
I expect you tend to steer clear of moronic, sweeping generalisations too, don't you?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I expect you tend to steer clear of moronic, sweeping generalisations too, don't you?

Reg. Frank R.