Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leaving in 5 days... terrible cold feet.

Leaving in 5 days... terrible cold feet.

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving in 5 days... terrible cold feet.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
LMFAO! I sincerely hope that's the last time in my life I see Florida compared to Texas as being "less barbaric".
I would, vote for Florida, especially South, being way less Barbaric then Texas.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
...2) If you have just moved somewhere I think you need to get out and see the country. Otherwise when you move you'll just be stuck in the same small town with the same cast of characters which will get old very quick.
This point is particularly important. When we first arrived in Texas we spent every weekend driving hundreds of miles to explore our new surroundings. We visited every State Park within 200 miles, and drove down to the Gulf Coast a couple of times just so that we could get a sense of where it was we now lived.

Showing up from the airport, installing yourself in a house in the middle of nowhere in Texas and then walking to the gym and the grocery store sounds like some sort of extreme self-punishment to me.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by frrussre
I would, vote for Florida, especially South, being way less Barbaric then Texas.

Reg. Frank R.
I find nothing barbaric about Texans at all.

They are probably the friendliest bunch of people that I have ever met and will help you anyway they can if needed.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

The less pre-conceived ideas you go there with the better. You will have to adapt to Texas it will not adapt to you. To arrive and start comparing Texas to the UK is not a good thing to do, the unsuitability of the roads for riding a bike being one small example. The ability to handle change will be a major factor in settling in. Did not see it mentioned in other threads "y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is plural and NEVER put beans in a chili.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I find nothing barbaric about Texans at all.

They are probably the friendliest bunch of people that I have ever met and will help you anyway they can if needed.
My comment was more in the sophistication , dept.

Reg. Frank
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
My comment was more in the sophistication , dept.

Reg. Frank

Florida is more sophisticated than Texas???? Really......
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
West Palm to Miami 100%. When did you last hear about Texas, in any kind of fashion, sophicated, music, clubs, night life etc etc etc.

Frank R.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Really.

I think Frank is just trying to to get us going. He can't seriously believe that, surely.

When did you last hear about Texas, in any kind of fashion, sophicated, music, clubs, night life etc etc etc

He's got his head in the sand if he thinks Texas is lacking in the above. Absurd.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares? Cali crushes both of you put together!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Who cares? Cali crushes both of you put together!
NYC.

Frank R.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:52 am
Just Joined

RoyTyrell is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHA! it's funny how this has turned into a Florida vs. Texas vs. Cali debate.

I know personally of a colleague (British) who worked for a large oil major in Brazil for a rotation. He brought home what can only be describe a SUPERMODEL from that country, married her and began a life in Houston. She made Giselle look plain - she was smoking hot.

After about 3 months he was single again - appearently she simply could not stand Houston and it's backward ways and caught the first plane back to Sao Paulo. She asked him to go back with her so that they could live a life away from the torture that was beltway 8, endless miles of soul-destroying traffic, and a vacant vapid style of living.

For all I know he may have eventually followed her back - she was that intoxicatingly beautiful. It's been a while since I contacted him.

But, I also have a very good friend at Exxon who loves Houston, has a massive pickup truck and he and is family is very well adjusted.

To each his - or her - own.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 1:07 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

None of this willy-waving gets us past the fact that the OP is F***ED in Texas without a car
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Too true. Cars rule, no way around it. You will go crazy in this country without one.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbj1000
None of this willy-waving gets us past the fact that the OP is F***ED in Texas without a car
On the money. Nail on the head. Walking 1 mile in 100f, um!!!!

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i thought they were all bonkers when there were no sidewalks anywhere - but when you realise the supermarket is down the road - which is long and straight, 10 miles away and traffic free to get to - you realise you wont be walking that anytime soon. The road goes through lots of farmland too - so there wont be sidewalks etc there anyways. You really have to live with the scale and distances to 'get it'. (i had to live it to get it)

Then you factor in the weather even her in Ohio its scorching in the summer months and knee deep in snow for weeks on end in the winter.

I even work in a building that has over 9000 employees. They have multiple car parks and about 5 tiny bike racks. And zero showers. People only cycle in the late spring when the temp is nice and the weeks between hot summer and cold winter weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.