Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Wikiposts

At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ohhh i do like it when you get all offical like
Beat whispering sweet nothings eh? (Ok maybe not)
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:05 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Do you mean the difference in injuries? It can be a bit of a gray area but ABH (Section 47) would generally be maybe a black eye, cuts, bruises that kind of thing. GBH (Section 18) would be stuff like broken limbs or knife wounds (other than attempted murder or manslaughter...which incidentally can be got for things like kicking someone in the head when they are down). A lot depends on the circumstances and what the CPS would think would get a conviction in the individual case. We may arrest on say a section 18 (GBH) if someone glassed someone in a pub fight but the actual charges might be reduced to a sec. 47 if it was more likely to get a conviction. (Lower assault charges are easier to prove and hence convict). I've even had more serious injury arrests reduced to common assault by the CPS lawyer in certain cases just to ensure a conviction when a 47 or 18 would be dodgy to get due to circumstances.

Common assault can be something as simple as a slap on the back or a tap on the arm - any unlawful physical contact - believe it or not.
Thanx, that cleared it up. I always wondered what the difference was/which one was worse. Karma for you! Oh & good luck for the move home! Congratulations!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:07 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Common assault can be something as simple as a slap on the back or a tap on the arm - any unlawful physical contact - believe it or not.
Which is not on Italian law books, obviously
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:11 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Which is not on Italian law books, obviously
Yeah, those Italian boys are very cheeky, needless to say, I can't wait for my next holiday to Italy!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming quoting statistics per 1000 of population does not cover the fact that the USA has a population approx 5x that of the UK. There is obviously more crime with a greater number of people.

Very badly explained-- just ignore this please.

Last edited by tony126; Oct 2nd 2006 at 10:21 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interesting to see figures per 1000 for the different States.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:28 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by tony126
I am assuming quoting statistics per 1000 of population does not cover the fact that the USA has a population approx 5x that of the UK. There is obviously more crime with a greater number of people.
The stats I quoted are per capita.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:56 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Do you mean the difference in injuries? It can be a bit of a gray area but ABH (Section 47) would generally be maybe a black eye, cuts, bruises that kind of thing. GBH (Section 18) would be stuff like broken limbs or knife wounds (other than attempted murder or manslaughter...which incidentally can be got for things like kicking someone in the head when they are down). A lot depends on the circumstances and what the CPS would think would get a conviction in the individual case. We may arrest on say a section 18 (GBH) if someone glassed someone in a pub fight but the actual charges might be reduced to a sec. 47 if it was more likely to get a conviction. (Lower assault charges are easier to prove and hence convict). I've even had more serious injury arrests reduced to common assault by the CPS lawyer in certain cases just to ensure a conviction when a 47 or 18 would be dodgy to get due to circumstances.

Damn, they're getting particular these days. Those things used to be normal extra curricular activities around 'The Bush', when I was a youth.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:05 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

3 school shootings in the last week or so.
Constitution or no constitution,it is no longer relevant to 250 years ago when people were fighting the British, that's what amendments are for FFS.
Why do I need to go to Big 5 or another sports store and buy a pump action shotgun( similar to one used in the Terminator movies) on sale on any given week for $200 or so.
The statistics per capita and the body count bear out the rationale that the law needs to be changed.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Damn, they're getting particular these days. Those things used to be normal extra curricular activities around 'The Bush', when I was a youth.
Don't "beat around the bush" Paddy, you was a Ted weren't you? Knuckle dusters and flicknives right?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

It's heartbreaking
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lionheart
Constitution or no constitution,it is no longer relevant to 250 years ago when people were fighting the British, that's what amendments are for FFS.
Why do I need to go to Big 5 or another sports store and buy a pump action shotgun( similar to one used in the Terminator movies) on sale on any given week for $200 or so.
The statistics per capita and the body count bear out the rationale that the law needs to be changed.
I know it, you know it, most non-US may tend to think so to. I take it you've tried to argue the point with them? May as well jab a sharp obect in your eye.

There is a legal right to have them which is sacrosanct.
Only criminals kill with them.
Its a symbol of US freedom regardless of body count.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:34 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Don't "beat around the bush" Paddy, you was a Ted weren't you? Knuckle dusters and flicknives right?
Bovver boots, bicycle chains, and a razor in the cheesecutter.

True story. There was a dance at St. Mary Cray every week. but it often ended in bovver. They decided to cool it off by banning the Teds, so everyone turned up very smart in blazer, tie, and flannels. Most would stop for a cuppa and sarnie at a cafe there before the dance. The Bill arrived to do a "pat down". No weapons were found, everyone left for the dance, and then the law turned the tables and chairs upside down end removed the various razors, knives chains, etc. that were stuck there with chewing gum.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Guns kill people.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:42 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
As my buddy Michael Moore pointed out, plenty of countries have higher incidences of gun ownership than the US (Switzerland and Canada, for two examples). The mere presence of guns isn't enough. Also, every single gun ban ever attempted (UK and Washington DC for example) has resulted in higher crime rates.

This tragic case devestates me (particularly as the father of two young girls in school), but (as has been pointed out) the fact is that a lunatic with a handgun isn't the norm. Killing in this country is much more often clinical and crime related... I can't tell which is worse.

It's worth noting that violent crime has plumeted in the US over the past several decades, but it still doesn't explain why it's so high here...

One more note, several studies have shown violent crime is worse in the UK than in the US, here's the results of one from the WODC:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2Fncrim123.xml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.