Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Wikiposts

At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:40 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/ami...ing/index.html

PARADISE, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A lone gunman walked into a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday and opened fire, killing six people, according to initial reports.

The gunman then shot and killed himself, police said.

The shooting took place at Wolf Rock School in Paradise, a school run by the Amish community with about 27 students in grades 1 through 8.

WOW!! We are going to be in Lancaster County around Intercourse and Paradise at the end of this month. :scared:
The wife and I spent our 1st wedding anniversary in Intercourse last November (well, we thought it would make a funny story to tell the kids) and having spent a few days there and seen many of these lovely, peace-loving people going about their simple, carefree lives it breaks my heart to think of them being targeted by some.... I can't even think of a word to describe the person who did this.

I went onto cnn.com to find out more and saw 2 other current stories relating to gun crime (father shoots family, Las Vegas schools closed after teenager sighted with gun).

I also remember clearly reading the local newspaper the very day I moved here and reading about how a 6 year-old at a local school had taken his father's gun and live bullets to school to show his friends.

I know this will likely never happen but I'll ask anyway: when will they ban guns in this country?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/ami...ing/index.html

PARADISE, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A lone gunman walked into a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday and opened fire, killing six people, according to initial reports.

The gunman then shot and killed himself, police said.

The shooting took place at Wolf Rock School in Paradise, a school run by the Amish community with about 27 students in grades 1 through 8.

WOW!! We are going to be in Lancaster County around Intercourse and Paradise at the end of this month. :scared:
I just have one question why? What was he trying to accomplish killing some of the most gentle and moral folks around?

My thoughts and prayers are with the families - god have mercy on us!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It only go's to show no matter where you live or how nice it is this sort of thing can happen anywhere, it's f**king crazy over here
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:10 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Originally Posted by tonrob

I know this will likely never happen but I'll ask anyway: when will they ban guns in this country?
ERM!! NEVER!! The right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution of the united states.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:12 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

ERM!! NEVER!! The right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution of the united states.
makes no real difference really.......

ban guns or don't ban guns.
Thomas Hamilton / Michael Ryan did it...................

it's the sickness in the head we need to ban
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:14 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

The wife and I spent our 1st wedding anniversary in Intercourse last November (well, we thought it would make a funny story to tell the kids) and having spent a few days there and seen many of these lovely, peace-loving people going about their simple, carefree lives it breaks my heart to think of them being targeted by some.... I can't even think of a word to describe the person who did this
We both visited Lancaster County last year. Carol is a native of Pennsylvania and wanted to show me the beautiful countryside around Lancaster County. She also wanted to take me to places with silly names, like Intercourse, Blue Ball, Paradise and other places. I love it there!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Has not made any difference in the UK from what I understand.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:19 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
I know there have been many gun incidents in the UK, including the recent Brixton McDonalds incident, and I can't claim to have any gun-crimes per head of population stats at my fingertips right now, but surely the easier access to guns in the U.S. must lead to a higher proportion of gun-related deaths or injuries? It's just mad...
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Arrow Re: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

Originally Posted by tony126
Very true, criminals can always get guns.

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
makes no real difference really.......

ban guns or don't ban guns.
Thomas Hamilton / Michael Ryan did it...................

it's the sickness in the head we need to ban
Yes, you can take the snooker balls from a mental institution, but they'll still hit each other with the cues.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:32 am
Septic Sprout

Very true, criminals can always get guns.

Yes, but we're not always talking pre-meditated 'out to rob a bank' criminals causing gun-deaths in the U.S. - we're also talking common or garden loonies who have easy access to firearms
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/...ap3060402.html

Taking revenge for something that happened 20 years ago.

I bet we'll never find out what that was.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/...ap3060402.html

Taking revenge for something that happened 20 years ago.

I bet we'll never find out what that was.

He was 32...it was 20 years ago. Sounds like he was jilted by a girl at school. Which just goes to show that mental cases are not fit to walk in society.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: At least 6 dead in Amish school shooting

How very sad.....those poor little girls in the classroom. What a horrible way for those girls to be tied up and shot in the head.... I've shed tears for them today.

I too have been to the little towns in Lancaster county - and felt guilty for gawking at them as they work the fields using a horse and plough instead of a tractor or trotting down the main road with a pony and cart/buggy; they must be irritated by the large coach parties too and have to put up with everyone staring at them.

The Amish handicrafts are beautiful, especially the quilts but personally I thought they were far too expensive (they can cost around. $500) just to put on my bed.

I have an excellent novel based on the Amish people; 'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult and is a good insight into the Amish community; for example the teenagers are allowed to have a year of 'fun' to go out and drink alcohol and party etc. They then have to decide at the end of the year to return to the fold and live a quiet moral life according to the Amish customs, or must choose to live apart from the Amish and live a 'modern' life. Apparently most of them choose to stay with their families.

I highly recommend this book. It's about how a young Amish girl is accused of smothering her newborn baby and the subsequent criminal trial:

http://www.amazon.com/Plain-Truth-Jo...e=UTF8&s=books
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:19 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

The movie is pretty good too.

The quilts are works of art, and should be displayed.

Sick people will do sick things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.