Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leasing in Houston - Merits of using a Realtor??

Leasing in Houston - Merits of using a Realtor??

Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:41 am
Just Joined

matrix1781 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leasing in Houston - Merits of using a Realtor??

Hi

I am relocating to Houston from UK in May. I will be staying in temporary accommodation for the first month and then have to move into a rental. Having done a fair bit of research, i think i have narrowed it down to a couple of areas. However, the question i have is that if I use a realtor, what would be the typical costs? is it worth using a realtor for a rental home?

Thanks

Raj
Old Apr 7th 2015, 12:04 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing in Houston - Merits of using a Realtor??

Our realtor was helpful as the market for rentals was very hot at the time and he found out about the properties before they hit har.com. Also, many wouldn't let you view without a realtor.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

matrix1781 is an unknown quantity at this point

what would be typical commission for the realtor? Will the landlords pay the commission or the tenant?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 1:37 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matrix1781
what would be typical commission for the realtor? Will the landlords pay the commission or the tenant?
We didn't have to pay our realtor commission, just the normal application fees.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:03 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matrix1781
Typically the realtors commission, 1 months rent, is paid by the landlord. What sort of place are you looking to rent? I don't know what fees the "apartment locator type services charge for prospective tenants. Is this a company transfer, and if so, wont they help you out with a realtor and/or relocation consultant?

Personally,if I were looking to rent a private property (eg single family home, private condo), I would use a realtor as it may be difficult/impossible to get a viewing without, and the realtor will be able to line up the viewings to save you legwork.