Reload this Page >

Leasing/Financing a Car with Expiring H1B

Leasing/Financing a Car with Expiring H1B

Old Dec 28th 2017, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

lucelib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leasing/Financing a Car with Expiring H1B

Hi there,

My H1B expires in a few months - I’m at the end of my six years. I-45 and I-140 have both just been filed, but nothing is moving very quickly at the moment.

The lease on my car is nearly up and I’m looking to get a new vehicle. My understanding is that I’m going to struggle to get a lease or finance a car with an expiring H1B. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions on ways to get around it? I’m in LA and a car is a must!

Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leasing/Financing a Car with Expiring H1B

Originally Posted by lucelib
Hi there,

My H1B expires in a few months - I’m at the end of my six years. I-45 and I-140 have both just been filed, but nothing is moving very quickly at the moment.

The lease on my car is nearly up and I’m looking to get a new vehicle. My understanding is that I’m going to struggle to get a lease or finance a car with an expiring H1B. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions on ways to get around it? I’m in LA and a car is a must!

Thanks
I've never been asked my immigration status when leasing, first time I did lease I was on H1B, but not aware the dealer knew. All they needed was driving licence and SSN for credit check.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mercury39
I've never been asked my immigration status when leasing, first time I did lease I was on H1B, but not aware the dealer knew. All they needed was driving licence and SSN for credit check.
Interesting. The problem I’ve run into before is that my SSN cars says it’s for work only and when the finance dept sees that, they ask for a copy of my visa.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucelib
Interesting. The problem I’ve run into before is that my SSN cars says it’s for work only and when the finance dept sees that, they ask for a copy of my visa.
I've never shown them the actually card, I've only ever written the number on the lease application form.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Was wondering this myself as my current lease through Audi Finance had to be reduced to 30 months from 36 due to the fact that my I94/passport entry stamp did not cover the full 36 month term (as it was a few months into my stay before they had me complete the forms even through I had started the process before moving over via IAS). Don't have to worry about it until early 2019 but going to have to figure out how to get around this when the time is due.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering how/if your driver's license expires when you're due to leave the country? Mine expired when my green card did and I had to renew when it was renewed (or I obtained citizenship, which is what I did!).

This, as well as the SS card are red flags to a finance company and, if they do not look at your SS card, they are not showing due diligence when lending the money for the lease/purchase.

It should not be possible to obtain any kind of financing that extends past the time you are required to leave/renew.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I'm wondering how/if your driver's license expires when you're due to leave the country? Mine expired when my green card did and I had to renew when it was renewed (or I obtained citizenship, which is what I did!).

This, as well as the SS card are red flags to a finance company and, if they do not look at your SS card, they are not showing due diligence when lending the money for the lease/purchase.

It should not be possible to obtain any kind of financing that extends past the time you are required to leave/renew.
This is my experience in the past.

Has anyone else found a workaround?