Reload this Page >

Learning to drive in the US

Wikiposts

Learning to drive in the US

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

lander91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to drive in the US

My UKC husband has never learned to drive, as he's lived in/near London all his life. We're planning to move to Colorado in early 2015, and one of the things we're researching is how to go about getting him a driving license. I've done some research and confirmed that we will have to wait until he's received his SSN (he'll be studying the material so he's ready to pass the written exam right away), as CO requires this for both learners permit and full license.

However our biggest concern is the actual learning process - I'm not quite your "normal" learner since I was given a 12-passenger van at age 17 (big family, lol) and passed my driving test in it, and aside from the mandatory hours with an instructor, my parents taught me all I needed to know.

I'm leaning toward teaching him myself and having him drive around a lot for practice, and also getting a couple of short lessons to make sure he knows what the examiner will be marking him on, but we're looking for any input people might offer regarding the pros and cons of practice with a spouse vs. professional training.

Also driving school recommendations in the western Denver area would be excellent - I've found a few options from internet searches but am still wading through them comparing prices, options, etc.

Kristi
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive in the US

Originally Posted by lander91
..... regarding the pros and cons of practice with a spouse vs. professional training. ....
It depends on whether you plan to remain married? *

* Based on being a back seat passenger with my sister while my father tried to teach my mother to drive. Despite some professional lessons too, she never has passed a driving test. (Note: she's a life-long resident of the UK.)

Joking apart, as you're talking about more than a year ahead, I'd recommend taking lessons in London, even if he doesn't get as far as taking a test, because he'll learn more in a handful of lessons in London than he'll need to pass any road test in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 2nd 2013 at 7:54 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen cars that appear that they are from a Driving School, but they are very very rare.

I doubt if there will be any choice.

Fortunately not needed to pass a US Driving Test, once around the block and you can learn for the written test whilst waiting for your appointment in the DMV office.

Or just do what I did and guess. Pretty obvious.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:13 am
Just Joined

stuexeter is an unknown quantity at this point

Get him to learn and take his test in the UK so that he has a UK license before going over, that way he can drive over there from day one. He can then take his test to get his US license when you get there and he'll pass easily without needing any lessons stateside.

Plus it's good to know how to drive a manual.

Last edited by stuexeter; Oct 2nd 2013 at 8:16 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. You'll have enough to deal with here.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

gbtbag is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Agreed. You'll have enough to deal with here.
I took my UK driving test more than 40 years ago but from what I've seen over here in Los Angeles, the actual driving test is easier than the UK test. Every state is different so I can't speak for Colorado.

If you pass your CA test on an automatic, you can still rent or buy a stick shift/manual car without more lessons. Personally I think it's dangerous. I once read about an American tourist who hired a car in London and drove to Cornwall in second gear the whole time. It may be an apocryphal story but it's funny.

Anyway, unless your husband is planning to buy a classic car or a sports car, he has no need to learn how to drive a manual car.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gbtbag
..... Anyway, unless your husband is planning to buy a classic car or a sports car, he has no need to learn how to drive a manual car.
In which of those two groups would you place my '03 Accord and my '03 Ford pickup?

If you can drive a manual you have the choice to buy a more mechanically robust, more reliable, and often more economical vehicle, as well as one better suited to extreme conditions, including winter weather.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Need to check to see what requirements there are to get a learners permit and how many driving hours/school is needed before taking a test if you've never held a license.

Might be nothing, might be 40 hours worth of lessons with x number of hours in the dark for instance.

It's enough hassle to deal with when you're trying to settle, so it'll be worth getting the license in the UK, plus it's better to learn how to drive properly before being given a license than be something you have to do after you get a license and have to learn yourself.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Need to check to see what requirements there are to get a learners permit and how many driving hours/school is needed before taking a test if you've never held a license.

Might be nothing, might be 40 hours worth of lessons with x number of hours in the dark for instance.

It's enough hassle to deal with when you're trying to settle, so it'll be worth getting the license in the UK, plus it's better to learn how to drive properly before being given a license than be something you have to do after you get a license and have to learn yourself.
I think those compulsory hours are only for teens.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:13 am
Account Closed

In Colorado all you need is a pulse.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think those compulsory hours are only for teens.
Depends on the state. Up in Maine it's for everyone under 21, then after that, only a requirement to have so many hours day/night in a car.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 11:48 am
Account Closed

No requirement in CO.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gbtbag
I took my UK driving test more than 40 years ago but from what I've seen over here in Los Angeles, the actual driving test is easier than the UK test.
Six minutes!

That's how long my NY state practical driving test was. I didn't really learn to drive until I took my CDL.

Frighteningly easy.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:07 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boiler
In Colorado all you need is a pulse.

I will be taking my CO licence as soon as I get over there in spring in Fort Collins so will let you know how I get on
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

As I got into the car on my FL driving test, the instructor clocked the accent, and said "We wont be doing the whole test, I don't know why they make you do this. We'll park at the back of the building and wait 10 minutes."

No word of a lie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.