Learning to drive in the US

Wikiposts

Learning to drive in the US

Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Learning to drive in the US

Originally Posted by Bob
Driving schools are rare and tend to be pricey...
Is that because unlike in the UK where most people use them even for a few lessons if dad/mum is teaching etc, kids in MA learn driving at school?

Sorry to be such a thicko, I've never driven in the UK, neither has DH, he never learnt in MA either, and said at his particular school he didn't have lessons. (Whether they did them but he didn't sign up I don't know).

I know a younger friend of our's father told us MA has one of the more difficult driving tests, not like one of these states where all you need to do is drive round some cones and park. Lol. He actually said he had to sit in with our friend (his son) while he took his test. They make the parents do that because they were complaining about the examiners, saying how dare they fail their kid, he's a great driver etc. If they sit in on the test they get to know why they failed.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Is that because unlike in the UK where most people use them even for a few lessons if dad/mum is teaching etc, kids in MA learn driving at school?

Sorry to be such a thicko, I've never driven in the UK, neither has DH, he never learnt in MA either, and said at his particular school he didn't have lessons. (Whether they did them but he didn't sign up I don't know).

I know a younger friend of our's father told us MA has one of the more difficult driving tests, not like one of these states where all you need to do is drive round some cones and park. Lol. He actually said he had to sit in with our friend (his son) while he took his test. They make the parents do that because they were complaining about the examiners, saying how dare they fail their kid, he's a great driver etc. If they sit in on the test they get to know why they failed.
Same in NJ hardly any driving schools. They do not teach practical driving in school...only driver's ed. You must pass the written driver's ed test before you can get a learner's permit.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Tend to do drivers education in school.

Practice driving with the folks and get taught by parents rather than schools. Around here at least.

There are a couple of schools though for driving, but they are one person band type thing rather than anything like RAC/AA.

MA might be harder than some other states, but frankly, you have to be a complete lemon to still fail here...but the test is at least on regular roads.

They even allow learners on the motorway in this state....and without anyone having L plates, you can't actually tell if someone is a learner or just especially a shit driver here.

Originally Posted by Squirrel

Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen anything like "L" plates anywhere in the US, but its possible some states out there do something like this. If you have a learner's permit, that allows you to drive on any road you want to, as long as you have a licensed driver in the car (& whatever other requirements your state has).

I think the driver's education varies by state. My home state of KY actually does not allow driver's ed in school, AFAIK. I think this is due to liability reasons. It is the parents responsibility to teach the kid, or set their kid up with lessons. I do think KY requires a certain number of hours with an instructor though (but only if under 18 I believe).

Why is the OP thinking of pursuing a license while in the US, unless he/she plans on overstaying? It seems something that can be inferred from their post.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I've never seen anything like "L" plates anywhere in the US, but its possible some states out there do something like this. If you have a learner's permit, that allows you to drive on any road you want to, as long as you have a licensed driver in the car (& whatever other requirements your state has).

I think the driver's education varies by state. My home state of KY actually does not allow driver's ed in school, AFAIK. I think this is due to liability reasons. It is the parents responsibility to teach the kid, or set their kid up with lessons. I do think KY requires a certain number of hours with an instructor though (but only if under 18 I believe).
Haven't heard of L plates in any state over here...though most states do restrict learners from the motorway...only a few daft ones like Mass don't.

Drivers Ed, in school, usually consists of watching videos of people driving, of accidents and the like, rather than actual in a car lessons from the school. Here and up in Maine, like you said, would be required x number completed to get a learners permit if under 18.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Haven't heard of L plates in any state over here...though most states do restrict learners from the motorway...only a few daft ones like Mass don't.

Drivers Ed, in school, usually consists of watching videos of people driving, of accidents and the like, rather than actual in a car lessons from the school. Here and up in Maine, like you said, would be required x number completed to get a learners permit if under 18.
I've seen L plates once or twice. In NJ new drivers have to have 4 hours mandatory driving with an instructor before they can drive with parents etc. The first time she drove a car the instructor took her straight onto the motorway and said if she wanted to drive with one hand now was the time to start.